Sample or Remake?

Jonny Dibs

I've only tried remixes where I make up 100% of the instruments, not trying to sound like the original at all. To remix a song with some of the sounds/instruments of the original do you like to sample or re-create the sound and why?

I've only tried remixes where I make up 100% of the instruments, not trying to sound like the original at all. To remix a song with some of the sounds/instruments of the original do you like to sample or re-create the sound and why?

Im like that too, I like to make everything up 100% from scratch. Only problem is everyone makes remixes so close to originals nowadays that its devaluing actual remixing. And its so easy to just make an edit basically and call it a remix and get 2 million views (or so it seems) ; So I'm starting to bite the bullet a bit more and sample more from the original..only hooky parts though that deserve to be in it and shouldn't be left out. If other people are getting away with it I might as well take advantage haha. But other then that I wish everyone just made remixes with 100% original productions. I still make sure to change it enough. but I try to think like what a consumer wants in a song now when i remix versus my mindset before was just trying to over produce everything and show effort. I think thats how everyone starts out though.

Last edited:
Quick remix is not good remix at all. Good remix is when producer thinks about the song in a different way that it was composed. Why not slow down the vocal track to make dupstep remix from the electropop song? I like to remix song in my own style, and try not to get used to the original. The best way for me is to extract the acapella from the original song (or find it on the DJ/remix pages), listen it several times (slow it down, maybe fasten a bit) and imagine what I can do with it. There's also a good way to cut only the best vocal parts from the original and build a new song around it. I love the Ed Sheeran remix from Koan Sound. It's brilliant!

Quick remix is not good remix at all.

Tell that to every single consumer eating the garbage up right now. I dont like it but nowadays an edit passes as a remix and gets you just as much respect and more followers with consumers than something that they arent expecting to hear. If you're doing this to build a fan base and career you need to find the balance between impressing consumers and impressing other producers. And if powering out a bunch of quick reworks to get people to listen to you (in order to actually make what you want to make) then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited:
Im like that too, I like to make everything up 100% from scratch. Only problem is everyone makes remixes so close to originals nowadays that its devaluing actual remixing. And its so easy to just make an edit basically and call it a remix and get 2 million views (or so it seems) ; So I'm starting to bite the bullet a bit more and sample more from the original..only hooky parts though that deserve to be in it and shouldn't be left out. If other people are getting away with it I might as well take advantage haha. But other then that I wish everyone just made remixes with 100% original productions. I still make sure to change it enough. but I try to think like what a consumer wants in a song now when i remix versus my mindset before was just trying to over produce everything and show effort. I think thats how everyone starts out though.

I don't want it so close to the original. But I do enjoy a remix better when the is at least one instrument or sound the brings me back to the original. Like ONE instrument in the same key and note but you change up the melody of it a bit, just something that reminds you of the original.

But my main question is which route do you like to go to get that sound? Trying to sample and pull it out of the original with crazy EQ'ing or trying to figure out what the instrument is a re creating it?

Back