The real and final truth about headphones speakers and audio gear....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobchops

The truth about audio production is that, its the biggest swindle in town!

Everybody always wants to blame their tools. Its a lot easier to say that your reason daw sounds bad or your speakers are garbage then you don't know what you are doing.

Many producers will come at you and will say stuff about smooth transitions and knowing music theory. But its not all about that at all.

The first myth is that you can't mix on laptop speakers to get a good sound. The truth is that you can mix down over a skype connection and still get a good sound if you follow these 3 principles of mixing.

The turn up the bass and end up with to much bass is a strawman argument as well. A strawman means someone is fitiously inventing a what if story and poporting it to be true.

The truth is your music probably already is mixed at a professional level and does sound fine anyway.

As a software engineer, I can tell you, all audio equipment sounds the same. There is no real difference between 1 microphone and the next. Or a $20 vst compressor and a $200 one. Its all the same science algorythems behind it.

When you computer program like me, you quickly come to learn that all the fancy software you are using, is really just computer codes and then stuff photo shop PSD files to make the front look nice.

The same is true of speakers.

Right on he main thread about speakers or heaphones, the thread starter you have to use good monitors.

But he overlooks a key point. Mixes that sound good on monitors will sound bad on other speakers. And most people have the other speakers and not monitors.

The real truth is you should only use very small speakers for mixing and cheap headphones.

If you know about how to play the piano good, you will know that you can move up and down the keyboard to seperate the frquency of your song. So you have the chords half way down the piano, the bass at the far left of the keyboard and play the melody at the far right of the keyboard.

That is a kind of mixing you are doing there, you are chopping your songs frequency range into sections.

To many people, want to jump in the DAW and play with the faders because it all looks so cool. The litte pictures on screen.

But when you are like me, and its your job to make software products, I just see things as photo shop files and some computer codes.

I even feel angry using other peoples vst because I should be making my own, but I am to dayum lazy to do it!!

Even the Mpc drum machne is really just computer codes, but instead of having a photoshop file, they made a plastic box to put the codes in.

So just take a logical apporah to your music. 1 thing I recommend is don't read magazines or forums on the internet to gain knowlegde.

The best way is to work things out for yourself.

IF everyone in the magazines or web forums knew what they were talking about they would be famous, not giving advice.

Also we warrry of producers who are better then you, because they might give you phoney information to throw you off track.

I'm sorry, but this is the biggest crock of sheee misinformation and nonsense I've seen in awhile. While I _know_ this is trolling from a known funny-fun, I just need to point out the obvious before someone takes this nonsense seriously. Too much to even begin debunking, but the basic premise is like Jay Leno's old bit-- "Rolls Royce has four rubber tires; so does a Ford Pinto!!"

I'm tempted to close this thread, due to the obvious attempt at baiting and chicanery. But let's see what develops. I'd love to see how our "Russian-Hit-Making-Easy-as-1-2-3-Professional-Software-Engineer-is-the-same-as-a-bona-fide-Audio-Engineer" friend develops his case for computer code in the virtual world being the same as any tube-oriented circuit in the real
world, for instance.

GJ

I'm sorry, but this is the biggest crock of sheee misinformation and nonsense I've seen in awhile. While I _know_ this is trolling from a known funny-fun, I just need to point out the obvious before someone takes this nonsense seriously. Too much to even begin debunking, but the basic premise is like Jay Leno's old bit-- "Rolls Royce has four rubber tires; so does a Ford Pinto!!"

I'm tempted to close this thread, due to the obvious attempt at baiting and chicanery. But let's see what develops. I'd love to see how our "Russian-Hit-Making-Easy-as-1-2-3-Professional-Software-Engineer-is-the-same-as-a-bona-fide-Audio-Engineer" friend develops his case for computer code in the virtual world being the same as any tube-oriented circuit in the real
world, for instance.

GJ

To be honest in a world where Rhianna is considered the greatest singer of all time and people pay to watch Cold Play concerts...

I think the emulations of amps and stuff probably sound good enough.

Those guys who make them, they go into extreme detail!

Remember not all guitar amps sound good! it takes a genius to make an outstanding amplifier. In software there might be a genius who comes up with great sounding emulations.

I don't use distortion or saturation a lot. I am influence by the 80's era where it was all about getting rid of noise and distortion and having nice airy fairy and breathy sounds.

But in reality thriller was recorded on shure sm 59 mic or something.

Basically its all an illusion, people think the gear will make them sound good. But really there are just some people who get amazingly good at sounds.

Like being an athlete. The problem is, everyone expects to make amazing sounding music with no effort what so ever. So they are sold the same repackaged tools over and over again.

Lets face it, every synth ever made pretty much makes the same sounds.

I use to have analog synth and I think they might sound a tiny bit better then soft synth. But in real life, its about how you bring all the different sounds together to make your complete song, if you listen to little details it just means that your gonna get fed up with the song and give up before you ever finish it.

I view making songs like playing a fruit machine. Sure you can practise for years and it will help a bit, but there is a massive amount of luck involved.

All I would say is, write lots of new songs and try lots of different things, don't believe you can have any control over the end result tho... and if you do have control, the end result will probably be sh!t anyway.

Last edited:
To add as well, music is an alive thing, so you are always going to get genius at any time, its weather they are promoted or not.

Years ago, if people were no good they just didn't bother. People use to be embarrased if they were no good at music, they wouldn't play there stuff to people.

Nowadays music is a participation activity. I am a musican for a long time, and I like when I can find a song and listen to it and say wow thats amazing and enjoy it.

Like how most flims are crap but some times there is a good one. To be honest nowadays is the golden age for video games and not music, so many fantastic games being made.

Because I think the reason is, games are all made by men who would be considered socially nerds normally. They are not mr cool or mr beutiful. Now with music and actors its all about being either mr cool or mr beutiful.

