Should I get a synthesiser or a midi keyboard?

Tomix

I was looking at a Microkorg or Mininova, should I get one of these or focus on something like a Novation Launchkey which has the benefit of launchpads which I think i'd use a lot.

I am just beginning in music and want to create deep house/chillwave music with soul music incorporated.

Thanks for the reply. Is there any reason why?

Also, can I load sounds onto a synthesiser and play them in different keys like I can with a midi keyboard. I.e if I find a cool sound in a sample pack can I put it onto the synthesiser?

You're able to do the same things sound-wise with the midi keyboard as you would with the synthesizer in addition to it being $200 bucks cheaper. If I remember correctly, you can not load sounds to a synthesizer.

Midi keyboard=controller
hardware synth=synthesis engine built in piano and can be used as a midi keyboard
digital synth=synthesizer programs most commonly reffered to as vsts.

hardware synth less flexible unless used in roundabout ways while digital is well, less limited.
Unles talking about modular.

midi keys will be cheaper and youll be able to use all the soft synths on it you want. An actual hard synthesizer is something you'd buy after your familiar with using soft synths and wanna move onto trying hardware.. Or you could get it right away it doesn't really matter...but that would be a good way to go about things as a beginner. Dont just get excited and buy a big expensive synth right away before you even know if you like using the keys. All you really need at this point is a synth controller used for VSTs assuming you're gonna be one of the 99% who takes the VST route to begin.

Is the VST route whereby I'll use a normal midi keyboard but load synthesisers I buy online to digitally change the noises the keys make?

If so that might be the best option for me, however I do find it much easier when I can fiddle with hardware instead of messing about with a mouse!

Is the VST route whereby I'll use a normal midi keyboard but load synthesisers I buy online to digitally change the noises the keys make?

If so that might be the best option for me, however I do find it much easier when I can fiddle with hardware instead of messing about with a mouse!

yes...and a midi keyboard IS hardware that you can fiddle around with. You won't have to use your mouse.

Midi keyboard=controller
hardware synth=synthesis engine built in piano and can be used as a midi keyboard
digital synth=synthesizer programs most commonly reffered to as vsts.

There are also lots of digital hardware synths - I guess "virtual" would be better a descriptor here than "digital".

But yeah...I think hardware synths are an inspiration - that is, the good ones. I haven't really played with the Mininova other than briefly glossed over it in a music shop, and I don't really like the MicroKorg's interface. It's basically a rather basic mod matrix type thing, but somehow manages to be unintuitive. But maybe it's better to start off with soft synths and then grab something when you have a better idea of what you actually want from it.

Last edited:
I do find it much easier when I can fiddle with hardware instead of messing about with a mouse!

There are many MIDI controllers that have knobs you can map to functions in a DAW. I use quite a few synthesisers (XP10, JV30, Fantom XR), as well as a MIDI stage piano (RD300SX), but I also have at my workstation a controller with 25 weighted keys, 8 drum pads and several assignable knobs. I sometimes work with reggae/dub acts who like to have knobs and buttons under their fingers for switching and controlling delays, etc, and this makes it a breeze.

The point here is that it's important to stay away from false dichotomies, especially if you're on a tight budget. In terms of being as future proof as possible, a MIDI workstation is always going to give you the most flexibility.

It should also be noted that, with the advent of such stuff as Addictive Drums/Keys and other sample oriented stuff, external synths are probably going to be obsolete outside live work within a decade.

Last edited:
I was looking at a Microkorg or Mininova, should I get one of these or focus on something like a Novation Launchkey which has the benefit of launchpads which I think i'd use a lot.

I am just beginning in music and want to create deep house/chillwave music with soul music incorporated.

get vst's bro... nexus .. sylenth1 etc... for edm it's about chords.. lotta stuff is done in the piano roll

It depends on whether you like hardware or software, and whether or not you want everything to revolve around your computer.

GJ

What software do you have? Watch interviews of hit producers on YouTube. They all say having quality drum kits and sound banks/VSTs like Nexus 2 or NI Massive is a lot more important than buying a MIDI keyboard.

I'd personally go for a cheap velocity sensitive MIDI keyboard under $100 or a used one around $50, and invest your money into quality sample kits, VSTs, preset banks, etc.

Get a midi keyboard, you can customize setting depending on what you use it for after. You can do a bunch of stuff including arpeggios

Back