Song might be on radio and im trying not to get screwed. help

reef106

Ok here is whats taking place
1. Artist leased a beat for 25 dollars on my beat store in like july this year
2. September he drops an album with my beat on it and doesn't credit me ( violating my contract because it states i have to get credit)but every other producer (except like 2 other songs) is credited on the album -_-. This other artists manager texts me and says " this song sounds like your beat"... and it was...come to find out everyone i know listens to the song and its actually very popular.

3. the song is going viral at half a million streams and quarter of a million downloads on spinrilla mixtape.

Here are my questions

1. Legally what can i do about him not crediting me? the song has been going crazy for like 3 months without my knowledge (because he didn't credit me :(.... ) i emailed him and he pretty much just said .. "sorry ?"
2. Im pretty sure on apple music the song has a lot of downloads so how do i go about collecting my mechanical royalties ? ( im not signed up with bmi,ascap,harry fox) nothing...all i had was my contract that gets sent once you purchase a beat. Was that enough to protect me from being screwed ?
3. Is it to late to collect any royalties ? i had the distribution limit at 2000. How to find out the actual sales of my track on itunes and spotify.
4. is my producer name not being on it going to be an issue in collecting my money? the beat is a lease from youtube it shows that its my beat and the date it was posted. Will i have to prove its mine and if so whats the best method to prove so ?

P.s- i think the song may have gotten radio play because its very popular.how to check for that ? im happy everyone is loving the track but im sad i have to play catch up and try to collect and do everything such short notice.

p.s.s - people around the city are telling me they heard the song performed at clubs and other places and i looked on his instagram and i can see him performing it at strip clubs and pretty much touring performing the song with my beat.... is it to late to sign up for ascap/bmi and get royalties for the performance.

all in all i understand the industry is full of bullshit things happening so i prepared for all the bullshit before i started taking producing seriously... Walk me through this.

Last edited:
Getting everything squared away. Ill put all the info on this thread for everyone to look back on in the future because i swear no where on the internet has help for this specific case.

Mod wants a cut, maybe? haha tell him to pay you with what you think "crediting you" is worth. Is there anything in the contract that mentions royalty percentages?

If you sell your beats for fixed flat rate, and somebody buys it...is it there's to "own", or do you lease with a royalty percentage? For example, for every dollar somebody makes with your beat, you make 30% (30 cents) or something. I'm not sure what your contract looks like. Some producers send me contracts for collaborating n sh*t, ...but I usually don't respond.

But, anyway props!! Strippers are grinding to your work!

Contract = Law. If its in your contract that you sent out that he needed to pay you for royalties on the song, give you credit etc. then you have legal grounds to sue. The grounds that you have to sue are based strictly upon what you required of him via contract once he made his purchase.

If you spoke nothing of him needing to pay royalties if he sold a certain amount, etc., then he does not legally owe you because he technically already paid you when he leased the track.

It all depends on the particulars of the contract you sent him as far as what you can do. Do you maybe a file or link to it that we can check out?

Back