Publishing vs. Copyright

P

PiR EmpirE

Hey guys,
Sorry I have been gone for so long... I have been working on my artists project... Dre City - Streets Is Callin... album is due out soon... (www.DreCity.com www.myspace.com/DreCityPiR) check him out...
but the question I have is this... What is the whole deal with Copyrights and Publishing? anyone who has both please tell me how you went about doing this... what is the best Publishing company? do I get publishing after copyrights? any and all info regarding both would be greatly appreciated!!

Aside from the part where you ask "what is the whole deal with Copyrights and publishing", you are asking thisgs that do not really make sense (no offense, but it is true)...

You really need to do some basic research and reading on the legal aspects of the music business... get the Passman book or the Kraslofsky book.

there is no such thing as "publishing vs copyright"... they are not opposing things... in fact, they are talking about the same thing.

You own a copyright to the music you wrote from the moment it is recorded (or written down)

When you have the "Copyright", it means you have sole the right to copy the work. You can keep it, sell it, give it away, whatever... but it starts being yours.

"Publishing" refers to things done with the underlying composition (as opposed to a "sound recording"...

For example, if you license a song for use in a movie, you get paid for the recording and you also get paid for the publishing/composition...

There are 2 copyrights in every song: the "sound recording" and the "composition"

when you have a "record deal", they are working with your sound recordings.

When you have a "publishing deal", they are working with your composition.

Asking "what is the best publishing company" is not really arelevant question... publishing companies basically just collect a lot of copyrights and try to license them to people. The "best" company may be considered the one with the most songs, or the best songs, or the biggest one with the most power, or a small one that gives you more personal attention, or the one with a particular person working ther, etc, etc...

Gotcha... sorry... my post was worded incorrectly... you pretty much answered my questions... thanks... but another question... why do some artists have multiple publishing companies on thier songs/albums? do you have any info on that?

Last edited by a moderator:
PiR EmpirE said:
Gotcha... sorry... my post was worded incorrectly... you pretty much answered my questions... thanks... but another question... why do some artists have multiple publishing companies on thier songs/albums? do you have any info on that?

because there are multiple writers

Aside from the part where you ask "what is the whole deal with Copyrights and publishing", you are asking thisgs that do not really make sense (no offense, but it is true)...

You really need to do some basic research and reading on the legal aspects of the music business... get the Passman book or the Kraslofsky book.

there is no such thing as "publishing vs copyright"... they are not opposing things... in fact, they are talking about the same thing.

You own a copyright to the music you wrote from the moment it is recorded (or written down)

When you have the "Copyright", it means you have sole the right to copy the work. You can keep it, sell it, give it away, whatever... but it starts being yours.

"Publishing" refers to things done with the underlying composition (as opposed to a "sound recording"...

For example, if you license a song for use in a movie, you get paid for the recording and you also get paid for the publishing/composition...

There are 2 copyrights in every song: the "sound recording" and the "composition"

when you have a "record deal", they are working with your sound recordings.

When you have a "publishing deal", they are working with your composition.

Asking "what is the best publishing company" is not really arelevant question... publishing companies basically just collect a lot of copyrights and try to license them to people. The "best" company may be considered the one with the most songs, or the best songs, or the biggest one with the most power, or a small one that gives you more personal attention, or the one with a particular person working ther, etc, etc...

One of the biggest reasons that people log into a forum is because they are trying to do some "basic research". Of course we should all take the time to thoroughly educate ourselves by reading books in the area of study for which we are looking to pursue, but sometimes we turn to the Internet via YouTube, Google, and forums just looking for quick answers. I think your reply was informative but a little r

Back