taking music business classes. is this a good way to get a job in the music industry?

Strizz

so im tired of my job and want to go back to school.. but I know that there probably isn't any jobs out there that id like other than workin in the music industry... I just love being in the studio and the whole process of recording, mixing, ect Honestly I don't know a lot of the jobs that the music industry offers.... I know what A&R is and I think I would like to do that job cuz I think I have a good ear for new talent.. Ive always been the guy that al my friends come to and ask what are some good song and artist and back in the day I was always making mix cds for everyone in high school..And everytime I watch Get Him To The Greek im like "**** I want that job" But I have heard that u don't really need to go to school to be an A&R and lot of people get A&R jobs because they know somebody who knows somebody.... I like to record people and mix songs im still very amateur at it tho... I thought about going to school for being an engineer but I know a lot of people say it is a waist of money cuz u can just learn it on your own with out spending $20k on tuition... and plus I heard recording engineers is more of a entrepreneur type business and it isn't easy to land a full time job unless your really good...

so I guess whaat I am asking is is it easy to land a job with a label or artist if u take Music Business courses?

And what kinda jobs are there in the music business besides the ones I have said that a person can get with no experience and just a music business degree?????

And if you make all or majority of your income from the music industry. could u please tell the path you took to becoming successful in the industry ?

it comes down to networking at the end of the day honestly... if you're networking skills are good sure.. make sure the teachers have stain in the industry

in your scenario the only reason you'll be going is to gain connections. Thats worth whatever your tuition is as long as you dont waste the chance. Because without them you have NO chance. If your goal is to get employed at a record label id pretty much be inclined to just tell you to give up now, the entire music industry is about being an entrepreneur now, not just being an engineer.

The only way youll get on a label is by finding and doing all the work for free first. And brining the label talent, talent that proves to make money. Once the label sees you can make them money, you MIGHT get a job. They are not going to hire you because of a degree, and they DEF WILL NOT hire you unless you have an enticing client list.
Labels dont take chances anymore.

Last edited:
Back