These VST Plugins are so damn expensive!! $$

StaticC

I do not have the money at all to get any of these plugins (nexus, kontakt, omnisphere, sylenth1, all the sounds that go with them, etc) that these youtubers are using in their tutorials. I don't know if there is any way of obtaining the certain sounds and programs or anything. And believe me I have perused through many pirate sites and I still can't find any that work!!! Anyone got any pointers on how to overcome such a large price barrier for a beginner like me?

Last edited:
This is what I do: I work 70+ hours bi-weekly at my job and every other Friday (which, in most westernized cultures, is known as "payday"), when the money my job pays me in exchange for work (which, in most westernized cultures, is called a "paycheck") hits my bank account, I put aside a small sum of money. This is called "savings". I don't put aside too much, or too little-just enough. I repeat this process however many times it takes until I have enough money to purchase what it is I want. Then, I purchase whatever it is I want. YMMV, of course. In the meantime, I study my current tools. Sometimes, I become well-versed enough with my current tools to realize I truly didn't need what I was saving for-now I have saved money.
If there is any part of this you do not understand, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
This is what I do: I work 70+ hours bi-weekly at my job and every other Friday (which, in most westernized cultures, is known as "payday"), when the money my job pays me in exchange for work (which, in most westernized cultures, is called a "paycheck") hits my bank account, I put aside a small sum of money. This is called "savings". I don't put aside too much, or too little-just enough. I repeat this process however many times it takes until I have enough money to purchase what it is I want. Then, I purchase whatever it is I want. YMMV, of course. In the meantime, I study my current tools. Sometimes, I become well-versed enough with my current tools to realize I truly didn't need what I was saving for-now I have saved money.
If there is any part of this you do not understand, feel free to ask.
Problem is that I am a junior in high school so I have to worry about my school work and stuff. Although Music Production is what I would like to do with my life, I still need a backup plan so I want to do good in school. Do you know of any free alternatives to the programs I listed or am I just shit out of luck and have to wait until I have enough time to get a job?

I do not have the money at all to get any of these plugins (nexus, kontakt, omnisphere, sylenth1, all the sounds that go with them, etc) that these youtubers are using in their tutorials. I don't know if there is any way of obtaining the certain sounds and programs or anything. And believe me I have perused through many pirate sites and I still can't find any that work!!! Anyone got any pointers on how to overcome such a large price barrier for a beginner like me?

There are pirate sites that have these plugins, especially torrent sites. But be careful with software piracy. At least don't wait to get paid using these sounds from pirate sites because you need to prove your copyright. You can publish them without any problem, but you can't profit from them.

Thank you, do you know what plugin will run fxp/fxb's into fl studio without nexus or sylenth or something?

There are pirate sites that have these plugins, especially torrent sites.

If you use pirated software - you're the dick that drives up the prices of legitimate software for the rest of us.

OP is a highschool junior... I'm a father of 3 with a full time job - mortgage, car, insurance payments, bills, bills, bills...

I'd bet my left arm that most highschool kids have more disposable income than me.

Pumthrust was spot on... Save up... Stop whining like a little girl and use the plugs on your DAW until you can afford better.

FFS.

If you use pirated software - you're the dick that drives up the prices of legitimate software for the rest of us.

OP is a highschool junior... I'm a father of 3 with a full time job - mortgage, car, insurance payments, bills, bills, bills...

I'd bet my left arm that most highschool kids have more disposable income than me.

Pumthrust was spot on... Save up... Stop whining like a little girl and use the plugs on your DAW until you can afford better.

FFS.

How the **** do you know that the use of pirated software drives up the price of legitimate softwares for the rest of us ?
I am really curious about it. I am a software engineer and this is my first time i hear such a thing.
Anyway, I was not telling this kid to use pirated software. I was just trying to give him some information.
You said that you are a father of 3 that is making HipHop in the spare room and your income is less than a high school kid...Maybe you should focus more on the producing and less on the dicks that drive up the price of legitimate softwares. :)

Last edited:
Double edged sword be the act of pirates.
Some developers pirate their own software to test it out and look for bugs and stuff or just for fun.
One example is laidback melda. Image line don't like it, no developers like it like that but they are aware of y'all.

It is not advised to pirate unless you intend to use it temporarily in the decision making process.

How the **** do you know that the use of pirated software drives up the price of legitimate softwares for the rest of us ?
I am really curious about it. I am a software engineer and this is my first time i hear such a thing.

