Page 3 of 59 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Books

echoGHOST Guest
    Sign in to disable this ad
    "This Is Your Brain On Music: The Science of a Human Obsession" (Dutton/Penguin, 2006) by Daniel Levtin. Basically about what music does to our brain.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by primofan34
    "Making Beats: The Art of Sample Based Hip Hop" is a must read. It's real producers talking about ethics of sampling, sampling from vinyl vs. cd, what is real hip hop and why a lot of the producers interviewed for the book don't like RZA's beats. There's much more than that though, just read it.
    I'm not directing this at you, but RZA is one of the better sampling producers out there, and if anyone, producer or not, doesn't like his beats, they're either incredibly stuborn or have no idea what they're talking about.

I'd like to compare the people in that book who don't like his beats to his production credits.

I don't think any other HipHop producer has ever done as many film scores, worked with more diverse artists/groups or have nearly as incredible feats.

RZA is by far one of the best producers, sampling or not, hands down, and anyone who thinks different is off their rocker and just hatin' on the man.
    ONE LOVE
    PhobikONE
    A dope beat is like a lunar eclipse...
    http://www.soundclick.com/phobikone
    http://www.myspace.com/phobikone

Thanks
    HOME RECORDING FOR MUSICIANS FOR DUMMIES!!!!!

ANY beginner should read this book!!!!

It covers all the BASIC questions about music production and it's VERY easy to understand.....

BBM

Thanks
    [quote=PhobikONE]I'm not directing this at you, but RZA is one of the better sampling producers out there, and if anyone, producer or not, doesn't like his beats, they're either incredibly stuborn or have no idea what they're talking about.

I'd like to compare the people in that book who don't like his beats to his production credits.

CO-SIGN!!

Thanks
    [QUOTE=vonclay]
    Quote Originally Posted by PhobikONE
    I'm not directing this at you, but RZA is one of the better sampling producers out there, and if anyone, producer or not, doesn't like his beats, they're either incredibly stuborn or have no idea what they're talking about.

CO-SIGN!!
    Let me re-itterate that last line a bit...

I'd like to compare the production credits of RZA vs the NaySayerBeatHaters, and see who has accumulated a better resume.
    ONE LOVE
    PhobikONE
    A dope beat is like a lunar eclipse...
    http://www.soundclick.com/phobikone
    http://www.myspace.com/phobikone

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhobikONE
    I'd like to compare the production credits of RZA vs the NaySayerBeatHaters, and see who has accumulated a better resume.
    I'd like to read first why they don't like his beats before starting a resume pissing contest.
    They Make A Desert And Call It Peace

Bittihiisi | Krushing | Krushord | Salaneuvosto |

Thanks

I don't think any other HipHop producer has ever done as many film scores, worked with more diverse artists/groups or have nearly as incredible feats.

RZA is by far one of the best producers, sampling or not, hands down, and anyone who thinks different is off their rocker and just hatin' on the man.
    Uh Oh...Yeah, a lot of the people interviewed in the book (I don't have access to the book right now, so I can't name who specifically was interviewed in the book other than Prince Paul and he spoke in favor of RZA) criticize him for being off beat and not using quantization. They talk about it from a production stand point and a DJ standpoint. For the record RZA was one of the reasons I got more serious about beatmaking.

Thanks
    Not using quantization? Wtf?
    They Make A Desert And Call It Peace

Bittihiisi | Krushing | Krushord | Salaneuvosto |

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krushing
    Not using quantization? Wtf?

I know how it sounds but somehow he made it work...you can hear the offness in his beats and it still sounded good...Kind of like a method to the madness type producer.....He actually started sounding worse when he took up learning music theory and learning piano and how to compose...That's when the Wu started falling off...Right when the Bobby Digital era started....

Recommended book...The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People...
    Last edited by bluchippa5; 01-04-2007 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks
    hi i'm new to this producing thing, making beats and all that, but i have some experience with recording. i use my pc and an audigy2 with a mic to record vocals to beats but other than that i have no other experience. I really want to get into producing and making beats, as i read and look through people's studios, i get really confused. Which book would you guys recommend where i can learn the basics, of a producing and recording studio, learn about what kind of hardwaare is needed or can be use, and what each hardwaare is used for, and also how much hardware is availiable for a producing studio...thank YOU!!!
    when you laugh you have already won...

Thread Information