Question about Tempo level in FL Studio?

nom de guerre

OK so when im working in my step sequencer, I can only have one tempo level for all my patterns. Ex: if im working on a beat in pattern 1 and I want a certain tempo for that pattern. Then I switch into pattern 2 and want to begin working on a beat with a faster tempo I can't change the tempo from pattern 2 without it affecting the tempo of pattern 1. I have subsituted this problem by just creating my faster tempo beat into a whole nother project and loading it into my original as a sample. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Last edited:
You can't change the tempo of individual patterns, it just doesn't work that way. I don't think you can do that in any DAWs, it just doesn't make sense.

You can't change the tempo of individual patterns, it just doesn't work that way. I don't think you can do that in any DAWs, it just doesn't make sense.

Why not though? I usually incoparate switch up's or bridges into my beat, so why would a DAW only allow me to use 1 tempo when creating a project?

Technically, you definitely can change the tempo on individual patterns. Select a pattern, right click the tempo, go to "Edit Events", and there you go - it only applies to that pattern. But you're right: it simply doesn't work that way overall in the track. If your patterns all have different tempos, everything will be off-beat in some way and will make a cluster**** of off-time sounds. Trust me, I've tried it and done it before (for experimental reasons, of course! ;))

Entire tracks tend to follow 1 tempo. You can't simply alter it per pattern and still have it work unless you're doing double or half-time (i.e. 80bpm = 160bpm in double-time, or 40bpm in half-time).

However, you can use automation clips to alter the overall track tempo. Learn a little about automation clips and apply an automation clip to the tempo if you want.. but I'm warning you, be careful...

Last edited:
You can change tempo's at certain parts of the track in Pro Tools.. that's the only DAW I know of that gives you free reign with tempo changes.

Entire tracks tend to follow 1 tempo. You can't simply alter it per pattern and still have it work unless you're doing double or half-time (i.e. 80bpm = 160bpm in double-time, or 40bpm in half-time).

This is not entirely true. Some genres of music are based solely on changing rhythms, tempo and time signatures throughout one song. I don't think FL is great at doing this but it can be done to a certain extent.

different tempo in channels is not possible in FL studio (this is possible in renoise) but you can automate the tempo to change the tempo in your song on specific moments, you can do this in almost every daw.

Here is the work around. Right click on the course temp wndow and either link to controller and choose a controller that has a knob. That will allow you to change the tempo. Or, you right click the tempo window and create automation clip. Then in the playlist window you drop in your patterns in the sequences you wish to run. You will see the automation clip that allows you to add points and make changes. Drag to expand that over the length of your song sequence. Now you can begin to draw and modify the tempo clip. They can be abrupt or smooth or slow or fast. Go register on FLS site so you can watch all of th training videos on how to do this. Once you have done it a couple of times it will be a breeze. Now select the song mode and play.

different tempo in channels is not possible in FL studio (this is possible in renoise) but you can automate the tempo to change the tempo in your song on specific moments, you can do this in almost every daw.

Did you read the thread?

Technically, you definitely can change the tempo on individual patterns. Select a pattern, right click the tempo, go to "Edit Events", and there you go - it only applies to that pattern.

Here is the work around. Right click on the course temp wndow and either link to controller and choose a controller that has a knob. That will allow you to change the tempo. Or, you right click the tempo window and create automation clip. Then in the playlist window you drop in your patterns in the sequences you wish to run. You will see the automation clip that allows you to add points and make changes. Drag to expand that over the length of your song sequence. Now you can begin to draw and modify the tempo clip. They can be abrupt or smooth or slow or fast. Go register on FLS site so you can watch all of th training videos on how to do this. Once you have done it a couple of times it will be a breeze. Now select the song mode and play.

this is the best way to do this

Did you read the thread?

Swiftly, I completely forgot about edit events though! For some reason I always preferred automation clips and never realized that doing it this way you could do it to the actual pattern, so what if you have 2 patterns running in your playlist with different tempo's? Something is missing or I might be completely misunderstanding the OP!

You can automate tempo in FL Studio. Go to YouTube or Google and type in tempo automation.

you can do that in fruit loops there is a tempo map tool. . i did a intro for a fast rapped that every 4 bars its sped up fruit does do it

Back