Stop Giving Away FREE Beats...

Of course you can and SHOULD give out free beats lol. Seriously? Your best ones too. Especially in exchange for email addresses.
Then learn everything u possibly can about email marketing & copywriting.
Cha-ching!

this is one way to do it yes
or you can work the social network angle
make genuine connections with music artists

if you want to go the way of free beats only have 2-5 available
and those same for a year at least.."best" is subjective

seriously i can relate to what you're saying, though a vid of 13 minutes is a bit long , you could have used 5 minutes and spent the rest on producing , lol . just kidding on that one fam.
i'm producing myself and yes i do give away free beats from time to time , only just to get some traffic on my site and get people coming back.
see we're doing this to make money and because we do what we're good at.
time invested is not just those 4 hours on a beat, i'm grinding 25 hours a day , either it's reading up on new techniques or simply watching a movie listening to music in the background to
get similar chords out, investing in gear or whatever. i get lots of people coming up to me on twitter saying ''send me some bro'' . nah .. i don't know you !! you a rapper ? well who is not ?
my biggest client is just starting out in this game and really he needs to perfect his craft as a rapper, but he is serious about his game so he invests his money in what i do so he can perfect his skills.
see what if i stepped up too let's say french montana on twitter asking him to come to my birthday to rap for free, he'd be like f*ck you pay me ! he made his way same way producers do.
hard work. if you aren't serious about your work, in whatever you do , don't throw pebbles in the ocean expecting a tsunami . nah .. if you want to make big waves invest in it . nothing wrong with giving something away from time to time but thinking we do that for fun is just wrong , it's a strategy for future sales .

I've given away a total of 3 free beats...ever. One of them was for a lead singer in the band I was in and don't even consider it "given away" because I absolutely wanted to make a song specifically for her because I was such a huge fan. She's toured with it in Europe and that is worth more than money to me.

If you want my beats, then you will pay me. If I want to do community service I will go to Manna House down the street in Baltimore and serve you soup.

Some of you are making this way too complicated - if you want to sell beats to rappers why not find the local scene in your city where the rappers go????

It's like saying I want to meet a woman tonight, so I'll stay home and use my mailing list to email a bunch of them. Why not go to the bars where all of the women are????

Last edited:
Some of you are making this way too complicated - if you want to sell beats to rappers why not find the local scene in your city where the rappers go????

It's like saying I want to meet a woman tonight, so I'll stay home and use my mailing list to email a bunch of them. Why not go to the bars where all of the women are????

Quoted for emphasis and total realness.
I get it, these days, its money>music, so I get why these goofball beatmakers prefer the path of least resistance---its not about the beats, its not about any significant long-term musical aspirations. Its, "how do I stack these chips off these microwave, minute-rice beats without having to put in any real effort?" Five $20 internet beat sales means more than getting up and establishing a relationship with an artist that could eventually net even more money. I can't knock the hustle-the game needs lazy niggas with low standards to offset the the people with substantial real-world grind and a long-term mentality.

man I dont know anyone who is giving away free beats, but whoever it is sucks lol. We should go back to charging like in the 100s, but not like 300s cause the economy is bad and china just beat the u.s. out LOL

I completely agree. Music is a business! I give away a free beat every now and then but no way am I spending hours everyday for nothing. Yes I get satisfaction from making beats but if I can make money from it then I'm going to do it! Not going to get anywhere in the business for giving everything away for free.

see. i recently gave away 21 free beats for thanks giving because:

A: they're old.
B: they're not my best.
C: im about passion and people rather than money and fame
D: I watermarked them to spread my name
E: producing is my hobby, rapping is my interest.

... now wears the flaw in that?

see. i recently gave away 21 free beats for thanks giving because:

A: they're old.
B: they're not my best.
C: im about passion and people rather than money and fame
D: I watermarked them to spread my name
E: producing is my hobby, rapping is my interest.

... now wears the flaw in that?

No flaws at all, but some other ideas:

1. If you make music you consider good, then "old" really doesn't matter since it is timeless.
2. Songs I've made that I didn't consider my best turned out incredible when a creative artist sang or rapped over top of it. Then, I was like, "Daym I see your vision!"
3. I'm about passion and people as well, but Imageline and Spectrasonics aren't giving me their software for free, so why should I give my beats away for free? Are those companies flawed?

