Selling a beat exclusively twice...

Hi all,

I'm new to the this and just wondering if you guys have done this. Im selling a beat to some artist for his first mixtape (So not well known atall). He loves it, wants it exclusively and paying lots. So i said sure, sorting out a contract now. But now, another artist (also unknown) wants the beat and is offering lots for it. What would i do about this situation? can i sell it to both?

Last edited:
I'm aware. Asking if anyone has done this, consequences? Sold the beat exclusively to someone, now someone else would also like to use the beat and offering alot to use it

Probably not the most moral thing to do. They are paying "alot" to use it exclusively. Will you get in trouble? Probably not seeing that they are not well known and probably don't know each other.

Yeah that's not very good professional practice.

Maybe be you could auction the beat off to the highest bidder between them?

Sell it to the first one to whom you've already promised and explain the situation to the other. Don't be a dick.

So why even bother drawing a contract for this if your just gonna break it and sell the already sold rights to someone esle?? lol definitely bad for business but do you man

The exclusive rights to a beat just mean that the artist can use it for profit like on an album or if they put it on spottily etc. Leasing a beat to an artist means they can't.

There have been scenarios where an out of town artist (not very well known) arrives to their destination to do a set only to find that the act before them is using the same "exclusive" beat with "exclusive" rights as well. Some folks think they can move like that if the artists are in different regions, or little to unknown. If you like the name you're creating under and plan to do this for awhile; I'd avoid breaking your word in general but especially to your customers.

I would echo Krushing: don't be a dick. Besides, since you've trumpeted it all over futureproducers, it would be pretty easy for the two people in question to figure out you've sold them a bill of goods

Appreciate all the replies.

Don't worry I will not be selling exclusives twice. I decided to sell i to the one who wanted it first :)

depends if the contract around the exclusivity is on ownership of the beat. if they both own the beat then its bad business and risky because one could blow and the guy at the bottom is gonna be like..hey..thats my beat xD

Back