producing for over a year and still suck

MrJoPo

So i started making beats almost a year and a half ago and i still havent produced anything close to good. is this normal?

define your standard for good

then state what learning you have applied yourself to in the same time period

then we might be able to offer an opinion on the normalcy of your situation

good meaning something comparable to my favourite producers, or something i am happy with. wondering if anyone else is or has experienced the same thing.

examples of good? an example of your best piece also would help. we have no standard to offer any advice about

Maybe you are good and are too hard on yourself..

Maybe you aren't investing enough time and well-placed energy..

Maybe you weren't cut out for producing..

Post something up, and surely it'll become clearer to unbiased ears.

i've been at it 7-8 years and moved up in equiptment several times and im just starting to be confident at making beats, practise is all you need keep at it and try new things/equiptment, i learn something every new beat i finish look for tutorials and tips and tricks online for what you use and come back in 5 years..

Analyze your favorite songs, analyze yourself and analyze everything you like about your beats and take note of what you don't.
a year is nothing in music. Music is one of many things people can use to express themselves, so if it isn't for you it might not be your thing.
But if you like it, why question whether or not you should stop?do what you like.

Definitely normal, don't feel bad. We're in the internet era where people can blow up overnight but it takes years. Most established producers joke about how they don't even like listening to their old beats when they first started. Watch beatmaking videos of your favorite producers, make beats and then ask for opinions from others. The more you learn, the better you'll get. it's all bout repetition. There's a book I can't recall the name that says a person must perform at least 10,000 hours on his craft to perfect it. Technology has caused many to avoid good old fashioned hardwork. Embrace the blue collar work ethic in this digital age. Your work ethic is what can separate you from everyone else looking for overnight success. I wasted 2 years using royalty free loops and drum loops before I switched to vinyl and then learned how to make my own drum patterns with my first and only drum machine. I did that for a year and then I learned about FL Studio where I eventually starting to make my drum loops. It takes years for it to all come together. if you really enjoy what you're doing, the passion will keep you going. I did eventually burn out but I did it for 8 intense years. I was just starting to learn things like determinng the root note of a sample and adding basslines which can really enhance a track. Here's my first drum machine. It had a nice crunchy sound. I didn't use the sequencer. I just recorded the drum pattern into Acid. Quantizing the drums was the challenge and I eventually switched to FL studio.

Last edited:
dont worry it took me bout 10+ and im still growing ,growth is enevitable iff ur dedicated practice , it builds skill trust don't get caught up in thinking ,just create the future

ive been producing nearly 15 yrs on and off and still learning stuff, one thing ill say is just enjoy making music and dont worry about making it big. also try not to limit yourself by sticking to certain genres, branch out and make whatever you feel like doing at any moment. youll learn more in the long run and wont get bored of music as easily.

I sucked so bad one year after I started. It's not nearly enough time to even get remotely close to a professional sounding track. Keep at it!!! And try to analyze professional tracks that you like and compare them to yours: you will improve by practicing!

If anything you should compare the stuff you are making now to the stuff you were making a year ago, if you are seeing no difference in it then it might be time to rethink your approach.

am a newbie..less than two months in the game and am loving it..sometimes i am impressed with myself most times i want to get better..like i said am new so i am still with fl for now and a leaning tricks on YouTube videos and my intuition..any more tutorials and advice from you guys will be greatly appreciated

good meaning something comparable to my favourite producers, or something i am happy with. wondering if anyone else is or has experienced the same thing.

keep listening and studying those producers. its just like practice in sports or other things.

The 10K hour rule is from 'Outliers' by Malcolm Gladwell. A really awesome read that I'd suggest to everyone.

Back