Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Difference between a Producer, Composer, and Beatmaker!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

The Real Difference between a Producer, Composer, and Beatmaker!!!!!!!!!

Sign in to disable this ad
    Itís time to end the constant debate over what is a producer vs. a beat maker vs. a composer. Here is the real answer, not what you think but the facts. Mods should sticky this. Everyone should print this out and hang it up on your wall to help you stay on track to realizing your goal of becoming a good producer. BTW, this is paraphrased for the most part from a number of publications. So don't disagree with this just because you may not fall under the definition. Just do what you do. If you wanna work on becoming a composer or a producer, follow the right steps to becoming one.

Beat Maker:

This is what most of us in here are solely. A beat maker is a person who takes a number of samples (one-shot sound e.g. a single instrument note, drums, etc.), loops (e.g. sampled from a record, or loops in commercial/noncommercial libraries), or instrument emulations in keyboards, sound modules, synthesizer, and software instruments and uses them to make sequences. A beat maker strings together a number of these sequences (short phrases or pattern) into a complete instrumental.

Composer:

Simply put, a composer is a person who writes music (keyword: writes!!!). Many composers now use computers and other hardware to assist with composing music. But stringing together samples, loops, and sequences on a computer or sequencer does not qualify you as composer. A composer can also be a lyricist, songwriter and/or producer, however many composer are not lyricist and most do not produce at all.

Since composer write music for a number of instruments, they need to have a deep understanding of the instruments they are creating music for. This is why a composer is also a musician, sometimes capable of playing several instruments to professional standards. So composers are always musicians, but being a musician does not make you a composer.

Songwriters and composers share some similarities, both may write music and words to create a composition for the listenerís pleasure, but most composers (although not all) obtain music qualifications and concentrate on the musical aspect rather than word creation. They are also capable of producing long intricate scores based on a theme, whereas a songwriter may have no written qualifications and mainly concentrates on short tracks. So the key difference between a composer and songwriter is the composer focuses on the music more than words and usually writes long or complex scores based on a theme, while the songwriter focuses more on the words than the music and is usually making a short song, not long complex music.

Producer:

The Producers job is to help you get the recording that you want to make. A lot of times music producer is also a competent arranger, composer or songwriter who can bring fresh ideas to your tracks. This is especially true in hip hop, where the producer is usually also the person who made the beat or instrumental. But just making beats does not make you a producer or a composer. So in hip hop, a lot of the times the producer also is the beat maker or the composer, but many of the bigger name producers simply hire composers, arrangers, and songwriters to put together a song. In other genres of music, the producer is almost always a separate entity from the person who wrote the song and composed the music. This is especially true in rock bands, where the artist write and compose the song and outside producers come in to help make the track sound a certain way or to improve it.

As well as making any songwriting and arrangement adjustments, the producer is also in charge of the creative mix. He or she will collaborate with the sound engineer who concentrates on the technical aspects of recording. The music producer keeps an eye on the overall projects marketability. A lot of times, sound engineers end up becoming producers also.

Encouraging the best musical performance, coaching the artist and directing the backing vocalists are just a few of the mixture of functions that a music producer is expected to perform. They act as a go-between, translating your needs into the technicianís point of view and protect the artist and record labels interests.

PRODUCER QUALITIES
    (print this and work on becoming as close to this as possible)

Advanced Musicianship
    - Has spent a lot of time writing and collaborating on song
    - Plays a lot of instruments
    - Has a feel for song structure
    - Has a feel for placing the song in the right key
    - Has a feel for establishing the optimum bpm and achieving tight timing
    - Understands vocal technique and vocal issues

Plays Well with Others
    - Gets along well with technical types
    - Gets along well with artistic types
    - Is able to step into artists' dreams
    - Is someone people like being around
    - Upbeat and positive
    - Can deal with sensitive artist egos
    - Knows when to fight and when to surrender

Organizational Skills
    - Has a plan for each session
    - Works methodically toward the finish line
    - Schedules on-call studio musicians
    - Demonstrates ability to work within budgets

Knowledgeable
    - Knows gear, computers, and software
    - Understands digital and analog issues
    - Familiar with mixing and mastering

