Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Real Difference between a Producer, Composer, and Beatmaker!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    You should add CEO to the list !!!

It drives me nuts when I see bedroom musicians (and I use this term loosely) call themselves CEO .

Poor misguided youth

Thanks
    Originally posted by KomplexBeats
    i think this is the usual opinion crap that always turns into a flamewar...
    Only thing is all info was taken from national and international publications e.g. the producer qualities section with the part about plays multiple instruments... thats copy/pasted straight from electronic musicians mag. I think I trust their crap opinions, being that tey have 4 million subscribers and writers who have been in the music industry for 35 years. And this is an ELECTRONIC musician that is saying, NO just electronics dont cut it, you need to know multiple real instruments - thats a good trait for a producer. Hmmm that should tell you something.
    Personal Site: LANSTARR.COM
    STARRSYNTH, ELEPHO, and STELLAPHEX VST

Tutorial: Making your Basslines Thump

Thanks
    ^ you have a point, and I like the breakdown we got here... the only thing I dissagree with is the "playing alot of instruments" , althought I do, I dissagree with that comment, because it is solely on what one has an interest in doing. I KNOW how to play alot of instruments but only play a few..

or there are some who KNOWs how to play some or don't know at all.

but they can produce music..
    [url]http://nick-city.blogspot.com[/url]

Thanks
    I dont care how many elitist snobs subscribe to that magazine...

Can someone find out how many "real" instruments Clive Davis and Quincy Jones Play...that should be interesting..
    Last edited by mistaox; 02-13-2005 at 01:22 PM.
    "I'M Down + Right + Fierce, like a Hadouken."-WarBux

Thanks

Thanks
    Originally posted by CubaseRox

Yes if you just make a 'beat' you shouldn't label yourself as a 'producer'. But the modern meaning of it is one who creates a beat for artist X. Then artist X uses that beat on his album and in the credits it would say "Track X produced by (your name)". Even though you didnt see any overview of the tracking, mixing and/or the arrangement, you still would be touted as the producer of that track.

I agree with Lanstarr's listing, and I also agree with this comment that CubaseRox mentioned.. it has become obsolete, because there are more and more "producers" from what it seems becoming known on rap/hiphop projects. I do agree that a PRODUCER is the complete overseer of all of the project's PRODUCTION, hence the word PRODUCER. He may or may not play multiple instruments, but he DOES require to know a good deal of music, and would be the mastermind of ensuring that the vocals are quality, the delivery is on point, the beat/music piece is a piece that fits the artist well, timed well with the artist, etc.

I definitely consider myself a beatmaker before producer.. although I have worked with some artists that are trying to make it, I still don't qualify myself as PRODUCER, but yet, on the projects I'm working with, I did help with input and feedback on the overall tracks from the artists with whom I am supplying the beat.. so, if it were to be that they do sell an album or albums and my beats are used, they would probably credit me with "produced by.." on the sleeve of the album, since the other person they are working with is an engineer to mix down the entire track.. he would more than likely get "engineered by -masta x- of NYC Studios" or something like that.. in a scenario such as that one, what would be more appropriate to list who the producer was? I provided the beat and thoughts on the tracks I've heard, and the engineer mainly ENGINEERED and mixed down the vocals onto the beat to master it, and the artists wrote their own tracks, so who gets producer credits in that scenario in your eye? Or would the sleeve say "Beat provided by.."? Or would my name simply not go on the album sleeve at all and would the engineer get the "produced by.." credit even though he didn't make the beat? Just wondering on scenarios like that because they do exist out there.

At any rate, like Lanstarr said, just do you, however you're labeled.. if you good, and persistent, you'll achieve what you want to be.. simple as that. Peace.

Genycis
    www.genycis.com
    www.soundclick.com/genycis
    Hip Hop Beats at Genycis.com
    Sound Samples for FL Studio, Reason, Etc at SoundsForBeats.com

Thanks

Thanks
    Originally posted by Decisive
    ^ you have a point, and I like the breakdown we got here... the only thing I dissagree with is the "playing alot of instruments" , althought I do, I dissagree with that comment, because it is solely on what one has an interest in doing. I KNOW how to play alot of instruments but only play a few..

or there are some who KNOWs how to play some or don't know at all.

but they can produce music..
    They are just saying that is a trait that makes a producer better. How can you disagree with the fact that any extra musical knowlege can make you better? Knowing multipile instruments wont help you be a better producer?
    Personal Site: LANSTARR.COM
    STARRSYNTH, ELEPHO, and STELLAPHEX VST

Tutorial: Making your Basslines Thump

Thanks
    I dont disagree with all that I'm just saying at the end of the day their is no set requirements for being a producer/composer/arranger.

You know how many conductors can't play any instruments aside from the piano yet they write for whole orchestras? If you have an understanding of music and how an instrument works you can write for it.

I write midi guitar tracks all the time even though I can't play very well. Then I have a live player record them. Because I know how it works. There's nothing that says you have to play a certain instrument to understand how it functions or how to write for it.

Thanks
    this is ridiculous. why ask? who cares? that first post is so dripping with elitest bullsh1t.... with all the 'rules' and sh1t. makes me laugh to see people think that way. like you must 'have an ear for...'. so what, someones like 'i have an ear' and someone else goes 'no you dont! follow the rules!' --yea, thats how art works .....sure.

the only reason someone would care was if they consider themselves in one catagory, and are shatty cuz they see others in that catagory who they feel are undeserving of the title. OR you know you arent in a certain catagory and you want to be.

and either way you are a sucker, and you dont know sh1t about art.

get your posts up mufukkas.

peace.

Thread Information