Recommended Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Songwriting Sourcebook: How to Turn Chords Into Great Songs

This is a really great book that teaches you loads about chords. It gets a little repetitive with the examples (there are tons...) but if you work through them you will be better off.
It has some really neat tips, and finally answered all my questions about inversions and other stuff. Unfortunately, It doesn't actually teach you how to construct chords (from what I can remember).

Anyway, great book. Get it from amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/Songwriting-Sourcebook-Chords-Great-Songs/dp/0879307498

Last edited by a moderator:
Staggerlee said:
As per hitz suggestion Im making a list of recommended books.

Books concerning overall success in life:

"Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill
-A MUST MUST ABSOLUTELY MUST read book about pretty much how to use the most valuable asset you will ever have - your head.

Any other books by him are great as well.

Music Theory

"Theory of Harmony", "Counterpoint" and "Fundamentals of Composition" by Arnold Schoenberg - a contemporary composer, the first 2 books will give you a wealth of knowledge that can pretty soon teach how to compose entire symphonies.

"6 Steps to Songwriting Success" - Jason Blume, a good read with some real gems.

And add some other stuff dudes, I aint doin all the reading.

also think and grow rich a black mans choice rewritten by dennis kimbro ..have read both dif info def worth the read.....

48 laws of power ...forgot the name of the author about every one from ghengis khan to oprah to the ming dynasty awesome

and of course rich dad poor dad .. robert kiosaki

modern recording techniques david miles huber (fifth edition) just picked this one up some interesting stuff

ednegga said:
O.K Guys, a lotta the books that I have or have read have been posted and here's is an addition to contribute.

Gotta Get Signed: How to Become a Hip-Hop Producer by Sahpreem A. King

i read that its a good book ... a lot of contact info at the end ...not sure how up to date it is

Last edited:
Staggerlee said:
As per hitz suggestion Im making a list of recommended books.

Books concerning overall success in life:

"Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill
-A MUST MUST ABSOLUTELY MUST read book about pretty much how to use the most valuable asset you will ever have - your head.

Any other books by him are great as well.

Music Theory

"Theory of Harmony", "Counterpoint" and "Fundamentals of Composition" by Arnold Schoenberg - a contemporary composer, the first 2 books will give you a wealth of knowledge that can pretty soon teach how to compose entire symphonies.

"6 Steps to Songwriting Success" - Jason Blume, a good read with some real gems.

And add some other stuff dudes, I aint doin all the reading.

that book is the truth man I am reading it know I got the first version I like to read it when I am having trouble on a beat or the goals I want seem so far away.

Think and Grow Rich is one of the best books I've read.

Another life changer for me was "Cashflow Quadrants" by Robert Kiyosaki. Very good book and inspirational to get out of the "ratrace."

C.S. Lews is a favorite author, and "Mere Christianity" and "C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life" are two of my favorites.

I'll second "Idiots Guide to Music Theory." If you are just getting started in production, this is a good place to start -- help you "strategize" a little better in production.

The Bible

Man, the greatest book ive ever read is the bible!!! JESUS WROTE IT, make sure you go get one now!!!

ALSO,"MAKE IT HAPPEN"!!!

The KEVIN LYLES BOOK!!! GO COP THAT!

GREAT BOOK

PlanetHitzProduction said:
All You Need To Know About The Music Business by [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]Donald S. Passman

READ UP! :cheers:
[/SIZE]

i just picked this one up at barnes and nobles today, out of the music business books they had that one looked liked the best, i need to read through this thread all way through again for some sound design books, if there isnt any, please someone list some

i need a book !! i dont need a book on "beatmaking tipz" or "how to get signed" . i want to learn about recording .mixing, mastering, what the difference between cables are, what different equipment is used for and how to use it, what a bus is . I dont need a book on how to use Cubase or anything like that, just how to record and the rest of the technical aspect, basically the same thing i would learn in a 9 month course at an engineering school. I am going to help out with a project my friend is recording and have been given the chance to go to the studio to see how its done and also to co-produce and give ideas. I would like to go with a heads-up on the recording lingo and mechanics. thanks

D$B said:
I would also recommend Michael Miller's book "Idiots Guide to Music Theory"

Haha, I almost bought that the other day but I bought his other one: "Idiots Guide to Music Composition"

Both are good, I'm gonna buy the other one too.

co sign to "Mastering Audio" which was mentioned... even if you have no intention of becoming a mastering engineer, it has stuff that will help you step your game up anyway.

1st up said:
48 laws of power ...forgot the name of the author about every one from ghengis khan to oprah to the ming dynasty awesome

Robert Greene. Another awesome book.

And not to be a dick but OWNERS MANUALS first and foremost for producers!!! I think many here will agree.

I don't understand what "Books concerning overall success do in life:Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill " do here.

Word.....

California said:
i need a book !! i dont need a book on "beatmaking tipz" or "how to get signed" . i want to learn about recording .mixing, mastering, what the difference between cables are, what different equipment is used for and how to use it, what a bus is . I dont need a book on how to use Cubase or anything like that, just how to record and the rest of the technical aspect, basically the same thing i would learn in a 9 month course at an engineering school. I am going to help out with a project my friend is recording and have been given the chance to go to the studio to see how its done and also to co-produce and give ideas. I would like to go with a heads-up on the recording lingo and mechanics. thanks

Sounds like you need a publisher, you've got a book already.

MY RECOMENDED BOOK IS SCRATCH MAGAZINE!!!!
lol

Naw, but on the real, GET THE KEVIN LYLES BOOK!!! ITS DOPE!! U WILL MAKE IT IF U READ IT.

And check out my myspace page pimp!!! YES SIRRRR

JAY WES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back