Recording Vocals in FL Studio

Echolocation

I was wondering how I record vocals in FL Studio I can't seem to figure out to do it I know how to get the vocoder working so I can hear my vocals and everything, but the actual recording part of it I don't get and tryed reading it in the turtorials couldn't seem to find right info on it. I understand how to record midi patterns/samples, but vocals are a bit of a mystery to me still.

I believe you open the mixer window...and at hte bottom of it there's a "in"... set that to your soundcard and arm the channel to record...

My question... is why would you want to record in FL. I know you can, but it's not really good for recording vocals

Yeah True^^ it may be easier to track your beat into like acid or protools or something then record your audio, but sorry i really dont know how to record vocals in Fruity.

I want to do it mostly for it's vocoder which I think would be easier to get the sound I want if I was recording right inside FL rather than importing a prerecorded wav file.

I figured out how to get it to work it's a pain in the neck, but it works. The sad part is I think I'll probably just go back to doing the vocals with audacity then importing them into FL Studio and tweaking them that way instead all though there might be a few times where I'll record vocals inside FL so I'm glad I found out how just the same.

I got FL XXL 7 and know the general things for recording vocals ... this is my problem (I hope it hasnt been asked in another fourm, I did the google fourm search) The sound quality is pretty clear considering I dont have a non "stock" soundcard on my laptop (its new this year), but what Im having trouble with is actually recording Im away from my larger studio setup living in a different country with limited resources, where Im getting stuck is I want to hear the beat to spit with but at the same time It plays normal while the vocals come through with a delay it throws me off, Im no one take jake, I need to cancle the sound of the incoming vocals. Once I can get the basics set mabey Ill start experimenting with some more advanced sound engineering. Thanks for any help. Peace -

I record Vocals into FL using Edison just route all the in's and out's of your soundcard to whatever your using to record then after you have the signal within Fl, add Edison to your master track and record

Recording vocals in Fl is just plain to hard and it has some setbacks I say just get Cubase or another DAW that was actually made to record.

On my desktop in the states I have more flexiblity I have been using edison, mabey Im using the wrong ins in outs this is whats happening, I can record the vocals accapella then apply them to the beat, but its almost certain to be off, doing this I still hear what Im saying in the headphones w/ delay, I can hear my voice without it coming through my headphones right, so what I imagine would clear the process up is if I could turn off the vocal out and just have it input, while the beat comes out, and ideal comes out without input into the recorded section at the same time.

load the vocoder template then go into audio settings and load asio in the top option.
if u dont have asio google asio4all
fix your latency then close that panel.
now in the mixer go to your modulator chanell and select the input source.
activate your mic in your pc's control panel.
now talk n press play.

if u need to record vocoded speech arm the master channel [floppy icon] and unarm the modulator channel. then press record to prepaer and play when your ready

Last edited:
to fix the latency.. I what... increase the samples in and out or decress or one or the other ? Also do you recoomend using the mixer as the playback position or livingReset plugins on transport armed..

Seriously thanks for the help so far fp is my only production connection living in a small town in Brazil, I dont have contact with my buddies who use FL in the states.. word thanks again

O.K. Here's what I do with th emcees in my crew.

1. I have FL Studio 7. Instead of the primary sound driver, I use the ASIO driver upgrade. It should come stock with the FL 7 installer. If not, you can google it and get it for free. Run the ASIO sound driver as the primary driver for your FL Setup. The recording proces will not happen unless you have this or a very expensive sound card. Desktops CPU users can change out the sound card if they want. Laptop users are pretty much stuck with what you have.

2. There is this niffty little plugin called Tapeit. It's made by the guys at silverspike. They have a .com of the same name. There you can get what I call FL recorders life saver. It plugs in to the VST and can only be used with the Mixer. After recording, it saves the new vocals as a stand alone wave file. Now you can edit it as if it were a sound from the pack. On the weed site there are two versions. Tapeit is the first and what I call trial version. Tapeit 2 allows you so many more options such as plugin insert upon recording and a whole lot more. You can download Tapeit for free. Tapeit 2 cost a lil change (unless you figure out how to crack it. But why?). Remember to set the input on the mixer. Depending on your set up, stereo or mono. Any question, get at me.

so in fl studio, i wont have to buy any type of usb interface to record vocals on my laptop? just a usb mic?

Echolocation said:
I was wondering how I record vocals in FL Studio I can't seem to figure out to do it I know how to get the vocoder working so I can hear my vocals and everything, but the actual recording part of it I don't get and tryed reading it in the turtorials couldn't seem to find right info on it. I understand how to record midi patterns/samples, but vocals are a bit of a mystery to me still.

SampleSimple.com has recently launched direct training support sessions for vocal recording in FL Studio. They'll remote into your computer or help you out directly via telephone. You can also watch some of the FL Studio recording and sampling videos on the YouTube Channel: http://youtube.com/samplesimple
http://flex.samplesimple.com/help-training-support/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UCVFgZ72pE

Last edited:
at first I really don't mind you because you have good info! But come on man! This is spam and its obvious! I Highly recommend his videos and such but please dont post all of that!

Obitheincredible said:
at first I really don't mind you because you have good info! But come on man! This is spam and its obvious! I Highly recommend his videos and such but please dont post all of that!

Hi Obitheincredible, I didnt realize this was spam.

We havent been reported by anyone and are doing our job in helping out the digital sampling community through this offer and yes through direct promotional efforts.

I've seized the images for your liking and anyone else that has a problem with our activity.

Are you still interested in providing your soundpacks for the website?
We'd love to have them featured on the site as our userbase would appreciate new downloads especially soundkits.

Thanks. PM me.

neffew said:
so in fl studio, i wont have to buy any type of usb interface to record vocals on my laptop? just a usb mic?

That is correct. We've successfully used the Samson Audio C01U USB MIC to record vocals into FL Studio using the packagedd ASIO4ALL v2 drivers.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810

The TASCAM interfaces also work very well.

Last edited:
Hey Sounvolution, what's good my dude? Side question, when are you guys gonna post some beatmaking videos in your series, would love to see your processes based on the tips/advice you guys been blessing us iwth ?

jeffery225 said:
Hey Sounvolution, what's good my dude? Side question, when are you guys gonna post some beatmaking videos in your series, would love to see your processes based on the tips/advice you guys been blessing us iwth ?

Hey jeffery225,
Thank you for your continued interest and support in our works and resources we provide to the beat production community.

Since you have been so persistent in requesting a beatmaking video from us, in past forum discusssions, we're going to sponsor and provide you with a FREE 1 Month SampleSimple.com 125x125 Beat Spot Ad Block. You'll enjoy premium ad-space on the website where you'll have the opportunity to advertise, market and promote (and showcase) your beats/beat shop website to our existing visitors and high traffic.

You'll also have the opportunity to partake in the building of an upcoming beat production to enhance your beat marketing efforts in your beat production campaign and brand building.

We'll PM you in the coming days with details.

if your only looking to record through FL normally just do this:

go to your audio settings and load your ASIO or asio4all driver. set buffer to small but to a level with no crackling.
go to the mixer and open any mixer track, and on the top u see a slot saying IN. click it then select the driver thats available.
pick your recording source on your pc control panel.. line or mic usually.
on the end of your mixer channel u just picked theres a floppy disk icon click on it to enable. that arms the channel for recording and save a location.
now put FL into song mode and press the record button. when your ready to record press play and stop when your finished. then hit the record button again to turn it off.
the vocal or whatever u just recorded should show in the automation area under the playlist

Last edited:
Back