Registering songs with ascap/bmi

elbee

ok...i don't think i've seen this question before, and since i'm in the process of putting up a site showcasing my beats i was wondering a couple of things:

1) should i copyright and then register my songs with ascap/bmi or the other way around?

2) after i copyright and register my tracks, after i license them to other artists, should i also register the final product with ascap/bmi, or will the instrumental be enough to get paid if they get some decent sales?

'preciate everyone who has any input!

Originally posted by elbee [/QUOTR][/B]

1) should i copyright and then register my songs with ascap/bmi or the other way around?
Yeah. Send in for your copyright and then register. You don't have to wait for a certificate to do that. However you can't affiliate with them if you have no published music. YOu only need to register works that are published. Don't just register songs like you do with copyrights. If that doesn't make sense let me know and I'll explain it a little better.

2) after i copyright and register my tracks, after i license them to other artists, should i also register the final product with ascap/bmi, or will the instrumental be enough to get paid if they get some decent sales?
You need to read my first answer. You don't just register beats with BMI,ASCAP, or SESAC. They are responsable for collecting royalties on songs that are published and are on the radio, film, tv, internet, clubs, bars, concerts, ect. You don't just register songs with them to do it. Also though, if you did sell a beat and someone made a song out of it, then you should get a writer percentage and publisher percentage if your smart. Just go to BMI's website and read about it. That way you'll understand what they do a little better.

this from bmi on publishing...

A song is considered to have been "published" when lead sheets or printed copies of the music, or copies of a record or tape containing the song, are distributed to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease or lending.

so, i'm assuming this includes licensing, and i should wait until whoever i license or sell the beat to has a final product and register that. is this correct?

thanks 4 your help btw

elbee said:
this from bmi on publishing...

A song is considered to have been "published" when lead sheets or printed copies of the music, or copies of a record or tape containing the song, are distributed to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease or lending.

so, i'm assuming this includes licensing, and i should wait until whoever i license or sell the beat to has a final product and register that. is this correct?

thanks 4 your help btw

Correct. You just want to make shure in your contract that they understand, that you will be wanting a share of the writing and publishing in case it goes to radio.

Back