Snare and hihat groove.

kawi77

Hi all. I ma influenced by some artist and other genres especially latin and african drumms and other cultures instruments present in their music.
What are most common techniques to make groove with shakers, hihats and snares?
I am coming across of some tunes where there is a groove with hihats and snares where you have one snare with delay( my assumptions) or on short and one long appearing after first one. I wonder if this is done by using two different shares or hats or simply by modifying second one. I tried to extend note in its options by making hold, decay and sustain time. However with quick sound there is not much different. I want acheive that human effect where you use any shaking instrument when first shake is short and second one has longer tail.
Also snare where first note appears with ( my assumption again) lower velocity and another one with higher.Are those groove techniques done by making some side chain with kick ducking single snare or hihat ?
Good example of this would be tune ROGER SHAH-Madras ( Global Experience).Do you think that artist used ready loops and tweaked a little?I wanted to add some info.When you do listen to track, you will notice clap appearing with effect i mentioned, where groove sounds like"and THEN,and THEN,and THEN"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if I understand all that you are asking/stating. But I do know that the basic groove is bass drum on 1,2,3,4; the hi-hats play 16th notes (1e+a 2e+a 3e+a 4e+a) with accents on the "+a2.+, +a4.+" ("and-ah-two-and, and-ah-four-and"), which may be what you're hearing as "and then and then and then" (I don't know if there are any vocals; didn't listen that far). The snare drum comes on the "ah" of beats 1 and 3 (putting it slightly ahead of 2 and 4). I don't hear any kind of delay or two snare drums, but again, maybe that comes later in the tune (if you have a specific section you want help with breaking down, it's always good to include a time marker).

GJ

HELLO.
Let's take forst 30sec of track, there is a snare coming every second beat or maybe its between 2nd and 3rd.You can clearly hear that it does not sound like one hit.It sounds more like "tata,tata,tata,tata."My question is more about technique used here.So accent is at tail of snara or if you prefer its disturbed somehow so it sounds as two hits where first is with lower velocity and second higher or maybe they have different pitch.However it sounds to me like two hits where second one lasts longer so it decays longer or it is just my illusion.
Let me explain something in other way.Imagine having any shaking instrument like maracas.You shake 2x but only 2x.So medium which is inside of them when 2nd shake appears it sounds longer as you do not repeat procedure again.How to get that effect.I am sorry for my English, its not my primary language.

Last edited:
Nope, still don't hear any delay. Try programming the rhythm with accents that I gave you...

GJ

I do not understand this pattern(1e+a 2e+a 3e+a 4e+a).I have 16th quarters and i need to place accent on every 4th quarter of each note?

Last edited:
I do not understand this pattern(1e+a 2e+a 3e+a 4e+a).I have 16th quarters and i need to place accent on every 4th quarter of each note?

That's OK, you're not the only one who doesn't understand. :-)

I've been reading this whole conversation a couple of times trying to understand but with little success.

I'm not sure if I understand all that you are asking/stating. But I do know that the basic groove is bass drum on 1,2,3,4; the hi-hats play 16th notes (1e+a 2e+a 3e+a 4e+a) with accents on the "+a2.+, +a4.+" ("and-ah-two-and, and-ah-four-and"), which may be what you're hearing as "and then and then and then" (I don't know if there are any vocals; didn't listen that far). The snare drum comes on the "ah" of beats 1 and 3 (putting it slightly ahead of 2 and 4). I don't hear any kind of delay or two snare drums, but again, maybe that comes later in the tune (if you have a specific section you want help with breaking down, it's always good to include a time marker).

GJ

so what gj is saying here is as follows

Beat1e&u2e&u3e&u4e&u
Accent>>>>>>
Hi-Hatxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

think of the accent as meaning add 5 to the velocity level for that note

Thanks for the grid (and the MIDI tip!) Coach...

Kawi77-- In traditional rhythmic notation, we have quarter notes (crotchet), 8th notes (quaver), and 16th notes (semi-quaver), but no "16th quarters" that I'm aware of. We count the quarter notes as major downbeats-- 1,2,3,4. One way (a fairly popular mnemonic system, at least here in the US) to count subdivisions of the quarter note would be to use the word "and" (often signified by a "+" sign) for the 8th note upbeats. The 16th note subdivisions are sounded "ee" and "ah/uh," usually signified "e" and "a." Thus, 16 16th notes in a row in 4/4 time would be counted (or subdivided) as "1e+a 2e+a 3e+a 4e+a."

It's much easier to see and understand when it's broken down in a grid as BC did above (I'm just not that computer savvy!).

Does it make any more sense now?

GJ

Back