My thing is this, I don't begrudge ANYONE making a buck off this music shit, convincing someone to part with their $$ in this day and age is an accomplishment. But, what is the long-term strategy? A placement? A career? Or are you satisfied with a few $70 beat sales a month for pocket money? That's not a career- that's a hustle. The game is oversaturated with "hustle" mentality beatmakers and few niggas with any ambition for something greater. The quality (well, lack thereof) and an insistence on doing what everyone else is doing shows this.

"Hustle" minded niggas are only concerned with doing the minimum to get minimum results-if you rely on an internet connection to sell music-you are a "hustle" nigga. If you selling beats, but your name don't ring bells in your own zip code-you a "hustle" nigga. If the idea of doing anything music-related outside of your house is a turn-off-you a "hustle" nigga. If a beat sale means more to you than establishing a potentially lucrative relationship-you a "hustle" nigga. If your 5 year plan for music is to "live off beats"-you a "hustle" nigga. Its not even a "money vs. art" thing, really. Do you reach for the stars or settle for the clouds? Climb the tree, or settle for the low-hanging fruit?
If you're happy with small rewards for small effort-be my guest. Its crowded at the bottom.

I can't take anyone seriously who would whine about losing money over a beat they would've sold for less than $100 to a soundclick/datpiff rapper. It ain't like niggas getting residuals and BMI checks off datpiff plays.

Last edited:
My thing is this, I don't begrudge ANYONE making a buck off this music shit, convincing someone to part with their $$ in this day and age is an accomplishment. But, what is the long-term strategy? A placement? A career? Or are you satisfied with a few $70 beat sales a month for pocket money? That's not a career- that's a hustle. The game is oversaturated with "hustle" mentality beatmakers and few niggas with any ambition for something greater. The quality (well, lack thereof) and an insistence on doing what everyone else is doing shows this.

"Hustle" minded niggas are only concerned with doing the minimum to get minimum results-if you rely on an internet connection to sell music-you are a "hustle" nigga. If you selling beats, but your name don't ring bells in your own zip code-you a "hustle" nigga. If the idea of doing anything music-related outside of your house is a turn-off-you a "hustle" nigga. If a beat sale means more to you than establishing a potentially lucrative relationship-you a "hustle" nigga. If your 5 year plan for music is to "live off beats"-you a "hustle" nigga. Its not even a "money vs. art" thing, really. Do you reach for the stars or settle for the clouds? Climb the tree, or settle for the low-hanging fruit?
If you're happy with small rewards for small effort-be my guest. Its crowded at the bottom.

I can't take anyone seriously who would whine about losing money over a beat they would've sold for less than $100 to a soundclick/datpiff rapper. It ain't like niggas getting residuals and BMI checks off datpiff plays.

Daym Pumpthrust - you had a lot of suspect posts, but you spittin right here!

Only thing I disagree with - you have to start from somewhere.
Yes, aim for the clouds, but you don't reach them in one jump - you have to build the ladder.

If your dream is to eventually do music full time and you currently are selling $70 beats on the side, working a full time career and building a team, then I think you're on a solid path. You can't name one person successful at anything that made it as an overnight success - they spent years grinding, learning the ropes, developing connections.

Luck = Preparation + Opportunity

Daym Pumpthrust - you had a lot of suspect posts, but you spittin right here!

Only thing I disagree with - you have to start from somewhere.
Yes, aim for the clouds, but you don't reach them in one jump - you have to build the ladder.

If your dream is to eventually do music full time and you currently are selling $70 beats on the side, working a full time career and building a team, then I think you're on a solid path. You can't name one person successful at anything that made it as an overnight success - they spent years grinding, learning the ropes, developing connections.

Luck = Preparation + Opportunity
My whole point was about the long-term strategy. I never said that one should not start small. yes, everyone has to crawl before they can walk. But niggas still crawling though with no ambition to run, then getting mad other niggas lapping them.

Also, me and suspect posts? LMAO, never.

Back