Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Real Difference between a Producer, Composer, and Beatmaker!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    elitish bulldung. but it makes the naive sheep happy so i'll let it stay long enough for them to lap it up.

it's comical. you have no idea what a producer is until YOU become one. you DEFINE what it is YOURSELF. i can make a complex theme based track and not write a lick of it down because that's HOW I PRODUCE/COMPOSE/WRITE. say that it's not composition unless it's written is like sayin jay-z isnt a songwriter because he aint write it down. the midi is my paper just as well as the studer is jay-z's paper. an A&R does the same thing that a producer does by your description. the work is cross-bred and that's why simpletons will forever search for the meaning to define themselves or give themselves a misrepresented goal of realization. it's POINTLESS. lil jon made a beat and petey pablo liked it and made a song to it, the song sells off lil jon's BRAND NAME and thus even though petey essentially "produced that from a beat to a song" it is "produced by lil jon" because it's a SHREWD business move. production, marketing, law, composition, writing, singing are all variable terms of description that you appoint to yourself upon the luxury of affirming your OWN definition. dont try to explain it to anyone because you are more clueless now than before you read the articles. let everyone learn for themselves before indoctrinating them with foolishness. no hard feelings lanstarr.

-traxx-

Thanks
    i don't give a fuuuuu... what a magazine says,nobody dictates whas what to me...there might be certain criteria's to be met but i can't play not one instrument and i make beats every otherday and produce everyday....what if it said anybody reading this magazine (insert name of mag.) obviously don't kno what they're doing,would you agree?
    [url=http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/getstonetonemusic.htm]*******ENTER 360 HERE*******[/url]

Thanks
    Originally posted by j-traxx
    say that it's not composition unless it's written is like sayin jay-z isnt a songwriter because he aint write it down. the midi is my paper just as well as the studer is jay-z's paper.
    That was a good way of puttin it. Especially "the midi is my paper"
    I dont read long posts....

Please Check Out The Links!
    my sound click page
    mikey cat sound click page

Thanks
    I agree w/ J-Traxx and you can call yourself whatever the f*ck you like but when ever you finally reach that level you'll now what you are its like w/ kids they swear up in down i'm grown or i'm a man you can say that sh*t all day but when you make the real transition then its no longer a spoken thing its with in you ....welcome young jedi

Thanks
    I neither agree nor disagree with all of this, however my question is:
    Why the fu*k would you lot care about this nonsense anyway?
    What does it matter? We all make music, thats what matters. I write music. So I'm a composer. Occasionally, I use samples. Oh, so I'm a beatmaker then? Or am I a composing beatmaker? Or maybe a beatmaking composer?
    Oh but hold on, I also record and produce an acoustic act in my studio, so as a matter of fact I'm a beatmaking production composer. And, indeed, I also run my own little label so my full title would be a Beatmaking Production Composer CEO.
    What a load of toss. You lot should get back to making music, I sense..

Thanks
    first of all, I agree completely with the ideas & concepts illustrated in the original definition posted, I don't agree with all the wording, but I think he hit the idea right on the head

& I know Quincy Jones plays the trumpet, that was the first thing he did, play in bands, but he is a musician, composer, producer, he obviously has knowledge of musical theory just going by the scores he's done
    & Clive Davis is not a producer, he's an executive producer, but not a producer (I know that's not correct wording if you want to get technical, but you know what I'm saying) Clive Davis doesn't really put the songs together, atleast not with his hip-hop & R&B projects, he puts albums togehter, he just guides the process

Thanks
    Originally posted by j-traxx
    lil jon made a beat and petey pablo liked it and made a song to it, the song sells off lil jon's BRAND NAME and thus even though petey essentially "produced that from a beat to a song" it is "produced by lil jon" because it's a SHREWD business move.
    -traxx-
    The credits should say "All instruments by L'il Jon" Produced by "Petey Pablo or whoever". People don't credit the Funk Brothers as producers for Motown's hits, yet they created all the music for over a decade. The same should be true for Trackmasters, Neptunes or whoever if all they do is send the beat cross country to the artist. They should be listed as musicians and not producer. But hip hop has changed the definition of the term somewhat. I don't know if it's loosely used elsewhere around the world but if I was to get Sly & Robbie to do a beat for me, they would be listed as musicians/songwriters and not producer and they'd have no problem with that if they didn't actually contribute to the overseeing of the entire project.

