The Reason's reason. A Propellerhead's Reason Thread<

di marcci

Hey! How is thing going? Looking for some DAW to get into? Already have Reason and dont see it as a Power workstation? You really believe that it doesn't work right? Ok.. I'll show you are lost.. Grab this!

For those who might think that Reason isnt ready for you or vice-versa.. At least the 7th version is proper set to give you an ultimate box of tools big enough to cover all the bases of Music Production.
I say 'the 7th version' because it is the one I use now, despite of the 8th version is already up and going.. but I didnt actually see big changes between this two versions..

Ok. I'll quit the jabber.. I just want you to know that my english sucks. Period.

Reason is a complete DAW, a Digital Audio Workstation, capable of anything including Recording, Mixing and Mastering. I can assure you that any genres are well accepted to be produced using Reason.

In advance, I'll tell you the thing most people says that Reason suck at: VST Plug-ins compatibility. OK, if you yet don't know what is it, google it quickly. Assuming you already know what is it...

Reason's platform does not cover VST plug-ins BECAUSE it has its own plug-ins protocol: the Rack Extensions Plug-ins.
Basically, its the same thing about plug-ins, but everything is based on a high end built Propellerhead's platform.
I tell you that, because VST is a protocol made by Steinbergs a wile ago, and since it has been used by any plug-in developer for ANY kind of VST covered DAW, this platform isnt really safe to use.
The VSTs are full of consumers complains, most about performance issues, noises and bad behavior inside the many diferent DAWS that accept it.

This kind of problems does not happens with Reason.

By using the Rack Extension protocol, Reason keep eyes on every built plug-in made. They are several times tested before being released. Actually you can test ANY of the hundreds of plugs available for 30 days free of charging.
This ensure that high quality and fidelity third party software will run safe and sound under Reason's protection.

Don't worry about this non-sense that you already read of Reason: There plenty of plug-ins available for Reason. BUT this is not the point.

The point is - YOU don't actually need third party plug-ins when producing, or mixing, or mastering on Reason.
Reason has its own full hand of POWERFULL tools, that goes from Eq's, Mixing devices, a built-in SSL based Main Mixer, a-lot-of-FX, and more...
Sampling devices, drum machines, Rampaging Synthsizers.. everything you need!

I'll post a lot more about it, if you like this subject, tell me! I'll keep it clean and neat for all of you guys!

See you soon for more info about Reason.

I used 5 and jumped to 8. Reason can use standalone vsts but the process is so complicated I just rewire it in S1 if need be.
Each daw or daws has a an ideal workflow for everyone.

'I can assure you that any genres are well accepted to be produced using Reason.'

What about metal? :D And Glitch'n'Cuts? :D

'See you soon for more info about Reason.'

The world is waiting.

You are right! You can use Reason's Rewire feature to drive audio from or to another audio software. Yeh... It is complicated, because it can cause some trouble until you figure it out.. Ill post some tips about rewiring Reason in another app if you guys want it!

Yes!! Black, Death, Doom, Power, Speed and Trash Metal.. maybe I forgot the hybrids.. but YES! You can do it on the easy way buy choosing Reason.
If you are a good player, but missing some recording technics, or if you are a sample guy more into finding the sweet spots of a record and changing them to your taste, whatever its you vibe, Reason is there for you, and I'm here to show you guys the way!

The Reason to know it: EQ it big!

A different approach today: Let's talk about the things missing on every tutorial you've saw about music producing using *YOUR DAW OF CHOICE*.

You hit PLAY and there it goes.. another music producing tut about PUNCH, LOUDNESS, DRUMS, COMPRESSION or PLUG-INs...
10 minutes and you're done! You know everything about that subject. Maybe you go back to your DAW and try whatever you have just seen.
The thing is you never get it right! Or maybe you get it specifically right, but it doesn't sound cool as desired.
Then you go to another, and another, and 2 more vids about MAKING MUSIC.

Ok.. stop. The thing missing in ALL these tutorials is context. OF COURSE! They don't have it because they don't need it!! Nobody knows what are you trying to do. OK?
The problem is that a lot of times neither you know what the heck is missing!!

Today I'm here for you, to help you making the right musical questions and solving them is the key to achieve that trick you're seeking. I'm not here just for Reason, I'm here for you guys trying to succeed music making(on Reason.. lol)!!

