Recommended Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
primofan34 said:
"Making Beats: The Art of Sample Based Hip Hop" is a must read. It's real producers talking about ethics of sampling, sampling from vinyl vs. cd, what is real hip hop and why a lot of the producers interviewed for the book don't like RZA's beats. There's much more than that though, just read it.

I'm not directing this at you, but RZA is one of the better sampling producers out there, and if anyone, producer or not, doesn't like his beats, they're either incredibly stuborn or have no idea what they're talking about.

I'd like to compare the people in that book who don't like his beats to his production credits.

I don't think any other HipHop producer has ever done as many film scores, worked with more diverse artists/groups or have nearly as incredible feats.

RZA is by far one of the best producers, sampling or not, hands down, and anyone who thinks different is off their rocker and just hatin' on the man.

HOME RECORDING FOR MUSICIANS FOR DUMMIES!!!!!

ANY beginner should read this book!!!!

It covers all the BASIC questions about music production and it's VERY easy to understand.....

BBM:cheers:

PhobikONE said:
I'm not directing this at you, but RZA is one of the better sampling producers out there, and if anyone, producer or not, doesn't like his beats, they're either incredibly stuborn or have no idea what they're talking about.

I'd like to compare the people in that book who don't like his beats to his production credits.

CO-SIGN!!

vonclay said:
PhobikONE said:

CO-SIGN!!

Let me re-itterate that last line a bit...

I'd like to compare the production credits of RZA vs the NaySayerBeatHaters, and see who has accumulated a better resume.

PhobikONE said:
I'd like to compare the production credits of RZA vs the NaySayerBeatHaters, and see who has accumulated a better resume.

I'd like to read first why they don't like his beats before starting a resume pissing contest.

I don't think any other HipHop producer has ever done as many film scores, worked with more diverse artists/groups or have nearly as incredible feats.

RZA is by far one of the best producers, sampling or not, hands down, and anyone who thinks different is off their rocker and just hatin' on the man.

Uh Oh...Yeah, a lot of the people interviewed in the book (I don't have access to the book right now, so I can't name who specifically was interviewed in the book other than Prince Paul and he spoke in favor of RZA) criticize him for being off beat and not using quantization. They talk about it from a production stand point and a DJ standpoint. For the record RZA was one of the reasons I got more serious about beatmaking.

krushing said:
Not using quantization? Wtf? :D

I know how it sounds but somehow he made it work...you can hear the offness in his beats and it still sounded good...Kind of like a method to the madness type producer.....He actually started sounding worse when he took up learning music theory and learning piano and how to compose...That's when the Wu started falling off...Right when the Bobby Digital era started....

Recommended book...The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People...

Last edited:
hi i'm new to this producing thing, making beats and all that, but i have some experience with recording. i use my pc and an audigy2 with a mic to record vocals to beats but other than that i have no other experience. I really want to get into producing and making beats, as i read and look through people's studios, i get really confused. Which book would you guys recommend where i can learn the basics, of a producing and recording studio, learn about what kind of hardwaare is needed or can be use, and what each hardwaare is used for, and also how much hardware is availiable for a producing studio...thank YOU!!!

Staggerlee said:
As per hitz suggestion Im making a list of recommended books.

Books concerning overall success in life:

"Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill
-A MUST MUST ABSOLUTELY MUST read book about pretty much how to use the most valuable asset you will ever have - your head.

Any other books by him are great as well.

Music Theory

"Theory of Harmony", "Counterpoint" and "Fundamentals of Composition" by Arnold Schoenberg - a contemporary composer, the first 2 books will give you a wealth of knowledge that can pretty soon teach how to compose entire symphonies.

"6 Steps to Songwriting Success" - Jason Blume, a good read with some real gems.

And add some other stuff dudes, I aint doin all the reading.

man that book is deep man I am just starting to read it and it made me think about my life and my whole thought process in acheving my goals in a different way

bravo brotha said:
man that book is deep man I am just starting to read it and it made me think about my life and my whole thought process in acheving my goals in a different way

What verison of the book are you guys reading, I noticed there different verisons of it on amazon.com...

Get the original version, not the 21st century updated one.

"man that book is deep man I am just starting to read it and it made me think about my life and my whole thought process in acheving my goals in a different way"

Im glad ur reading this. When you are done let us know, it will def change ur life if thats what ur seeking.

Staggerlee said:
Get the original version, not the 21st century updated one.

"man that book is deep man I am just starting to read it and it made me think about my life and my whole thought process in acheving my goals in a different way"

Im glad ur reading this. When you are done let us know, it will def change ur life if thats what ur seeking.

this one???

Reading is Fun-damental

bobsmitt said:
i recommend reading the manual of the software/hardware/etc you're using

The sad part about this is that most of the manuals read like "Greek" when you're actually trying to do more than just "Play" with your hardware. They don't always tell you how to take the masterpiece you've created and move forward with it.. It takes time, trial and error and questions asked? That's why they create forums. Anyone can make a beat, it's what you do with it that matters!

Last edited by a moderator:
O.K Guys, a lotta the books that I have or have read have been posted and here's is an addition to contribute.

Gotta Get Signed: How to Become a Hip-Hop Producer by Sahpreem A. King

what's a good book on learning the basics on synthesizers and synth programming? Specifically software modular synths, if that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back