"Shoestring" Budget Starter kit

AnubisZero

I'm sure this gets asked here almost everyday, but I have some very specific concerns/questions that I need help with.

So I've been wanting to get started in making music for a long time, but have never really had the time/money to do so. Well, now I have all the time in the world...but still lack the funds. So this is where things get a little tricky.

I'm wanting to make something along the lines of Industrial/Goth/Metal(I know, difficult with DAWs)/Electronica, but I don't know where to start or what to get that is good/decent, within my severely limited financial constraints. I already have a good computer, with multiple monitors, I have a decent Mic (Blue Yeti Pro); but I'm not certain about the actual "music making" components to get. Specifically a Midi controller and any associated gear.

I know that as far as DAWs go its a matter of personal preference and budget, with a little on what genre/sound you are looking for. So that will take some experimentation on my part, but I just don't know what gear to get...

So I was wondering if you find folks could suggest some inexpensive "starter" gear (that may be up-gradable/reusable or otherwise money saving), that is not going to be problematic or break on me easily.

Also if you know of good places to get said gear, or where to look (I've been browsing craigslist periodically), I would really appreciate that as well.

Thanks in advance.

Do you have an audio interface?
Have any experience with any DAW earlier?

For midi keyboard, buy a used one. I would get a 49 key at least. Depends on what you plan to play. Doesnt sound like you gonna play alot 2 hand piano.
Most midi controllers will do. M-audio has some decent ones that still goes cheap used. And there are tons of other brands. I would make sure it can handle a sustain pedal but most can do anyways.

For Audio interface - if you dont have one - I take it 1 or 2 channel/inputs will work a long way.
Again, lots of brands go go for on the used market. The quality is varuing but most has decent enough mic preamps for a newcomer. Thats what you are?

Monitors (speakers) or plan to go with headset only?

Also; what budget are we talking about?

Try to put as much info as possible into your request. Will make it easier for people to answer.

Yeah, sorry. I wasn't sure exactly what all information was exactly pertinent.

I'm probably going to be stuck with headphones for a while, because...neighbors.

I don't really have much experience with DAWs, other than just playing around with them a little bit.

Budget is...well I'm not sure, because I don't even know what is reasonable or all that I really need/should get. I'm just trying to figure out what is the "best" beginner investment, for the littlest amount of money.

See, because I'm on a fixed budget, I'm a disabled veteran, so I don't really have much to work with.

I'm a disabled vet too bro, what's up? never thought I'd run into another one on here. I went to this place in Olympia, WA and picked up the basic version of "studio One"..They recommended it so I bought it. and Now I swear by it. It comes with a basic audio interface and you can upgrade your software whenever /if you want.

Alienaircraftmusic, cool, nice too meet you. I'm assuming your a former Airman (because of your forum name)? I am, myself.

What's the name of the shop in Olympia? I'm just "up the road" from there in the Tacoma area.

Last edited:
nope, former Army combat medic, yea, I figured you were in the vicinity. It's this place called Music 6000. They have a lot of locally made stuff too. I picked up a Cascade mic from them at a nice price!

As far as inexpensive DAWs go, there are some decent options...Reaper offers an inexhaustible trial version; a personal license costs only $60. The aforementioned Studio One has a free version called Studio One Prime. Tracktion's current version, simply called T5, is completely free. And if you happen to have a Mac, you already have/have access to GarageBand, for free, which is very capable as well.

I'd look on eBay for a second hand midi-keyboard - budget tight > the little Akai MPK-mini. Small, but will get the job done.
Interface/soundcard > focusrite Scarlett Solo or 2i2 (check specs of both and see which suits)
Headphones > AudioTechnica ATH50X > look after them and they'll see you right.
DAW - you might get an Ableton intro with a Focusrite interface (you do in the UK) but Studio One is a good call imo - I'm still running V2 with no complaints - it's a very straightforward workflow.

Dws to look at:
Reason essentials
Reaper
Protols first
Studio One prime
Lmms
Podium
Whatever you get with your interface or midi controllers.

Midi devices:
nanopad or lpd.
small midi pianos at 25 keys [If you aren't learning the instrument you only need 25]
and the computer should be refurbished desktops with i3-7's in them or A4-Ryzen desktops.

[The computer should be 3-400$ minimum]

I think a good set up and cheap as you asked for is the alesis v61 ( Keyboard) , is cheap and has a few pads on the side just in case you need to do some drums and also a few knob that you can map trough your midi data. Regarding audio interfaces the m audio track with two mic input will be good!!! DAW's are expensive so you need to do a research on which one is better for you and your needs. I have this article with a quick overwie on the most famous DAW's Check it out!! DAW ( Digital Audio Workstation) - Music Production Software/tips -What are your needs???

:)

I still use an old win XP Athlon pc with a 2.2hgz processor from 2007. I haven't upgraded any of the software on it too much, but an old... decade+ pc can work just fine if your smart about what software you run, freeze tracks, and use a DAW with low system requirements.

Podium free (single core processing limit for free version)
Reaper (free to try, $60 to buy)
Tracktion 6(free)
Samplitude pro X silver (free, but 8 track limit)

Back