Producing my own songs?

SunsetMan

Hello,

I am very close to finishing a song and would like to publicize it. I am confused.... where do I go from here?

I have read contradicting advice on line as to which way I should proceed. Some say, I can do this myself and put my song(s) on YouTube and spotify and build my own web site which would allow me to sell the tracks. Then there is the flip side where it is recommended to go through a distribution service like cdBaby?

so what's the best way to go and why.... ?thanks for replying.
sm

The best FIRST step in releasing a song nowadays for entry level artists is to find a promotor on youtube who specializes in your genre. Lots of these promoters are just regular people with no production knowledge or mixing ears to recognize problems. Very easy to get a sub par song on a channel with 20k+ followers. Just start looking around youtbue for channels that promote your genre and find submit demos to all of them. None of these guys will make you sign contracts, and dont if they ask unless you feel like you can go forward with it.

Hello KODID,

Thanks for replying to my post.

So do you disapprove cdBaby/Tunecore etc...? If so why?

The question that haunts me is what can these promotors on YouTube do that cdBaby/Tunecore can't ?

thanks
sm

CDBaby and the likes of it are commercial distributors. I'm sorry to say but no one's gonna buy your stuff just like that - there are probably millions of amateur producers just like you, uploading material on Youtube/Soundcloud/whatever all the time. Worrying about distribution at this point simply isn't a thing - although it's not a bad idea to think about it. But seriously, unless you have some kind of a masterpiece that you've been building for years there, just put it out there. Maybe some of those Youtube promoters can help spread the word, but don't worry about anything official right now.

Yah dont even have selling it in your mind right now. If a song is on youtube people can get it for free, and it has to be on youtube to create hype to sell it. So starting off your focus should be gaining as big of a following as possible. Which comes back to my first answer. Find someone with a ton of followers promoting a channel of your genre, analyze the music they release, make a song better than that, get it released, get a ton of fans- then worry about starting to sell the music.

I have no idea what you're genre is but this is how I seem to see the Edm industry working

Last edited:
yeah.... I guess you guys are right.... hype is the first thing to go for.

But you guys have to explain me something here.... we all agree that hype is important.... right.... but suppose a guy like me puts a couple of songs out there and eventually attains 5, 10 or even (let's be optimistic for a minute here) 20 thousand followers, (via or not a YouTube promoter), how is this an indicator that the time is right to monetize a new song with cdBaby when cdBaby ends up publishing the song on YouTube anyways and where everyone can download it for free???

Even though CdBaby publicizes the song on iTunes/band camp/spotify ect.... won't all my followers simply download it for free on YouTube?

Thanks for the help!
sm

Last edited:
You can get a basic youtube music license but in the end you cant stop anyone from downloading for free. And if you do have that one break out single or tracks then you have to allow for the fact that some of your fans are going to get your work of art for free. People shouldn't make music for rich fans but fans of their music. That's why most artist stay on tours or pick up other business opportunities. You will sell some music and you will have illegal downloads welcome to the technological age.

"You will sell some music and you will have illegal downloads welcome to the technological age."

Why musicians aren't doing the following is beyond me....

Why we as artists don't just put up our song(s) on YouTube (or anywhere else for that matter) up to a chorus and a half.... (enough to get the listener hooked on the tune) and then cut the song short... if one wants the whole song, they buy it.... simple as that!

There's no way this would not work.... but for some unknown reason..... no one dares to do this, which is a shame and is the #1 motive hindering today's music industry.

Last edited:
Back