Stop Giving Away FREE Beats...

I'll give away a free beat in exchange for some type of service. I've worked with many photographers this way. If I'm working with an artist exclusively, I will put faith in him and give him tracks. Paperwork will always be involved.

I'll give away a free beat in exchange for some type of service. I've worked with many photographers this way. If I'm working with an artist exclusively, I will put faith in him and give him tracks. Paperwork will always be involved.

As long as it's a real artist, and not some delusional gas station worker who thinks they are the next big thing. I would only give free beats to somebody that's actually getting studio time, signed to a label, or already has a fan base. If somebody who records in their bedroom asks for a free beat or $20 lease, I would tell them to just download an instrumental off YouTube for free. They aren't going to make any money and neither would you. If you give a free beat to somebody on an Indie label taking this serious recording in a real studio and has real sales, and work up some deal like maybe a vocal tag at the beginning of the song or a (Produced by X) in the song title, then it would be very beneficial for you.

you aren't giving it away if you receive something in return

- how you value it is what value that service is worth under normal retail conditions

- whether or not that is equivalent to the value you should be placing on your work is a question for you

Last edited:
True story, rappers will want you to do a whole album because they admire your skill. As soon as you mention a price they say they can get beats elsewhere for free and that's the last you hear from them..

No point degrading or devaluing your self if someone else doesn't appreciate the time and effort spent you have to spend as well as come up with original ideas just to get a pat on the back for it.

Artists will pay for features, video shoots, promo and what not but expect the beat to be free, without the instrumental they can't do much, so many producers bend over backwards for rappers and get exploited (a lot of the time)

Last edited:
I don't mean any disrespect man, as an artist I understand how it feels when your hard work is under appreciated...BUT as a starting lyricist that makes NO money per song, using music PURELY for promotional purposes AND conversing with EVERY producer I collaborate with about what THEY want to hear on their beat, as well as asking before uploading their music; free beats are a handhold into a business used to hearing the same shit by the same people. I've gotten free beats because I had no money and no options, and Ive thanked every producer for the work they did AND made sure they liked how it sounded afterward. Now I'm not saying every beat should be free for anyone that can make two words rhyme cuz that's rediculous, only that not every rapper can afford the sound they're looking for, and most have nothing but a name and a social media page to show for their efforts. Just speaking as an unknown.

And PLEASE stop with that "these rappers" bullshit. We don't THINK the same, we don't SOUND the same, we don't ACT the same, we don't LOOK the same, man **** it most of us don't even like each other lol. Rap is a dead art, look for lyricism.

Once again...no disrespect.
soundcloud.com/deffthekidd

big up for this video, ima have this video loaded into my copy and paste function for daily use !! we some sort of ****ing producers union man, were we all say NO to free beats... but too many producers are under the illusion that free beats will "get them out there". i mean who the **** walks into tesco, refuses to pay for a damn TV, insted recieves it for free, and says they will promote it for them?! no one ever. if a rapper aint willing to pay for beats, **** them, they aint worth the time composing messages for.

I believe that the person you are ranting about is a result of your actions . I believe what the person is complaining about is that you are posting your beats in the free beats area, that is your fault. YOU are wrong sir.

LOOOL!
Tell 'em!
People come on my YouTube channel all the time commenting crap like, 'can I have these samples for free'? 'Why do we have to pay for these templates'? Or, 'Oh my god, $10 is way too much for this!'

All I have to say is, if you are serious about what you do $10 won't stop you getting what you need. If you can't afford to invest $5-10 in to your craft then that should tell you everything you need to know about where your career is going in the music, or any business.

Back