So basically its just for women, to buy the shitty songs and get wet in the pussay fantasizing over pretend "badboy".

Thats why I think Donald Trump should make it against the laws for women to be aloud to purchase music, women are naturally wicked because their sex drive draws them towards doing nautgy things with bad boys, like buying awful drake songs on itunes. When you give women freedom they regret it later on. So to protect them from their selfs we should take freedom away.

Tho personally at my time in life, I am not trying to save any "princesses" anymore... I would prefer that I found island to live somewhere, and then in fact all the liberals can live in what ever rainbow feminist utopia they want. As long as I don't have to know anything about it or them really I would be happy!

world, for instance.

GJ

So you don't read Darkreds Posts anymore?

@Bobchops
You should team up with the user Darkred...

Why you gotta do that Mad? There was no call. Now what...

GJ
Why don't you moderate this forum...you know...like a moderator is supposed to do?
After BC left, this entire forum went to trash. These days I only ever pop in to look at the mess and SMH.

Thanks for the help Pumpthrust. Shaking right along with you (you know, at uninformed rudeness).

GJ

Why don't you moderate this forum...you know...like a moderator is supposed to do?
After BC left, this entire forum went to trash. These days I only ever pop in to look at the mess and SMH.

Funny thing is tho, yung punk. The producer you are trying to be, I already am!

I am wasting my valuable time to spread my invaluable wisdom, and all you can do is... "boo hoo hoo, troll boo hoo hoo. I want to be taught to make music by robot not person"...

In life the people who are the best at stuff by default tend to be assholes. Sometimes the only way you can deal with them is by becoming a bigger ******* yourselfs. To be fair tho, you probably picked the wrong hobbie horse. Making beats is about showing people your music and letting them say how absolutly fucking crap you are and you should die. After you been thru that 50 million times you might start to make 1 or 2 good beats. Your trying to hide from the truth. You can't even with stand a forum post. So the idea of you being able to handle many people laughing at how awful you are on an off music day and still be able to come back seems very unlikely.Your always gonna be a hide in shadows producer, who only shows people your music when you are sure of positive response.

As a software engineer, I can tell you, all audio equipment sounds the same. There is no real difference between 1 microphone and the next. Or a $20 vst compressor and a $200 one. Its all the same science algorithms behind it.

This is wrong! There are huge dsp's running these processors and their code is full of math! a 200$ processor is more polished than a 20$ one! otherwise all processors would cost the same! this of course also is true for speakers! some speakers just sound worse as others and microphones as well! their diaphragm needs to be precisely the same size as it's holder and if there is any gab or bump on it it will sound different! (usually objectively worse)

The real truth is you should only use very small speakers for mixing and cheap headphones.

what? you're kidding me right!

IF everyone in the magazines or web forums knew what they were talking about they would be famous, not giving advice.

Also we warrry of producers who are better then you, because they might give you phoney information to throw you off track.

Your trust in the community is not that great... usually famous producers do help you with productions by giving lectures(dancefair) and master classes (deadmau5)

Overall your information is misleading and confusing to the many beginning producers reading this post.

You're respect for the programmers is null and the information you give on this topic is as wrong as it can be! do you really think a plugin interface is just a photoshop file?

as a software engineer you should know better! in C#, the language most VST plugins are written in, interfaces are nearly completely hard coded (the images used to display are not made in photoshop but generated by the code itself)

also judging on the rest of your posts on this topic your entire perception of the music business is wrong! your breakthrough depends on your promotion you get from your label, that's true. but a label will only promote genius musicians.

I think it would be best to stop misleading people...

Yes, software aside, there is _no_ truth whatsoever to the "all mikes and all speakers are the same" nonsense. But I think our OP friend knows that. He is pretending to live under the bridge in the land of Dingley Dell...

GJ

he isn't an engineer cus engineers have respect for code!
When you understand how code works you will see that what I see is the real and final truth! I am actually starting a project soon to make my 1st vst plugin. You got it all wrong. Basically you think software companies go out and program everything by hand and work things out etc. BS it doesn't work like that. Scientists work out all the hard stuff and then everyone else just goes and uses the same pakages that have already been made. The way you think is that the software companies are coming up with new and unique ways to do things. So its like saying the guy who makes a radio starts going out and making all the chips for his circuit board and then goes and makes all the solder as well. Capitalism is when they sell you the same stuff over and over again but repackaged. The magazines and sales men trick you into thinking what you have is broken. I bet you $10 that if you were in a studio with the best outboard gear in the world, I could still make my reason essentials demo sound better. The reason is, I don't have any sacred cow's. Also all the really crazy producers I have seen use basiclallly a daw and stock plugins. The same as everyone else uses. I wish the space bar worked on this reply box! someone needs to fix that!

You are woefully out of your depth in regards to the analog world.

BTW, your tracks sounded good. Just regular-decent-good. Like everybody else...

GJ

I record my vocals on a $20 pevey mic. Sounds great. Basically the differences that having good gear make are tiny. The difference in sound between a dynamic mic and a condenser in reality is not existent. Proof Thiller was produced with sure sm dynamic mic.

If you look at a chart its about what frequency the mic picks up. And what the signal to noise ratio is. It doesn't add magic to your song just because it costs more money and looks nice.

Look I level with you, 6 months from now your all going to be sitting there playing with The final truth synth vst and the final truth compressor vst. Gear sluts will be saying how amazing and magical it all is. In reality the final truth vsts will just be some BS copied and pasted from a book. The only magic will be the nice photoshop file I make in my graphics editor. People will say stuff like "Ohhh it breathes, ooohhh it adds metallic sound to this that blah blah blah". When in reality it will be same compressor code that everyone else who ever made a compressor uses and then modified slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back