Question for producers (any level)

WillDarling

Will Darling @EDMtips.com
Hey guys and gals,

I know this is a random question, but what's the one thing you find hardest about making electronic music (e.g. getting to grips with your DAW / arrangement / how to mix a song / how to master, etc.)?

For me, it's coming up with original ideas.

Thanks!
Will

For me it's finding ways to turn my ideas into songs. For example, I will produce a good drop and intro, but the problem is trying to figure out what to put everywhere else in the song, how to automate, what background sounds to incorporate, etc.

For me it's finding ways to turn my ideas into songs. For example, I will produce a good drop and intro, but the problem is trying to figure out what to put everywhere else in the song, how to automate, what background sounds to incorporate, etc.

Same with me, man. It's very frustrating!

What do you think is the sticking point? Have you tried any tactics / tutorials that haven't worked?

i think making catchy melodies and variation is the hardest part. i tend to make kind of different sounding music that isn't very ... understood i guess. Having said that, I guess maybe conforming to popular sounds is something i suck at but screw it lol

I find it hard to come up with new and good song structures.
and choosing what instruments to play

^ This. I agree.

Am I the only one around here or is it very hard to decide what samples to be 'included' in your track? Sometimes I got so confused just to think about importing the right samples for the track. lol.

I consider it part of it! it's all one process if you make music for other people to listen to!

I found thinking about anything in terms of production can be counter productive for me at least in the sense that once I have an idea I'll usually stick to it and vari a little, but initially I was full of questions worry and fear. Questions running around my head like, "is this good or is that good? "do I sound like x or y, how do I do this or that, really really hindered me. What I find now is that the only thing I keep doing now but not nearly as much, as its already been pointed out "learnin to leave stuff alone" and or learning to ditch sounds/ideas/techniques that are not working.

I spent hrs forcing issuses like this, was it pride, arrogance or inexperience? I'd say a little of all really. But I dont do that now as much, maybe a few mins and then its like "ok drop that its not working"

It's taken me about 10 years on and off to learn my DAW fully, 10 years is a looooong time. But I never quit and never updated it past a certain version. When I started out first I said to myself, This is a journey that will take some time and has it, but the rewards are unreal. Something people often say Practice practice practice and well they are right. You'll find that the more you do....the more you learn, the more confidence you get, then your able to do the things or the ideas you have about your tracks because you have that confidence to go forward and know pricesily what it is your outcome is to be. Look at my Signature under this post, Take the advice and you soar!

Good luck man.

Great in-depth answer....thank you!

I think the pride/arrogance question is probably largely the sunk cost fallacy; convincing ourselves something is worth pursuing just because we've spent loads of time or money on it.

Will @EDMtips.com

I recently wrote a post on my blog specifically covering mixing: 30 Mixdown Tips & Techniques for Instantly Improving Your Electronic Dance Music - EDMtips. Hope this helps! :)

Cool article but I disagree with point 5 and 19! here is why!

5: EQ boosting is the same as cutting and rearranging the levels. The only difference is that when boosting you have to bring down the levels on the channel fader and when cutting you have to bring them up! Therefor it's wrong to say someone has to cut only! they just need to remember to gain stage (probably the most important trick of them all and you left it out :))

9: A reckless statement to make... Try highpassing a saw playing at 110hz at 30hz. You would not expect anything to happen cus there is no bass under 110hz, right? NO! you will actually lose a few dBs of headroom! i would add that this trick only works if you check with a spectrum analyzer if there is actually something to cut away! don't highpass just because there might be some bass, check if there is some muddy bass and then highpass!

If you don't believe the saw trick check my YT channel this Friday I will make a video about it! it's actually true!

BRHSM

My biggest issue is actually getting a track finished...but besides that adding variations and mixing/mastering is where I struggle

Back