Question for those who have taken Music Production courses

1. A wide range of knowledge of how sound works, how to create it, and how to control it.
2. No problems. They were on Coursera.

Waste of time and money. I went in with more equipment in our spare room at home, than three production suites together at the university.

We (students) collectively on more than a few occasions, lectured the lecturer. The problem was the lack of interaction of DAWS. Think it was Logic at the time. He would fumble around for ages to get basic things done. Was exhausting to watch.

I gained nothing to great detail majoring in Music Technology, but having made a lifetime friend.

Save your time, but invest in gear you can afford. Read magazines in the field and watch stuff on youtube. Done.

Or you could just sign up for the next Introduction to Music Production course at Coursera. They repeat the courses every few months.

Other good courses there of interest to musicians:

Fundamentals of Music Theory
Developing Your Musicianship
Songwriting
Introduction to Digital Sound Design
Survey of Music Technology
Introduction to Ableton Live

You learn by watching videos on your own (or with others if you want) and do the coursework, which differs with each course. For example, in the Music Production course you create tutorials (video, PDF, document) detailing how to use various plugins; in the Ableton Live course you work on and submit an original piece of music made with Live. You can also (and I recommend it) take part in the forum discussions, and that's often where you learn more than the professor is teaching.

Oh, did I mention that they're free if you don't need or want a certificate?

Last edited:
Waste of time and money. I went in with more equipment in our spare room at home, than three production suites together at the university.

We (students) collectively on more than a few occasions, lectured the lecturer. The problem was the lack of interaction of DAWS. Think it was Logic at the time. He would fumble around for ages to get basic things done. Was exhausting to watch.

I gained nothing to great detail majoring in Music Technology, but having made a lifetime friend.

Save your time, but invest in gear you can afford. Read magazines in the field and watch stuff on youtube. Done.

Thanks for your response. What are your thoughts on online courses?

Or you could just sign up for the next Introduction to Music Production course at Coursera. They repeat the courses every few months.

Other good courses there of interest to musicians:

Fundamentals of Music Theory
Developing Your Musicianship
Songwriting
Introduction to Digital Sound Design
Survey of Music Technology
Introduction to Ableton Live

You learn by watching videos on your own (or with others if you want) and do the coursework, which differs with each course. For example, in the Music Production course you create tutorials (video, PDF, document) detailing how to use various plugins; in the Ableton Live course you work on and submit an original piece of music made with Live. You can also (and I recommend it) take part in the forum discussions, and that's often where you learn more than the professor is teaching.

Oh, did I mention that they're free if you don't need or want a certificate?

Looks good...Thanks man.

Yeah, in a way it's a waste of time. I've been doing this for such a long time but I think I've learned more from my DAW's help manual & online articles/tutorials than I ever did in the 3 years I studied.

It all depends if you like socializing and working together with people. I don't, but it was a good opportunity to meet new people. I was ahead of my whole class in production, hardly anything new to me.

Apart from production, music theory was pretty neat. It allowed me to ask questions and get immediate answers to whatever I didn't know.

My degree was in English Literature- worthless in the job market (transferable skill set notwithstanding) but what it did give me was an opportunity to read books for 3 years like it was my job to read books for 3 years.
I read a lot of books... It was brilliant!

Doing a degree in Music Technology should in theory give you an opportunity to make music like it's your full time job. For 3 years.
That is something I'd jump on personally.
If I could get a second set of student loans (I can't as I took them already) I'd definitely (quit my job and) do a second undergrad degree in Music Tech.

Last edited:
Back