is there any rule about when to play off key notes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akulli

i hear some music playing off key notes and it still sounds good
does anyone know anything about when to play off key notes ?

There are no rules

No rules, but suggestions on what works over what type of chord, For example, when soloing over a chord progression in the key of C major, the fourth degree (F) of the C major scale is considered an avoid note, so when playing, musicians will either raise the fourth (F#) or use the fourth as a passing tone (meaning you do not linger on it for too long-use it to quickly move between two notes....unless that ugly sound is what you want).
Ultimately, what you decide to play is up to you-not the "rules" of theory.

BTW: Why do people whom obviously do not know theory assume it is just a bunch of "rules"? Like, what are these "rules" of theory that Akulli keeps talking about?

No rules, but suggestions on what works over what type of chord, For example, when soloing over a chord progression in the key of C major, the fourth degree (F) of the C major scale is considered an avoid note, so when playing, musicians will either raise the fourth (F#) or use the fourth as a passing tone (meaning you do not linger on it for too long-use it to quickly move between two notes....unless that ugly sound is what you want).
Ultimately, what you decide to play is up to you-not the "rules" of theory.

BTW: Why do people whom obviously do not know theory assume it is just a bunch of "rules"? Like, what are these "rules" of theory that Akulli keeps talking about?

Soloing over the c major scale and avoiding the 4th? I can't say I've ever heard of that as the fourth and are quite favorable.

I think people believe there are rules because they don't think about what the word theory actually means

Soloing over the c major scale and avoiding the 4th? I can't say I've ever heard of that as the fourth and are quite favorable.

I think people believe there are rules because they don't think about what the word theory actually means
Do you play jazz? Better yet, have you listened to what a Imaj11 sounds like? A perfect fourth above the root of the I chord sounds...mmmkkkaaayyy (if that is what you want-remember, no "rules"), but then you would have a clash against the 3rd of the chord creating a minor 2nd interval (once again, if your ears like ugly...have at it), hence the fourth being treated as an avoid note (when voiced against a major I chord). I have to stress that it is not a RULE, but simply a convention based upon the commonly agreed notion that certain intervals are undesirable in certain circumstances.

I have to stress that it is not a RULE, but simply a convention based upon the commonly agreed notion that certain intervals are undesirable in certain circumstances.

Sure, all depends on what you're after.

I dabble in jazz here and there, but most of the shows I work with don't request it so....

Last edited:
why do you talk like you are so offended by the fact that i said "Rules" ?
And yes i "Obviously do not know theory" because why would make a threat like this if not?
Keeps talking about ?
i only said "Rules" once.
even if i did "Keep talking about it". i don't see anything bad in trying to learn
you even answered yourself. "Why do they assume its just a bunch of "Rules" ? "People whom obviously do not know theory"
i forgot to learn it at my moms womb so excuse me.
Besides, they are just like rules .... i don't know what you call them, but one doesn't go on the piano and start playing random notes do they ?
no they don't. meaning they are playing by some rules otherwise it wouldn't sound as beautiful.

Last edited:
why do you talk like you are so offended by the fact that i said "Rules" ?
And yes i "Obviously do not know theory" because why would make a threat like this if not?
Keeps talking about ?
i only said "Rules" once.
even if i did "Keep talking about it". i don't see anything bad in trying to learn
you even answered yourself. "Why do they assume its just a bunch of "Rules" ? "People whom obviously do not know theory"
i forgot to learn it at my moms womb so excuse me.
Besides, they are just like rules .... i don't know what you call them, but one doesn't go on the piano and start playing random notes do they ?
no they don't. meaning they are playing by some rules otherwise it wouldn't sound as beautiful.

Since you ignored the rest of my original comment...
I am waiting for you to tell me what these "rules" are, since you insist there is despite having a complete ignorance of this topic. I have studied a bit of theory and play jazz and have never heard of any "rules", so, please-help me help you.

(or not, and write another defensive post about what "rules" you didn't learn and blah blah blah....)

Since you ignored the rest of my original comment...
I am waiting for you to tell me what these "rules" are, since you insist there is despite having a complete ignorance of this topic. I have studied a bit of theory and play jazz and have never heard of any "rules", so, please-help me help you.

(or not, and write another defensive post about what "rules" you didn't learn and blah blah blah....)

The only reason i would write a defensive post is after you write an offensive post.
I didn't ignore the rest of your post, i read it carefully and tried to learn the most out of it.
it doesn't matter to me what you studied, no matter how big of a wall 'o text, full of useful information you write in your post.
if at the end you nag about why i don't know these things, its ( All x Zero ).

Last edited:
The only reason i would write a defensive post is after you write an offensive post.
I didn't ignore the rest of your post, i read it carefully and tried to learn the most out of it.
it doesn't matter to me what you studied, no matter how big of a wall 'o text, full of useful information you write in your post.
if at the end you nag about why i don't know these things, its ( All x Zero ).

Not knowing these things, I would expect you to be a bit more humble towards someone trying to help you versus getting butthurt over some innocuous text but what is the point if you're gonna ignore it because..."waaahhh...he hurtz ma feelinz?" But that is what I get for being helpful I suppose.....

Last edited:
Not knowing these things, I would expect you to be a bit more humble towards someone trying to help you versus getting butthurt over some innocuous text, but that is what I get for being helpful I suppose....
Butthurt ? :') lol you need to stop with these words. just talk normally why do you have such attitude.
its your own fault. there's a reason i didn't say anything towards Cyko.

If you want to make a sound that's already known to humans, follow an already built scale. ...If you want to make a sound "alien" to humans, don't. There are no rules, I guess, but if you write a song in a certain scale, it'll make a certain sound. If you get "jazzy" and write something different, it's going to give a very alien, or at least different, sound. ...hint hint. lol new music is always more fun to listen too.

Last edited:
Well, there are "rules," but they are routinely ignored as such...

OP, it all depends on the context and/or your definition of "off key," but the usual application is as previously mentioned, as passing tones or pivot points in what are called "altered" scales.

This should have been a simple thread and a teachable-moment opportunity about some interesting and applicable theory, but everybody seems a bit emotional here. OP, research scales, modes, altered scales, chromatic scales. Closing thread.

GJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back