Let's talk about Eq'ing for instance.
Reason has a lot of tools covering this subject. You can grab a parametric eq by MCLASS, or a graphic eq like the BV512. Maybe you want keep it simple with PEQ-2 two band parametric EQ...Or you go for the KONG's inside Eq, or even the SSL Channel EQ..
Your CALL!

It doesn't matter, unless you know WHY do you need EQ'ing for!

For everybody, EQ is just about picking right frequencies and boosting them, then picking the wrong ones and doing the opposite..... YOURE WRONG!
EQ is not about that!! It CAN be at particular cases, but this is not what EQs were made for back in the day.

Equalizers are so called because of their first use as noise reduction tools on the starring telephone projects way before the thing we've met as Telephone back then.
Time has passed away until it became the audio tool we know nowadays. But since they became it, nothing much has changed.
The propper use of EQ in recording sections since it is, is the same: Use it to get a record as the same as it was live played, or EQUAL as the original sound that had to travel among the ambience noises, inside a mic, and cables, amps, console etc...
Eq'ing is about minimizing damage that might be occured on the record section.
Of course there are another applications for this tool, there are serious theory behing equalizing!
When you are searching for Compression tips on "How to get that Punch vol.1", you have to realize that compression maybe doesn't solved it because it wasn't needed. All you needed to do was right EQ'ing stuff!

Let's see how you can apply right this INCREDIBLE powerful yet simple device:

1. Scoping sounds(Creative Equalization) - When you are designing sounds, choosing right timbers, voices, chords, maybe you are at the arrangement section building up the theme, its practical putting on a EQ like MCLASS EQ to reveal the instrument's power. ***FYI: bringing down gain levels of unwanted frequencies is way much better then enhancing the wanted ones.(In music production LESS IS MORE)***

2. Complementary EQ'ing - This tec. is really AWESOME! Let's say you have a kick drum that doesn't sound as fat as you want it! By choosing complement EQ, you have to see where are the power frequencies of the kick, then you move to the other elements that are competing with it(sounding at the same time, at the same lower frequencies i.e. BASS) and turn on the SSL EQ of that channel bringing slightly down that area where the kick is predominant(probably around 50Hz-100Hz). ITS MAGIC what happens! You can use this with every element of your project.

3. Resonance Fishing - You can use an graphic EQ like BV512 on a specific channel to find out where are those annoying resonance freqs that are crashing your mix. Just select the 32 Band type(or the FFT one) and bring up, one by one, the levels of the Frequency Band Level Adjust. After finding the harsh just bring it down until it disappears. Clean the MIX!

Every dynamic processor has its good and bad points. EQs are not different. But I'll cover this in another time.

For now, keep in mind to choose the right questions about your music instead of just peaking obvious but not helpful tutorials on the internet.
Reason is there with all the equipment necessary to perform a state of the art music.

Wait for more, I'll come back.
Have any questions related to this thread, just post it and Ill reply!

Later.

doing those genres in reason would be the same as the other daws through rewire or if there is a standalone version, or audio track recording.

Reason has glitch plugins and there is of course the manual way, but I prefer glitch vsts or the occassional alligator module.

addictive drums and stuff can be used but as said earlier, virtual audio cables is much more complicated than rewire and some methods would require two interfaces

Audio-Editing, the use of trigger samples, multiple monitor-mixes... just examples... all this don't really work within Reason and NOBODY who seriously are in genres that are 'band based' will ever use Reason for this... maybe masochists, but they don't count.

Audio-Editing, the use of trigger samples, multiple monitor-mixes... just examples... all this don't really work within Reason and NOBODY who seriously are in genres that are 'band based' will ever use Reason for this... maybe masochists, but they don't count.

Yeh.. Maybe your off Reason a long time ago because thing have changed. Off course Reason is not the right choice for those looking for an deep audio editing tool, because this is not! And "band based" music.. I can't see how come they are not for Reason. Let's talk more about it, perhaps you're just out of date.

Rewire is necessary for any daw imo, any daw. Even if vsts exist.
Virtual audio cables though need a better explanation to why it works like that but in all, reason is very capable and I looooooove usin it.

The others are just as good but work differently as they should. I like propellerhead's eco system, which is vsts but reason specific.
That I have mixed feelings with, reason only vsts but it is a very good "modular rack device with tons of options"

I think Rewire is an important feature that comes along with Reason, it really covers the blank between Reason and VST-broken-heart ones.. Just kiddin!

The point was that it comes with pretty much all major DAWs these days and doesn't require Reason to work.

Back