Question about sending beats online

SixxiS

Okay so I made a beat and this rapper said he wants it (for free), now he says he wants the stems. Should I send him or should I wait for some kind of documented agreement from him

no agreement no send - he is getting it for free so first things first

- copyright your beat so that the rapper can't claim they created it
- notify them of the copyright claim
- write a simple, plain English contract stating what you provide, what percentage of music credit you expect (should be 100%), what consideration you get once the joint starts to sell, and so on.
- until it is signed (physical hard copy or faxed) and returned to you, nothing gets sent to him

Copyrighting is point less. Most of the hottest producers doesn't even do that. Since the rapper wants it for FREE, just send him a HQ Mp3 320 kbps file with your tag in the beginning .

Copyrighting is point less. Most of the hottest producers doesn't even do that. Since the rapper wants it for FREE, just send him a HQ Mp3 320 kbps file with your tag in the beginning .

Why is copyrighting pointless?

Upload the beat on Youtube first and add your tags on that beat, boom its copyrighted.

No, it isn't

Last edited by a moderator:
Send him the beat. I would suggest putting a tag on it, just to ensure some type of copyright to it. Most producers just use a tag to copyright their material, anyway. The pro to sending him the beat for free is the likelihood of the artist returning to give you legitimate business. I did this quite often when I started producing. Sending out tracks for free will keep artists around & keep you busy. More importantly, sending beats for free gives you a window of opportunity to expand your clientele. Say you post a beat on Youtube, or Soundclick for free download, artists will download the beat & begin to look for your beats in the future. Ultimately, if you send the beat to him for free MAKE SURE there is a tag on it & don't worry...if you make good, quality productions the artist will return business-minded next time around.

Okay he sent me the contract, the contract is for exclusive rights Now I told the guy that I have no card or anything, so I can't get royalties anyway..

He emailed me and said..nvm he's gonna use the beat on a free mixtape and since I'm giving him for free..no money is gonna be made anyway.

But he told me to still sign the contract and send him the stems still :s

Does that sound weird ? I haven't sent anything yet

If it's for a free mixtape why must I sign a contract ? Or is he trying to hustle me

Last edited:
Okay he sent me the contract, the contract is for exclusive rights Now I told the guy that I have no card or anything, so I can't get royalties anyway..

He emailed me and said..nvm he's gonna use the beat on a free mixtape and since I'm giving him for free..no money is gonna be made anyway.

But he told me to still sign the contract and send him the stems still :s

Does that sound weird ? I haven't sent anything yet

If it's for a free mixtape why must I sign a contract ? Or is he trying to hustle me

It's hard for us to help you without knowing exactly what the contract says.

Also, why are you giving away exclusive rights and stems free?

no no no aite let's go from the top

Dude hits me up and says he wants to lease a beat and asks for the price. I state that I'm not gonna charge because I'm new to this plus I don't have a card or western union or anything to get the money anyway.

So he sent me a contract, an exclusive rights contract and states if I want to retain the rights and just lease him that's cool but I won't get any loyalties etc.

I emailed him back and said I don't have any card,one. Two, if I give you exclusive rights does that mean I have to take it down from my soundcloud etc.

He emails me back and says, don't worry he changed his mind and he's gonna use the beat on his free mixtape so since I'm giving him for free anyway no money will be made. Therefore no need for a contract, but he still proceeds to tell me sign the contract and send the stems...

So I'm wondering what the hell is going on, if it's for a free tape why must I sign the contract and send him the stems ?

Last edited:
Making it complicated. I've had artist on my beats in their mixtape for free and never had to go to through all this contract stuff . Just send em your mp3 file with your tags in the beginning bro. Thats all he can get

no no no aite let's go from the top

Dude hits me up and says he wants to lease a beat and asks for the price. I state that I'm not gonna charge because I'm new to this plus I don't have a card or western union or anything to get the money anyway.

So he sent me a contract, an exclusive rights contract and states if I want to retain the rights and just lease him that's cool but I won't get any loyalties etc.

I emailed him back and said I don't have any card,one. Two, if I give you exclusive rights does that mean I have to take it down from my soundcloud etc.

He emails me back and says, don't worry he changed his mind and he's gonna use the beat on his free mixtape so since I'm giving him for free anyway no money will be made. Therefore no need for a contract, but he still proceeds to tell me sign the contract and send the stems...

So I'm wondering what the hell is going on, if it's for a free tape why must I sign the contract and send him the stems ?

Contract is still smart to have even if there is no exchange of funds. It covers his ass. Who's to say the track gets popular and you want to come after him later for pay. Not saying you would do this, but it happens. Mixtapes can be very profitable on an indie level.

He wants the stems so he can make a clean recording and proper mix (i would)... I'm guessing, as I don't know his motives.

soon as you make the beat it's copyrighted but you need to register the copyright with the government so you can it can be officially documented
the other stuff you guys mentioned has me smh producers please get educated
on copyright registering and how easy and fast it is to be done right from your computer

-Coach Antonio/Saint Antonio

Last edited:
to summarise the last 3 posters

1) sign the contract but make sure that you retain the rights to your music - i.e. you are giving him an exclusive license to use the beat but you retain all rights to future royalties

2) you beat is always copyright the moment you commit it to a recording but in some legal jurisdictions you need to register it with the government agency that handles formal recognition of your copyrights

3) stems are the individual tracks used for a mix - never give these away but make them available for a fee (otherwise it is too easy to find that someone else claims they created your beat)

in addition

4) register the work with a PRO (Performing/Publishing Rights Organisation) in your jurisdiction:in the USA these would be BMI/ASCAP and similar

5) never sign a contract without a lawyer reviewing it

6) if you are under the age of 18 you are a minor and cannot legally enter into a contract in most legal jurisdictions and require your parents or other legal guardian to sign on your behalf

7) get your banking details in order to avoid this part of the problem in the future

Last edited:
Back