Recording intimate performance, on location (what am I looking for?)

aelwyn

Hey all,

My apologies for my utter lack of knowledge on this subject — I'm so clueless, I'm not even sure what questions to be asking, so I'll try and explain the situation.

My employer is planning a new video series in which musical artists/bands are invited to the office (in LA) for a short interview, followed by a performance of a 5- or 6-song set. On the video side, I'm good. But when it comes to capturing the audio from the performance, I'm nervous. I asked whether we'd be expecting singer-songwriter types with just an acoustic guitar and their voice... or full bands. And if it was a full band, would we be capturing an acoustic, "unplugged" set... or the full monty. The response I got was: plan for both.

Great.

The problem is, while we have the gear for filming and enough audio gear for the interview, we have NONE of the equipment needed to record a live band. So, a few questions...

1) Are there sound engineers who are mobile? That is, ones who will actually come to a specific location and set up there?
2) If these people exist, do they typically bring their own equipment? If so, how extensive is the equipment they're likely to have? I know, obviously, different people would have different services, but is it reasonable to expect to find a sound guy who actually has EVERYTHING short of the instruments to set up and record a live performance?
3) Probably a really REALLY stupid question, but in this situation, would the expectation normally be for the band to bring their own mics, amps, cables, etc? Or is that strictly a case-by-case basis?

I'm so out of my element here. I guess, in a nutshell, I'm just trying to find out how to go about finding a professional (or company) who can do this. What should I be looking for? I don't even know if it's an individual, or if I'd need the services of an entire production company of some sort.

Thanks for any guidance anyone can offer...

Last edited:
Back