Starting music production with FL Studio?

dizkojockey

I've recently started using FL Studio to learn about music production and have viewed many tutorials online and also purchased FL Studio Cookbook. My question is what is the best way to learn how to produce music, namely trance? I really like the harder kind of trance (one of my favourite tracks - Eden Project - Mummy). I've seen many tutorial online and the guys on there seem to know exactly which plugins to use with different instruments and all about the different parameters that can be adjusted to enhance your creation. Is it simply a case of just trying everything and seeing what it does? What is the best place to begin and how do these pro guys get to their level - what is the development route from amateur to professional?

Download as many tutorials you can lol.
Not gonna tell you to learn sheet music or scales, that's your decision.[But I seriously suggest it, let's you lay out ideas before you even touch a daw]
Learn some synthesis, then just chop samples of vocals & stuff.
Also, play on the thing a lot and just do random stuff to understand how it works[How anything you learn/enjoy works]
Figure out what devices you want to use early on?
He2L, don't even stop looking at tutorials even after learning from them. Ain't nothing like redundance to sink it in.
Learn how to do basic stuff on any instrument you choose[It saves...so much time in the long run]

Still a novice myself, but like I said that's what you should try out.

The best way to learn how to use FL Studio or any other Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) is with trial end error, coupled with research for methods you just simply CAN'T uncover by messing with the program yourself. You should only use the web to find out the solution to a problem when you have explored the DAW fully and tried everything you reasonably can to discover a production technique by yourself.

The best way to learn is to just do what comes naturally and learn by doing, once you feel like you've got a decent understanding and you're already making decent beats, then I believe it's time to really look into the intricacies of music production and the complexity of your DAW.

It might seem counter intuitive but it was the best thing for me. I could look at tutorials all day and I still wouldn't understand. I think you need to give yourself a skeleton of knowledge and know-how in the field before you can begin to study the complexities.

Read. The. Manual.

Seriously, I've been off for the weekend, and now see at least two threads asking how to use FL Studio properly. Guys, it isn't much of use to purchase (and I hope you have purchased) a DAW and don't read it's manual. It answers 90% of your questions (the last 10% is genre related, IMO).

Back