Rock Band looking to find the perfect DAW for group creation while living apart.

Oshoü

Hello! I'm new to the forum. Nice to meet you all. My band is a three piece and we're currently losing out on the only space we have to practice, so we're going to try and work the way Primus and Tool do. Apart from each other. As of right now, I use Ableton Live, but my band mates know nothing about DAW's and want to find one that we can all get good at together. We want to be able to send each other our recordings so we can mess with them and create as a unit from afar.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to make this work because it's something I've honestly never tried. We are currently using Asana to communicate. I suggested maybe we do a couple demo projects using Caustic 3 (as we all have smart phones) but they seemed apprehensive. I'm looking for home run ideas on where to start.

I told them to create an account on here because it looks like a great resource in and of itself.

What DAW's do you all think would be the best for a split up rock band looking to work on projects while living apart?
Or if you have any suggestions on how to organize or tips to help us out with this unusual situation, it'd be highly appreciated. Thank you and I look forward to conversating and learning a lot from you all!

I recommend sticking to ableton live since you already have experience in it and if a mate of yours has problems, you can tell what to do.
Also Ableton Live can be usefull if you wanna play live and use it as well.

If I keep thinking about producing while living apart, I know that the latest Cubase has some kind of cloud function where you can invite other people that can change the project file and you get the updated version.
It´s made for people that want to produce on 1 track while being split on the globe. Donno if Ableton Live is having the same function :P

I'd suggest Reaper, not only because it's a very capable DAW, but because it's also extremely affordable. The regular Ableton Live license is about $450, which is a lot of money for every member of the band to put down just for a bit of collab - especially if they're a bit hesitant already.

I recommend sticking to ableton live since you already have experience in it and if a mate of yours has problems, you can tell what to do.
Also Ableton Live can be usefull if you wanna play live and use it as well.

If I keep thinking about producing while living apart, I know that the latest Cubase has some kind of cloud function where you can invite other people that can change the project file and you get the updated version.
It´s made for people that want to produce on 1 track while being split on the globe. Donno if Ableton Live is having the same function :P

I agree with you. It'd be extra beneficial as a three piece to have Live right there, set up via a MIDI keyboard to play some stuff on loops when we need it.

Cubase has a cloud feature huh? That's a great! Thanks for the tips.

I'd suggest Reaper, not only because it's a very capable DAW, but because it's also extremely affordable. The regular Ableton Live license is about $450, which is a lot of money for every member of the band to put down just for a bit of collab - especially if they're a bit hesitant already.

Yeah, we missed the boat on getting Ableton for free as a student. I mean, two of us are, but our drummer just graduated, so we'll be sure to check out Reaper. Thank you for the suggestion!!

Back