I currently work in procurement and purchasing; talking with reps on a project I'm heading up for licences for some specific analytical software across the faculty (access for all academics, post-docs and PhDs - it's a big deal) - they have a pretty good idea how many pirate-users they have (torrent seeds etc) and the cost of the stolen software is offset against the recommended retail. Not so much a problem for us at work as big EDU & quantity discount as well as VAT exemption (medical research) but smaller laboratories and scientific companies pay through the nose...
I figure it's a similar deal for DAWs. Look at the price of pro upgrade/crossgrade packages for legitimate users compared to new licences! It's a reward for loyalty and the offset is against the new user!

And I hit the '3' instead of the '2'... My bad... Definitely only 2.

Also, I said 'disposable income' and pointed out priorities that a school kid does not have to contend with... My income is solid; as are my outgoings.

Last edited:

FFS.
Ight, first off chill. Second off I don't have a job because I have school and that is my point. I am trying to find free alternatives. And I don't pirate things, I got FL for my birthday. I'm sorry if what I just said came off as mean but I just wanted to know of free alternatives. I am not trying to find a way to pirate those things even though I will admit to actually looking on pirate sites for those programs.

There are pirate sites that have these plugins, especially torrent sites. But be careful with software piracy. At least don't wait to get paid using these sounds from pirate sites because you need to prove your copyright. You can publish them without any problem, but you can't profit from them.
Yes thank you, I have tried to stay away from the pirate sites but I will admit to looking across the sites to see if they had it when I was in desperate times lol.

Heads up again, Tyrell, zebralette and DSK are some you would not want to pass up.
Csound is one of those "program language" synths with no limits but never learned it lol.

I currently work in procurement and purchasing; talking with reps on a project I'm heading up for licences for some specific analytical software across the faculty (access for all academics, post-docs and PhDs - it's a big deal) - they have a pretty good idea how many pirate-users they have (torrent seeds etc) and the cost of the stolen software is offset against the recommended retail. Not so much a problem for us at work as big EDU & quantity discount as well as VAT exemption (medical research) but smaller laboratories and scientific companies pay through the nose...
I figure it's a similar deal for DAWs. Look at the price of pro upgrade/crossgrade packages for legitimate users compared to new licences! It's a reward for loyalty and the offset is against the new user!

And I hit the '3' instead of the '2'... My bad... Definitely only 2.

Also, I said 'disposable income' and pointed out priorities that a school kid does not have to contend with... My income is solid; as are my outgoings.

Working in procurement and purchasing isn't related with software marketing. Anyway, I was not talking about softwares that are used in EDU. That's a different topic. I was talking about DAW's and vst plugins and that is not a similar deal for softwares used in EDU. In music industry there are a lot of competitors so are the DAW's competing with each other in price and everything to sell as much as they can. Now, you tell me what's the profit of increasing the price for the software if there are a lot of other softwares that offer you the same thing ?
Be careful when you call a person you don't know a dick. I don't like that kind of talking with people, especially with men that call themselves a dad. The reason I replied to you was because of this kid trying to help him.
All the best !!!

Last edited:

You were encouraging piracy in the comment above which is why you got the response you got.
To the OP: I forget there is a generation of kids coming up wanting to learn music who think the Star Wars prequels are good and everything on a computer should be free. Your generation is dumb, but whatever. Not to discourage you from music, but unless you are learning to play an instrument (which would be a much better use of your time than fuccing up your parent's computer with viruses), curb your sense of entitlement, focus on school and not being a twat.

You were encouraging piracy in the comment above which is why you got the response you got.
To the OP: I forget there is a generation of kids coming up wanting to learn music who think the Star Wars prequels are good and everything on a computer should be free. Your generation is dumb, but whatever. Not to discourage you from music, but unless you are learning to play an instrument (which would be a much better use of your time than fuccing up your parent's computer with viruses), curb your sense of entitlement, focus on school and not being a twat.

Human, you should read my lines again. I said " be careful with software piracy ". Now, you tell me where the **** is the piracy encouragement here ???
You can't discourage me from music because you don't know who I am. :)
Who are you to judge all generation and beside that you don't know my generation. ;)
Have a good day sir because nobody asked you to explain me the response I got...unless you are my assistant.:4theloveofgod:

Human, you should read my lines again. I said " be careful with software piracy ". Now, you tell me where the **** is the piracy encouragement here ???
You can't discourage me from music because you don't know who I am. :)
Who are you to judge all generation and beside that you don't know my generation. ;)
Have a good day sir because nobody asked you to explain me the response I got...unless you are my assistant.:4theloveofgod:
The "To the OP" part was not addressed to you, anyone with a sense of proper reading comprehension (like, perhaps, an ACTUAL software dev, not some kid pretending to be one) would've gotten that.

Back