Suggestions to train to hear good samples?

slayerpianoman

So I''m a musician with 18 years experience, I'm 22, and I'm a jazz pianist and I'm pro level, so luckily I know all the theory needed to produce, but I am deeply humbled by the awesomely skilled producers I see on youtube and abroad. I love beat production and hip hop, the art form speaks to me and symbolizes where I live. I live in Chicago and want to go into the underground and make a name for myself. It's not about pride, it's just about meeting people, making kick ass music, and taking the next step in actually becoming the outgoing person I want to be, rather than the introverted person I am now. The art speaks to my inner nostalgia, it's a personal growth thing that I deeply want to explore it, and I respect all who do. My struggle isn't the harmonies, or knowing the vibes I want to put out, it's literally hearing the samples within. It's like I hear all these producers doing wonderful things with a jazz record, but when I listen to Kind of Blue or any dope jazz album I just don't hear the samples like others do. It's like the magic moments within the music I just don't pick up on, and I can't find anything that sounds good. My aural skills are good, so I know what's going on theoretically, but it's like people just hear something and go "THAT! I want that!" I've only found something decent once off a Thelonious Monk and made a beat, and it wasn't great but it wasn't bad, but it was almost fluke luck. I'm just asking if anyone has any tips or advice on how to hear the potential beats within the music, and how to train myself over time to hear them better? I wish there was someone who could train me in person, but like most producers I assume, you have to do it yourself, and youtube is great but no one really helps in this category. I would really appreciate any input you guys have.

So I''m a musician with 18 years experience, I'm 22, and I'm a jazz pianist and I'm pro level, so luckily I know all the theory needed to produce, but I am deeply humbled by the awesomely skilled producers I see on youtube and abroad. I love beat production and hip hop, the art form speaks to me and symbolizes where I live. I live in Chicago and want to go into the underground and make a name for myself. It's not about pride, it's just about meeting people, making kick ass music, and taking the next step in actually becoming the outgoing person I want to be, rather than the introverted person I am now. The art speaks to my inner nostalgia, it's a personal growth thing that I deeply want to explore it, and I respect all who do. My struggle isn't the harmonies, or knowing the vibes I want to put out, it's literally hearing the samples within. It's like I hear all these producers doing wonderful things with a jazz record, but when I listen to Kind of Blue or any dope jazz album I just don't hear the samples like others do. It's like the magic moments within the music I just don't pick up on, and I can't find anything that sounds good. My aural skills are good, so I know what's going on theoretically, but it's like people just hear something and go "THAT! I want that!" I've only found something decent once off a Thelonious Monk and made a beat, and it wasn't great but it wasn't bad, but it was almost fluke luck. I'm just asking if anyone has any tips or advice on how to hear the potential beats within the music, and how to train myself over time to hear them better? I wish there was someone who could train me in person, but like most producers I assume, you have to do it yourself, and youtube is great but no one really helps in this category. I would really appreciate any input you guys have.

Hey man,

First off, kudos to you for already nailing your theory knowledge! (Most producers sleep/don't have that). From your post, I can tell you kind of see music production as something you 'practice' (which, in a sense, is true). But, when it comes to just being creative and finding that sweet moment in a sample, there's no way to "hear" it or to "train" yourself to find it. Really, I'd argue that there is no exact "sweet spot" in a record; its all in what you make it to be. That's why you can see one producer hear a sample and toss it out as trash, while another producer will take that same sample and make a hit instrumental with it. It's all about the vision you as an artist have for the sample and what you can do with it. I'd honestly say, now that you've got the technique and book knowledge out of the way, it's time for you to just stretch your creative muscle if you want to grow as a beat maker. You have to explore your creative voice, despite what other producers say, and see where it leads you. That's how you truly stand out as a music producer. So my recommendation of "training" for you, no matter how mediocre you think your beats come out, is to keep producing. Constantly. If you want exact specifics, I'd recommend making 1 full beat using a sample everyday at the least if you have the time for it, but if not, then whatever consistency that you can manage closest to that will do. Just constantly force your mind to be creative and do something you've never done before and listen to producer whom you admire and take their style and technique, but put your own spin on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The magic trick is to simply sample the sh*t outta everything and see where it goes. After a while of trying things out you'll probably start "hearing the samples" - or the potential - a bit better, but I really think it's about experimenting and looping a lot of not-so-obvious things to get to the hidden gold.

tips on how to hear a good sample? no.. it;s something deep inside you that can't be described... and honestly what a good sample to one person, may not be a good person to another.. so it's decisive answer... feel me.

Any sound that you like can be a sample. Surely there are songs that you like but when a part appear, you really like that part specifically ..sample it.

I generally start a track weeks/days/hours before I actually touch the Maschine (what I use... Use something else if it works for you... No worries)... I work in an office during the day and we have a radio. I have a pen. If I don't have a 'post-it' when I hear a track I dig I write it on my forearm...
I listen to Hip Hop in the car... If I get stuck on a track there, I'll find out who they sampled it from and get that artists back-catalogue to see what else they've got...
At home I listen to a lot of Stax/Motown/Soul/Reggae and 'world' music and I'll take what I like...

you sound like music is a major part of your life... You're doing all the right things... Practice. Practice with stuff you know. Practice with stuff you love. Practice with stuff you only just heard! Practice with stuff you think none of your peers will have heard. Practice with the classics and the standards.

and read up on timestretching...

You're good.

sounds like u gotta build sum confidence - self esteem is shot just believe in yourself and in your work' trust even at times i tend to doubt my self but who doesnt ,as artists were always trying to strive for the best and our best isnt good enough trust , i know ' u just got to stick to ur heart and follow it

Last edited:
Back