Stop Giving Away FREE Beats...

I don't agree with this thread.

I think if everyone charged for their beats, it would be a lot harder for rappers starting out, there's be less diversity in the scene and it would hobble the whole industry.

It's essentially economic protectionism, which is generally considered a bad thing.

I think the best thing that us producers can do is make sure that any free content is tagged. Even though it is minimal, many rappers don't want a beat if it has a tag. I think this will discourage people from rampantly downloading free beats, but it still allows young producers to get their name out.

I completely agree; until now I gave m music away, and now that I haven't time to make as much music as I used to people start to complain about the free music i OWE them. Do you see the problem here? If you give people free stuff that took houuuurs to make and finally give it for free you make they feel like your music don't worth paying for ...

This video woke me up! thanks buddy

I am new to all of this so maybe somebody can help me out but wouldn't it be good to give away free beats at least when you're getting started? I feel like if you don't have a certain level of social proof then people will not see value in what you are charging.

Never give them away for free. If you're networking, and you have no other options and no body of work, maybe give them away demanding to be (ft. YOU) on the track post so you can develop a body of work, but once your portfolio has a few items in it, you've gotta start turning a profit. You know the producers are.

In my opinion, any producer who "gives" away music is doing just that, giving it away. Most producers don't know the reproductions of giving away free audio to someone they don't even know, especially without registering the works with the Electronic Copyright Office. Even registering it with BMI, SESAC, or another orgranization can protect you if your marketing plan is to "give away free leases," which I strongly advise against because it devalues your work and sets future expectations for musicians who want your work, stand behind your product, register it with the copyright office, and get that dough with licensing baby!!

Back