Spreading the music on the entire world.

Steve Sancteria

So here is another very interesting and important topic.

Since becoming sucessfull with your music is mostly depending on the promotions you do, I´ll wanted to ask you guys how you spread your music on the internet in order to get some more plays/comments on your soundcloud and YouTube channels, what other options do we beginners have in order to get more attention to our music?

I know that after my next release, I gonna create a YouTube channel and SignIn into a Trance forum and the "A State Of Trance" forum, since there is a really cool demo section where you get feedback for your tracks, and in the future I really don´t wanna piss off people from my facebook friend list, where I know they don´t listen to Trance at all :D

So I am really exited about your suggestions, since some in the forum do already have a great fan base :D

Hey Steve,

Couple of tips:
1) Don't wait with engaging fans. Do it now. This is the #1 rule of marketing. Just start. Post in-progress songs, making ofs, etc.
2) Create an artist fanpage on facebook. Post every day. Learn how to work Photoshop to post pictures if you otherwise just have text.
3) Email marketing is still going strong. There's thousands of resources on how to use it to sell your stuff and get heard, just google it. Send out an email every day if you can, but AT LEAST every week (there's also Autoresponders that can help you do that)
4) Google Adwords and Facebook Ads in particular do help if you know how to use them.
5) Search for related forums ("rock music forum", "discover new music forum") and post your stuff there. Don't spam, become a contributing member and be respectful.
6) Think of original ways of getting your music heard: soundtrack to a film, game, show, presentation, party.
7) Who would like your music? Is your music for older businessmen? Write some companies and ask if you can play at their next party.
8) Measure everything and see what works best (google Pareto's Principle or 80/20 law).

Hope this helps, good luck! :)

Wow, thanks a lot :D I think that´s enough to keep me bussy for the next thew years xD
I really like that you didn´t mention "send demos to labels" because I am not a fan of pissing labels off with my tracks, if a label likes my music, they´ll let me know anyways.

Doing making ofs is something I really wanna look up for, because all the making ofs you can find on youtube are really inspiring and helpfull as well, and if it´s just "how I did that unique thing in my latest track"
Your list does really motivate me, I see you already have a ton of experience :D

Hey Steve,

Approaching a label only makes sense if
a) you already have a large following
b) if you are already making big money
c) if you're INSANELY (and I mean INSANELY) talented or attractive ;)

I prefer doing things the DIY way. You have to do more but you don't have to split your share. There ain't much a label can do for you which you couldn't do yourself anymore.

Good luck!

thanks a lot for your kind words, seems you have a chance for step c) :D

I think if I follow my heart and my dream to produce music that affects people and awake emotions in them, I´ll find the right path to spread and share my music and so my love with as many people on this planet as possible, it sounds like a phrase from a stupid teenager romance movie, I know, but I don´t know how to describe it better :D

I´ve also checked out your blog, I´ll go through it when I am done with my current track, the topic "getting the right emotions with certain chord progressions" is really interesting :D if someone asks me for some theoretical refferences, I´ll send them to your blog if that´s ok for ya :D

Hello again,

Always awesome to find people who are so enthusiastic about music :) That's why I love these forums.

Now I don't mean to burst your bubble, but be aware that the business is full of people like you. In my experience only those versed in marketing really stand a chance. But marketing can be a really fun thing to do. I mean, me talking to people like you, that is also marketing in a way and it's really fun! :) Doesn't always have to be foot-in-the-door. That's also why it's awesome that you want to share my blog, because you're kind of proving my point here ;)

Thanks again for the kind words and hope you enjoy the blog (btw, you can subscribe to my exclusive newsletter through the banner on the right). :)

sure man, I´ll give it a try.

Well, I am kind of versed in marketing if it comes to run a certain business, I know I am very young but I get training every friday, I am improved in rethorics and know how to behave in business situation (that rethoric thing brought me a 2nd whiteboard for free, the power of words :D)

But in the finance business you have to sell yourself and in music business you have to sell yourself + your music, so I think I just start with the social media stuff until my music reached a certain level of quality.
Making as many friends as possible as well as good connections and your good to go, I guess :D

Back