Thanks
    Originally posted by mistaox

Can someone find out how many "real" instruments Clive Davis and Quincy Jones Play...that should be interesting..
    i found a lifetime achievement link for Mr. Quincy Jones and clive barker.... it is very interesting reading

http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/jon0bio-1

http://www.songwritershalloffame.org...ecipientId=133
    Last edited by FiLtHy crOOk; 02-14-2005 at 07:56 AM.
    [url=http://www.discfunktional.com/demopage.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/bone_collector/shine.gif[/IMG][/url]
    [color=yellow][b]Click Sig to Hear Filthy Crook Beats[/color][/b]

[img]http://www.novahq.net/forum/images/smilies/finger.gif[/img][b][color=yellow] The N!GG@ ya love ta hate[/b][/color][img]http://www.novahq.net/forum/images/smilies/finger.gif[/img]

Thanks
    Originally posted by FiLtHy crOOk

i found a lifetime achievement link for Mr. Quincy Jones and clive barker.... it is very interesting reading

http://www.achievement.org/autodoc/page/jon0bio-1

http://www.songwritershalloffame.org...ecipientId=133
    nice find...still proves my point...you dont have to play "many" instruments to bea a good composer/Musical director/producer..
    "I'M Down + Right + Fierce, like a Hadouken."-WarBux

Thanks
    1) No one said you have to play many instruments to be a producer. Everyone is taking that part way out of context. That section was a list of quality that helps make a producer better. Any added musical knowledge will give a producer an advantage. Even none musical things that can apply to music (e.g. physics) can give a producer an advantage. How can you argue that gained knowledge is not advantageous? Again, you don't have to play many instruments to be a producer, these were just a list of the most common qualities that can help a music producer to become better or to tell someone looking for a producer what sort of qualities to look for.

2) Like someone said above, Clive isn't really a music producer, he is an executive producer. There is a difference. He is involved with the business aspects and decision making more and not the creation of the actual song. A music producer is involved more with the creation process involved with making a song. Remember though, the jobs people do cross many times, just like in any business. A techie may do some coffee getting for his/her boss just as a secretary may fix a paper jam in a printer. Sometimes an executive producer may do some of the jobs a music producer does may do some of the jobs a songwriter does etc and vise versa.

3) Hip Hop has distorted the meaning of what a producer is. When you bring this discussion to the table of people involved in many other genres, you don't get the same backlash. And like someone else said, back before hip hop when songwriter and musicians made the underlying music for singers, they were not called the producer of the track. They were given credits for writing or composing the song. In hip hop, the producer also makes the beat a lot of the time, so people started to confuse the titles. I was just attempting to clarify that. I figured I would get a lot of backlash from many people. But as I said in my original post, don't argue with it just because you may not fall in the category you desire to be in. This was just meant to be a reference, copy and pasted (some parts) and paraphrased from other publications for validity. This is not solely my opinion.

4) Also, as someone else said, these are just titles, who cares? I agree with that statement. In my original post I did say to continue to do what you do. But you can't argue with a definition. An apple is an apple. How can you argue that no, an apple is an orange? Maybe you don't care whether it is an apple or an orange, you just care that it is a fruit. That is fine. But that doesn't change the fact that it is an apple. If I am a CFO of a business, I may do some of the things a CEO does and the CEO may do many of my jobs. Does that make me a CEO? No. Does it matter, as long as the job gets done? No. After all, it is just a title.

I was just [attempting to] clarify things for some of the younger people who make beats and all of a sudden call themselves producers and CEOís of fictional record labels. I did the same thing when I was younger. Itís fun to play pretend when you are a kid. But sometimes people start to think the pretend is reality and confuse the difference.

I didnít mean to ruffle anyoneís feathers. Continue to do what you do. Keep banging out them beats and trying to improve your game. I know thatís what I am trying to do.

Peace
    Last edited by LANSTARR.COM; 02-14-2005 at 02:36 PM.
    Personal Site: LANSTARR.COM
    STARRSYNTH, ELEPHO, and STELLAPHEX VST

Tutorial: Making your Basslines Thump

Thread Information