Simple question

BeatBassBanger

When watching beat making videos I noticed that (FL Studio) Some people say turn off the limiter I think it is? Why is that, what is the role or purpose of the limiter? And for what purpose is it turned off?

the limiter will bring up the intrinsic level of the track to a point where it is almost but not quite 0dBFS. This can make ordinary music sound spectacular and great music just as good. By messing with the intrinsic dynamic range of the piece you get a false sense of whether the track is working or not.

The purpose in turning off the limiter is manifold

1) hear your music with the dynamic range it is supposed to have
2) stop the music from pumping up and down as louder parts drop in and out of the mix: most common question we get here is "why does my tracks' volume go down when the 'insert-instrument-name-here' comes into the mix?"
3) because it is boosting even softer parts of the mix you do not know whether your mix is actually working or not
4) a limiter of the type found in fl's master channel is used to provide faux-mastering, something that you should not be messing with during the creative or mixing phases of your project. Even when done mixing, you should probably still not activate this limiter as it will tell you damn lies about your mix...

others will chip in on this but these are the main reasons to turn it off

To add to what bandcoach said, a limiter is a type of compressor - usually defined by a compression ratio of 10:1 to infinite. Which basically means that instead of reducing levels above the threshold, it just limits anything from going above the threshold, more or less.

I used to always work with a limiter on but now I take it off, and I am glad I did. Helps me work with the dynamics of the song more, as opposed to everything getting squashed

Back