Starter questions

• Thread starter Deleted member 575652
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 575652

Hi,
I'm trying to get into the production of EDM however, I have no experience with this field and despite my best efforts at research I'm completely lost on what I need (in terms of hardware and software) and where to begin. So some pointers on this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to FP and hope you find it helpful, use the Search function and if you found this place via Google surely you know what to research. If you know who you like to listen to in that genre, start there. You need an interface, headphones, a DAW (e.g. FL Studio, etc.), either a laptop or desktop Mac or PC, and monitors.

Last edited:
You can hold off on the interface until later. Where you are it's recommended to just get the trial versions of various DAWs (digital audio workstations) like FL Studio, Ableton, etc and find the one you like the most. Get the license for it when the trial ends and start practicing everyday.
The term "monitor" can also mean headphones, ...and the "speaker monitors" can wait until later too (they're a bit expensive). Headphone monitoring will do fine if you're just starting. You'll need practice and studying more than anything right now. If you get serious and want to really dive into production, a speaker monitoring system is necessary and very helpful, ya.

Just practice practice practice, and you'll be on your way. The gear is nice, but it wont magically make you a producer. Time a practice will make you a producer.
We're here to help though, definitely. If ya have any questions, we'll help ya out.

Good luck. :D

Last edited:
Search function, Manuals for your tools and experience gained from experiments. There will be no shortcuts & what you put into you get out of it.
Good computer and headphones are the primary/first tools to consider.

Thank you for the advice, any bit of guidance is very useful when just starting out however, I just have one question which is in my research I saw a lot about producing my own sounds using MIDI/virtual keyboard(along with all these compression, equalizer, etc, type of plugins) should I worry about these things now or just focus on getting used to a program?

The plugins are apart of the program, so just learn them. There is nothing to them, just learn them inside & out and you'll automatically know what other plugins of the same type do by default.

ya, those plugins are part of the mixing / mastering of the song. Basic ones are included with the DAWs. You use them to blend all of your instruments together into something pleasant to the ear. How you want to use them is up to you as the producer. Do you want to hammer a lot of reverb or keep it dry? It's all part of your unique "painting" style.

When the plugins are active, they're called "wet" tracks (in your mixer).
When there are no plugins or the plugins are disabled, they're called "dry" tracks in your mixer.

Last edited:
Back