Psychedelic vibes

vndlist

What's up guys.
I'm pretty new to beat making, kinda starting to get the basics down.
Lately I've been listening to a lot of these type of songs:

Mac Miller - America
The Underachievers - Herb Shuttles
(can't post links because I'm new)

And I was wondering how do they achieve this kinda trippy psychedelic vibes?
Where can you find samples like that?

All tips are welcome and greatly appreciated.
Sorry for my English not being 100% correct.

Herb Shuttles' psychedelics mainly come from the synth melody and the reverb on said synth. Probably not a sample.

The Mac Miller song is somewhat uninspiringly sampled straight off of this:

Yes I have tried using LFO's and they are indeed a nice addition to some synths.

If I understand correctly, the way to go should be learn some synth design and go from there?

Try experimenting with FX packs on different synths. I'm not sure which DAW you use, but in Ableton sysnths can be re-imagined into an entirely new sound with the right effects and manipulation of effect.

Also pay attention to frequencies, if some of your synths are muddling at the same frequencies compared to each in their own zone can make a real difference.

As for learning synth design, playing around with Massive really helped me.

it's more than just lfos on the musical aspects of the tracks

use them to drive hpf and lpf cutoffs and resonances, creating some spacey wah-wah related effects, use delays with multiple taps, use an lfo to drive a vca, insert delays into the lfo path and and even use an lfo to set the delay time (weirdness will ensue but that is what you asking about anyway)

Hey man check this site out Vinyl Frontier....They have tons of samples available that you can download. It's like the web version of crate digging. I was able to find a lot of psychedelic material on there. Also, when you initially cut the sample mess around with it a lot. Reverse it, pitch it, speed it up, slow it down. You'd be surprised with the type of sounds you get.

Back