recording my guitar

fatmike13

Maybe a random question but is it a good idea to connect my guitar straight into a computer or just record with a mic from the amp?

both have their merits

direct in: you can audition/use the fx/amp simulators in your daw without having to re-record the part over and over

amp and mic: you have control of the sound from the get go and are not struggling to understand how the final part will come out

I do both based on time and ability to play without having a full knowledge of the final sound

I use gtr3.

I prefer gtr3. If you want to hear it. I have it on a few soundcloud songs. But not the edm ones.

Look for gtr3 to go on sale during the holidays. Waves.com

Gtr3 to me sounds awesome and many of thee best amps ever. The stomps resemble boss. And tc electronic. They all behave well and analog minus imperfections. The cabinets and mics sounds vary drastically compared to one another. But sound good.

Things can get noisy and analog but it seems it all lacks unwanted hiss inbetween stomps and components.

You can save alot of money this way and get 10s of thousands of dollars worth of equipment. You can experiment with your sound and change it often, even after a recording.

Quite simply you have 20 of the best amps readily and easily to be used. It usually costs about 140. You can find the solo version which is smaller, for about 18 at musiciansfriend.com maybe in the case being it is still on sale.

The price is inexpensive but contrary to that it is outstanding and is the best on the market in my opnion.

Last edited:
I have a low watt marshal amp. I plug that output into my interface. I record simultaneously 2 tracks: one the dry amp, and the second into somthing like GT3 or guitarrig. Then blend the 2 recordings together. This allows for fine tuning via the plugins. But also allows you to have original control of your beginning sound.

Ive always been interested in how people record their guitars so perfectly without any noise from the amp. What do you mean by interface? What would i have to buy in order to connect my guitar into an "interface" and into Fl studio?

All you would need to buy is google "audio interface". You could get one as cheep as 99$ but I would advise going with a medium priced one. The interface plugs into your computer and your guitar plugs into that. You also might want to look into a pre-amp if you are going to plug your guitar directly into the interface. the preamp makes the guitar louder. You prob could get both for 300$ on ebay. I think you pay for what you get, so I opt to buy the more expensive item in your price range. Hope that helps

I don't have an amp but I plug both my electric and bass guitars into an old Line-6 Pod (red-bean) and then into my 2i2... Usually run it through Guitar Rig later.
For acoustic guitar I mic it up with a little Sony stereo condenser (fixed-mini-jack lead and takes an AA) that I found in my father-in-laws garage... Acoustic is the only thing it sounds good on...

I record mines through audio interface, but before I had that I just used a guitar smith connector haha

Back