Recording Real-time MIDI Control Parameters

Libertine Lush

I have a couple questions on recording the MIDI data from the manipulation of the various controls (knobs/pots/etc) on my synthesizers (hardware and software) in Logic.

1) After some googling, I found I could use the Automation Mode button in the channel strip to achieve what I'd like with software synths. Is this the right approach for software and hardware synths?
2) Using the same approach as above, I could not get the same result with a hardware synth (Moog Sub 37--it does transmit MIDI on its pots) I tried. Instead, what happens is that while the track region shows the pots being tweaked, when I open the Automation subtracks, it only shows Volume and Pan, when I had actually tweaked Filter Cutoff, Resonance and Multidrive, which is represented by the three "bumps" in the track region of the below screenshot. Is this simply a limitation of not being a software instrument or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for any help.

Mg6D13xl.png

Last edited:
need to assign the knobs to the same parameter inside of logic - this goes beyond midi learn, as those parameters will most likely be part of the NRPN range of numbers

cannot guide you on the specifics of how to do this but this should help narrow your search

you may want to consider creating a template of the control structure of the sub37 - something that cubase lets you do, not so sure for logic again - that you then use to ensure that knob tweaking on the synth results in the correct data being received/recorded/retransmitted

The first thing you want to do is make sure Logic isn't filtering certain types of MIDI, you should be able to hit record twist a knob and then see what kind of data is being received by checking out the MIDI event list editor.

In Cubase we can make MIDI device panels for editing various MIDI instruments because Steinberg incorporated the studio module into Cubase, Logic had a similar thing with Sound Diver but unfortunately Apple didn't incorporate that into Logic although you can probably do the same kind of thing with the environment or at the very least manipulate shit in the controller lanes.

need to assign the knobs to the same parameter inside of logic - this goes beyond midi learn, as those parameters will most likely be part of the NRPN range of numbers

cannot guide you on the specifics of how to do this but this should help narrow your search

Could you recommend a good set of keywords to search with?

I've tried things like "logic knob assign parameter" without finding relevant results.

Thanks.

I would recommend searching for "Logic Environment" if you are lucky someone might have already made a template for your hardware, that's kind of what we do in the Cubase community with our MIDI device panels.

The first thing you want to do is make sure Logic isn't filtering certain types of MIDI, you should be able to hit record twist a knob and then see what kind of data is being received by checking out the MIDI event list editor.

Good to know. I tested it and MIDI from the Sub 37 pots aren't filtered.

I would recommend searching for "Logic Environment" if you are lucky someone might have already made a template for your hardware, that's kind of what we do in the Cubase community with our MIDI device panels.

"Logic Environment" along with the specific model of the synth? I found nothing for the Sub 37. I also tried "logic template sub 37." Is there a specific name for these type of templates, perhaps that can narrow it down?

I assume this process of setting up a the pots/knobs for a synth is somewhat laborious, given that shareable templates exist for this practice?

Thanks.

Back