SM57 vs SM58 (again)

fayah_bun

Hi
I know you guys have been through this million times but i need a proper advice.
I read every possible thread about those 2 mics and cannot choose. Some people say 57 is better others say 58.
Well, i need mic only for the vocals. I have deep voice,energetic delivery and i will record rap music .
I have UR 22 + cubase AI. Need a mic. I dont have cabin and definitely will use room, perhaps closet (yes closet) with foam insulation for recording.
Till now i recorded in cheap studios but effect wasn't that good. My vocals were deeper than music. In studio sounds alright then at home in headphones it was bit murky.
Need advice about mic for that set up. I even considered Rode NT1 and AT2020 (shrugs)
Any help will be much appreciated :hmmm:

There's not much difference between the two - down to the minute detail that the screw-on grille on the 58 arguably makes up for most of the differences in the spec.

If you're definitely after a dynamic (and I understand why you would) then I'd skip both SM's and go for the Beta-58A... It's super-cardioid (SM is cardioid) so will accentuate the higher frequencies in your voice more than the SM...

IMHO, if all you can afford is a Shure 57 or 58 (there are much better vocal mikes, even among dynamics)-- Go with the _58_ rather than the 57.

Krushing is right; they are essentially the same microphone. But the diffuser grille on the 57 and the screw-on ball grille (and a few other minor differences) actually mean a pretty significant difference when it comes to reproducing the average vocal performance. The 57 works great on drums, horns, and guitar amp speakers, but it's just way too honky and mid-range "goosed" for a decent vocal mike. If possible, try them side by side, and I think you'll hear the difference-- for spoken word, rap, and especially singing, the 58 has it all over the 57! IMHO and experience...

GJ

Last edited:
thank you all for response. Unfortunately i cannot find place where i can compare those mics live thus i totally rely on your opinions

IMHO, if all you can afford is a Shure 57 or 58 (there are much better vocal mikes, even among dynamics)-- Go with the _58_ rather than the 57.

Krushing is right; they are essentially the same microphone. But the diffuser grille on the 57 and the screw-on ball grille (and a few other minor differences) actually mean a pretty significant difference when it comes to reproducing the average vocal performance. The 57 works great on drums, horns, and guitar amp speakers, but it's just way to honky and mid-range "goosed" for a decent vocal mike. If possible, try them side by side, and I think you'll hear the difference-- for spoken word, rap, and especially singing, the 58 has it all over the 57!
IMHO and experience...

GJ
apart from those two mics (which everyone recommends) are there any other decent dynamic mics for less than 150$.
I started thread about 57/58 because sadly its all i know about cheap-decent dynamic mics

Last edited:
As an old-time Shure user, I'd suggest anything from the Audix OM series (probably an OM1 or an OM2; retail about $100; OM7 is about $160, just to give you an idea of price range)...

GJ

As far as rap vocals, dynamic mics are great! Especially if you get really loud and hype in some of your verses. You would honestly need to look at the frequency response charts of both and then have an idea of what your vocals are like. The SM57 has a big boost at around 6k so depending on your mic placement, may sound too harsh at strong plosives. Ithe has starts rolling off the low frequencies at 200hz. This may be too much if you are wanting to keep some of the low body in your voice. However the 58 has a big boost starting at 3k. This may make your recordings sound very nasily and congested but if your voice is deeper and darker, it may accent it and bring that part out. The 58 has a roll off at 100hz giving you more flexibility with the low end of your vocals. Then you could always roll off more if you need to with your own filter. Both mics are great for rap vocals so I would say just choose one based off of the response chart and try it out. Then later on, but the other one and have both. You will find that even with 1 vocalist, there will be occasions to use different mics depending on the type of performance you are wanting to achieve.

As an old-time Shure user, I'd suggest anything from the Audix OM series (probably an OM1 or an OM2; retail about $100; OM7 is about $160, just to give you an idea of price range)...

GJ
Last question to close the thread
beta 58 or OM5 ? because I narrowed to those two( similar price range)

Both good. Try before you buy, if you can. Different mikes sound different on different voices. All that to say, based on what I've heard, and using my friend's Audix OM1 (I have about 75 microphones, but still no OM series hand-held), I'd strongly suggest the Audix mike. Based on sound alone. Nobody beats Shure in the durability department though, so if you are rough and tough with your gear and/or are a butterfingers, and/or other people will be using your mike, then the Shure might be the better bet...

GJ

Back