Relentless
    - Has a burning desire to create great recordings
    - Doesn't get discouraged if things aren't going well at a particular session
    - Flexible, not afraid to try new things if something's not working
    - Unfazed by technical difficulties

Intuitive
    - Able to visualize finished product
    - Knows when an artist has a better take in them and when to move on
    - Knows if it's worth it to suggest going over budget
    - Has conviction in decision making without being dictatorial
    - Knows when the song is done

Brought to you by Red Star Network
    Last edited by LANSTARR.COM; 02-13-2005 at 09:43 AM.
    Personal Site: LANSTARR.COM
    STARRSYNTH, ELEPHO, and STELLAPHEX VST

Tutorial: Making your Basslines Thump

Thanks
    Who cares. They are all labels. We are all CREATORS in our own right.

Thanks
    I'm a beatmaker?

But I want to be a producer!
    Last edited by Shorty Duop; 02-13-2005 at 09:56 AM.
    Shorty Duop:
    10 Letters You Deal Wit

The Beggining Of A Legacy

Thanks
    yes we are all creators but there are too many beatmakers callin them selves a producer. just cuz you have beats for sale on a soundclick page doesnt make you a producer. when you have established relationships with your artists, you work with them, you help them, you make a hot ass beat, you make sure that the mixing and mastering of the song gets done, you get everything perfect, and come out with a hot finished product. then you can say you have produced a song. and even then, you still arent a producer. one produced song wont make a livin or a career. so you have to produce songs (with and s). not just one but multiple. that is the point that lanstarr is getting across. so, yes we are all creators but everyone plays a different part in the creation and most people dont know their place. so lannstarr enlightened us. holla.

Thanks
    I agree with LANSTARR.COM on what he wrote. But the word 'producer' has evolved a bit and unfortunately that meaning he posted has become slightly obsolete.

Yes if you just make a 'beat' you shouldn't label yourself as a 'producer'. But the modern meaning of it is one who creates a beat for artist X. Then artist X uses that beat on his album and in the credits it would say "Track X produced by (your name)". Even though you didnt see any overview of the tracking, mixing and/or the arrangement, you still would be touted as the producer of that track.

I dont neccessarily agree with that as I know a producer is one who oversees the whole project and is not just responsible for creating a beat. The title 'producer' has become over-used and in the worng way at that.

One more thing, saying "I am a producer" does sounds much better than saying "I am a beatmaker". And people who play the drums shouldnt call themselves "a drummer" either but a 'beat maker'.
    Last edited by CubaseRox; 02-13-2005 at 10:28 AM.
    I dont read long posts....

Please Check Out The Links!
    my sound click page
    mikey cat sound click page

Thanks
    damn this shyt is gettin ridiculous....i make beats AND i produce,so i'm not gonna just paint myself into one corner....but who are you to be dictator? who cares what a person labels themself,just do you

and to say you have to "produce" more than one song to be a "producer"...where the fukk are you gettin ur info?...how many unknown "producers" are out there right now,w/ an artist full of material waitin for that break,are you tellin me that he/she ain't a producer cuz nobody kno's him,remember he doesn't even have one song as far the public knows,is he/she not a "producer".....wow
    Last edited by StoneTone; 02-13-2005 at 11:10 AM.
    [url=http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/getstonetonemusic.htm]*******ENTER 360 HERE*******[/url]

Thanks
    I put it like this. Everyone can't be producers but at the same time all producers aren't as good as some beatmakers at purely making beats. Like I can't stand him but Rapist Kelly is a producer, composer, and arranger all in one which is very rare these days. My favorite Dr. Dre is a producer but he has other people compose certain pieces of his music to give it that better sound. I am a producer but i happen to know how to make beats. The reason i'm a producer is because I know how to put song together, voice coach, and totally arrange the whole session. I'm not bragging but when i'm at home I live and breath music. So I say be whatcha wanna be and be the best.

Thanks
    Originally posted by LANSTARR.COM

- Plays a lot of instruments

This is the only thing i disagree with...

you dont have to know how to play many instruments..you just have to know how they work together...you can gain that simply by listening to music..
    "I'M Down + Right + Fierce, like a Hadouken."-WarBux

Thanks
    i think this is the usual opinion crap that always turns into a flamewar...

Thanks

Thread Information