Recording Vocals in FL Studio

its easier through flstudio8. in 8 it gives you the option when you click record. I do all of my recording through Fl Studio and it sounds professional. all you gotta do is select a mixer channel then name it (vocal) then click input and if u have the stock input use that if not use the other option. like me i use the asio v 4 all one. cuz i have the m audio pre amp. which helps alot. then click record and click record the third option.

if your using edison to record you can click the button on the right of the toolbar and it will let you drag and drop the audio file into the sequencer. then you can slip edit or move it around to get it on time with the rest of the song

dennisJ said:
if your using edison to record you can click the button on the right of the toolbar and it will let you drag and drop the audio file into the sequencer. then you can slip edit or move it around to get it on time with the rest of the song

Precisely.

i actually use FL to record
on ur mixer, select a channel (i usually select channel "1" easier to locate when you are recording.)
after selecting a channel, top right corner there is a drop down menu "IN" select whatever mic inputs u have. (i have us-122L preamp and my mic is plugged into "MIC In L" so on my dropdown menu i select "us-122l L"

after all dat, open up ur playlist window "press F5"
then click record button
select "audio, into the playlist as an audio clip"
(this will count down from 10 or 5 and start recording wherever your marker on your playlist is at)

another option
you can also press play
then press record(while the beat is playing)
select "audio, into the playlist as an audio clip"
(this should start recording as soon as you click that option)

make sure every time you record
you have selected the channel where
you setup your "IN" mic (once you set it up you dont have to do it again unless you have change ur setting)

recording on FL is actually not bad
it is actually pretty good with quality and flexibility
you can also plug-in effect as you go(you can actually hear what would it soundlike before you record it)
also if your instrumental is made with fruityloops you can record your vocals right on that fl file
you have flexibility on editing of ur beat and vocals
on same playlist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edison is a powerful powerful program. I bounce down in FL all the time, and am going to start recording vocals soon enough.

I believe you open the mixer window...and at hte bottom of it there's a "in"... set that to your soundcard and arm the channel to record...

My question... is why would you want to record in FL. I know you can, but it's not really good for recording vocals
I have to disagree. I record vocals in FL Studio like a pro with methods that I have discovered. Dont get me wrong it is still unorganized with the track outs but ive been working with FL for 6 years now and with the right external gear you can do high quality pro recordings in FL. FL is not limited like many people think. The mixer really is superb if utilized correctly.

Back