Are there any instruments you can play with one hand?

ONE80

I wanted to know this because i don't have the full use of my right hand (but i am right handed), and i am very interested in playing just about any instrument i can get my hands on. i know that i won't be able to play as good as someone with both hands, but if any of you can be of any help, then plz don't hesitate.

click your fingers together...snap...snap...snap

single note melodies on a piano or keyboard,

also...LoL Moogman

moogman said:
The drummer from def leapord has one hand...

i wanted to say that as well.. ;)

mackie: why are you laughing?? rick allen, def leppards drummer, really has only one arm..

I want to say the keyboard would be good and harp if you can

Harmonica can be done one-handed... but my data shows that even though its one handed its not safe while driving. ;) Especially on the highway when its raining on heavy traffic.

There's always vocals...

How much can you get out of your right hand? If you can squeeze your thumb and index finger together you can play guitar.

If you can flex one or two of your fingers you can play bass.

Trumpet

A host of percussion instruments

i just had a surgery on my thumb so i don't know right now. i can flex my fingers at the first joint, but i cant bend them at my knuckles.

Wes Montgomery plucked the guitar with just his thumb(bass can be played this way). A rock guitarist whose name skips my mind played with 1 or 2 fingers missing on his fret hand. As stated above, there is a one armed drummer. Stevie Wonder is blind. All 3 lead singers from Israel Vibrations have Pollio.

Anything is possible.

Is this a permenant or temporary condition?

it would seem pretty permanent. With some more therapy it should get better, but it will never be 100%. I think you guys have inspired me to at least try.

thanks.

Last edited:
Go for it! You'd probably come up with a style all your own.

Let us know which instrument you choose.

baggysound said:

i wanted to say that as well.. ;)

mackie: why are you laughing?? rick allen, def leppards drummer, really has only one arm..

it was funny because you would have to chop off your arm to perform that solution

i agree, dont give up and work hard to reabilitate your right hand, and then you can start playing guitar!

Are you Dave Mustaine from MegaDetH by any chance?...

Mackie said:
i agree, dont give up and work hard to reabilitate your right hand, and then you can start playing guitar!

Are you Dave Mustaine from MegaDetH by any chance?...

lol

don't know how I missed this one....

I know that Django Reinhardt played guitar with only two fingers on his left hand

as for your hand what exercises have you been given? I had surgery on my left thumb two Easters ago after the base of it became badly infected after a pinch injury to the webbing at the base. When I consulted the physio on exercises she was pleasantly surprised that I had started my own routines which exceeded what she wanted me to do:

to whit
tip of the thumb to the tip of each finger and then progressively move to each joint of each finger until you reach your palm (the knuckle position) - hold for as long as you can or 10 seconds whichever is longer; progressively extend the time to 30 seconds

doing the above should get you back to at least 955 of your prior mobility. I know that there was no long term damage as I was playing bass in band at Christmas that same year

as for playing an instrument anything is possible - guitar is more about left hand than right hand if you buy yourself a so called right handed guitar - the left hand does all the work on the neck and frets whilst the right simply strums or picks individual strings

Back