Recommended Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think i read through this whole thread
but i cant remember whether or not

Dance Music Manual by Rick Snoman

was mentioned, anyways highly recommend it...

im reading through it now!

I'm looking for new producers.

I'm looking for new producers. I do a&r for a major recording label and are actively looking for new up and coming music innovators. If this is you, you can hit me on twitter! My twitter name is trevorjerideau. You can do your research and discover that i'm a reputable a&r exec. This is very real! Looking forward to hearing some new music. In the meantime, keep working hard and perfecting your craft.

1) "Make It Happen" by Kevin Liles & Samantha Marshall
2) "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert T. Kiyosaki
3) "Siddharta" by Hermann Hesse
4) "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory" by Michael Miller
5) "Mixing Engineer's Handbook" by Bobby Owsinski

Let me start by saying I'm an aspiring musician/songwriter, so some things I say may not really be of relevance to people who are only concerned with making beats and/or not playing instruments of any kind:

I have The Complete Idiots Guides To: Playing Piano, Music Theory and Music Composition.

The books are OK I guess. I have a few problems with them. The ones I have came with CD's. Those CD's are the gayest thing I've ever heard, like the audio examples are made on that little toy keyboard D Jay traded that crackhead some weed for. I threw them out cause I'd rather play the songs even if I mess up a few times (while learning) than listen to that. What I'm saying is if you can buy the non-Cd book for cheaper, do it.

The books are also IMO needlessly long with the author throwing in a bunch of lame jokes. Guess I just prefer a more straight-forward approach. If you're completely new to piano or music theory, than I suppose them books are good, if not only the last half or so of the books will be useful. As you may have guessed I was unfamiliar with composition and that book is extremely helpful, aside from that CD.

Now I was reading this thread and I have I believe 4 books from this thread that I intend to purchase. In the process of looking up these books and their reviews, I found other books that I'd like to share. I'm sharing these because their reviews on amazon were overwhelmingly 4-5 stars over lots of reviews: The Craft Of Lyric Writing (from reviews this book is supposed to be an absolute must have), The Complete Guide To Digital Audio (not many reviews, just saw it mentioned in here), and The Inner Game Of Music (more geared towards players).

The main reason why I mention the first and last book as I said overwhelming "great" reviews, but also because I am buying all 3 books off of Amazon (used though) for a little over $20, which you can't beat with a stick.

use amazon to find books on your software. i found one on logic express and pro by david nahmani. it crushed the manual.

I bought "How To Get Signed". It's a pretty good book. Teaches you about music a little bit and the best part I liked was the Business aspect of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back