Question about Studio Monitors

B

bboydru

i understand that studio monitors are ideal over home stereo systems because home stereo systems tend to "color" the sound output as the developers of the stereo want to give you "quality" sound. So therefore, you shouldn't use them as monitors because you won't know the true output and your music will end up sounding significantly different in other sound systems.

my question is, even if you EQ your sound system to be "flat" and turn off features like "bass boost" and other things like that, why can't they serve as studio monitors? what other factors keep it from outputting a "true" neutral sound? and if you can briefly explain those factors. thanx yall.

oh yeh i read that before, thanx. i was just wondering even when you try to neutralize everything in your home steroe, what innate things about it can still affect the sound? is there something about home stereo drivers, etc? stuff like that.

the speakers themselves are colored not the input to them. u can turn off eq and bass max ect but the speaker will still have its sound. stop being cheap and buy monitors there are no short cuts

Xabiton said:
the speakers themselves are colored not the input to them. u can turn off eq and bass max ect but the speaker will still have its sound. stop being cheap and buy monitors there are no short cuts

whatever happened to working your way up?

bboydru said:

Yeah, he's being a little rough. But he's right. If you want to get serious about it...you need right equipment.

freshpow said:

Yeah, he's being a little rough. But he's right. If you want to get serious about it...you need right equipment.

well most def about that man. we all want the best equipment don't we? but we can't have everything right away. but someday...

ha i remember when i first got my pair of wharfedales, i couldnt believe my ears it was like i was listening to music that sounded with a quality and crispiness and clarity that came from heaven, lol i remember that i rushed upstairs and i plugged one in and couldnt wait to listen to them and i didnt plug the other one in.

I thought that i was gonna be able to mix in my desktop speakers (lol and lol again) cause i thought that i was the ish basicly, its amazing in how much ive learn about recording in only 1 yr, now i really feel like im the ish, but then so did i back then , what will be next?... lol

But yeh go cop a pair of monitors man, believe me on that.

bboydru said:

there is no workin ur way up when it comes to basic needs. cats talk about monitors like its an option like what sequencer u use. a midi controller, monitors and a soundcard should be the first things u buy. worry about ur other stuff later. no sense buyin something and u cant make something decent out of it unless u just are figuring out the program or hardware or soemthing.

Xabiton said:
there is no workin ur way up when it comes to basic needs. cats talk about monitors like its an option like what sequencer u use. a midi controller, monitors and a soundcard should be the first things u buy. worry about ur other stuff later. no sense buyin something and u cant make something decent out of it unless u just are figuring out the program or hardware or soemthing.

that's true, but the thing about investments is that you need money to invest in the first place. and to start off you're gonna need to invest in several things at a time. i don't have sufficient funds for a good pair of monitors yet. and right now, a better soundcard has a higher priority i would think. because even with monitors, what good is your work if you can track it with the best quality?

bboydru said:

that's true, but the thing about investments is that you need money to invest in the first place. and to start off you're gonna need to invest in several things at a time. i don't have sufficient funds for a good pair of monitors yet. and right now, a better soundcard has a higher priority i would think. because even with monitors, what good is your work if you can track it with the best quality?
id say soundcard and monitors are equally important. kuz like u said whats the point in trackin out bad quality but at the same time whats the point in havin cleaned up mashed together quality. even if u dont do a full mix u gotta have some sort of mix to it even if ur mix is just evening out levels. monitors are a must as wellas a soundcard even if its cheap monitors its better than no monitors. look into the truths are a temporary fix then sell them and upgrade.

Back