Stems vs DAWs

BroomChild

I'm curious as to which is more preferable to work with for both remixing and for sourcing sounds for original works?

I'm a new producer and would like to know whether stems are easier and more accessible to use/ find than DAW project files and where I would begin to search for either of them.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hmm... I'm confused. You use the stems inside the daw? You don't have much use for one without the other

Sorry for the confusion i meant the DAW project files. say you could get them and not just the audio stem what would be the benefits.

Ah! Well, if the project files comes with the instruments and midi patterns and not just audio stems, obviously you'd have a lot more options in terms of..well everything really.

Can't think of a single thing a hard printed audio file would have over the full project file.

I mean think about it.. You have everything there and can alter anything you'd like however you please. But with just stems you can really only chop, stretch and add effects to it.

Last edited:
Yes this is what i thought however differences in software and plugins might make these impossible to find. do you know anywhere that may have a database for projectiles or stems?

No doubt it's going to be a lot trickier to find the whole project files, and when you do I guess it's mostly templates for you to use, and suppose most of them only use the stock plugins so you don't get all the missing plugins along with it.

I wouldn't know where to get a hold of any of it to be honest. When I remix, I try to get a remix pack from the artist themselves, and that usually include everything I need.

stems any day - different folks use different daws and if you are sharing material to work on then it would have to be full length audio files (pcm wav/aiff) or full length midi files

the only issue I see with MIDI files is that you have to choose the sound source for the files/tracks to play back and these may not be the same as the creator used

Audio files aren't owned by the creator they are owned by the label, so the label chooses to release stems every now and then as a remix contest to promote the song.

But the ACTUAL work done in the project is owned by whoever did the work. Not the actual audio, but the meta data/workflow that went into making the audio. If a mix engineer mixes a song, they own everything they did and all their work on that stem. Not the audio, just the work that went into it(processing chains, etc..). So this is why you aren't going to see a lot of project files for bigger songs out there. The mixing engineer or whoever worked on it doesn't care enough or have any motivation to release the project files. The reason you see the audio stems is because the label has a reason to release them. The label couldn't release the project files if they wanted to though.

This goes out the window obviously if everything was done by one person and no label was involved. But if you're looking for stems and project files I'm assuming its for a commercial song that was released through a label. Stems=Labels.. Project data/work that goes into the stems=whoever did it. Only way to get project files would be to contact the composer/mixer directly. And if the songs owned by a label its a long shot you'll ever get the project files because of something or other the creator of the actual work had to sign. Plus i doubt anyone getting paid to engineer is going to release their workflow to the public, for anyone to piece together and replicate. That would be like giving out your secret recipe.

Last edited:
you can find project files for FL Studio at FL Studio 11 in the forum area for registered users
or at Warbeats > Home

and for stems try remix contests

you can even ask users here for project files and/or stems to use for practice mixing...

Audio files aren't owned by the creator they are owned by the label, so the label chooses to release stems every now and then as a remix contest to promote the song.

this is a broad assumption - not all labels own the stems/audio in a project, not all creators are signed to a label: it depends on contracts and several other factors. In fact I think that you will find that a label is lucky if they own the final master two track, the version of the audio that they are exploiting by releasing to the public

this is a broad assumption - not all labels own the stems/audio in a project, not all creators are signed to a label: it depends on contracts and several other factors. In fact I think that you will find that a label is lucky if they own the final master two track, the version of the audio that they are exploiting by releasing to the public

I think i had somewhere in the end there that it depended on contract and if the song was even released on a label. I was talking major commercial releases on one of the top 3 majors. USUALLY the stems people will be looking to remix. But not always the case, i think i mentioned that but i dont know i dont really feel like re reading my post. Meant to if i didn't.

Back