Is Producing music really that hard?

Your good man. You already understand music theory it looks like. Trust me that is one thing that makes other cats successful over others when producing. Actually if you learn music theory and incorporate that base of fundamental understanding into your beats then you will be deadly. Shhh... It's a secret.

I never really understood what music theory is. It seems more like common sense or something that is acquired through constantly listening to music. But I already had a bunch of ideas for when I started making my music.

All you need to do is seriously become familiar with your software/instruments.

Then when you've learnt the basics, you start getting creative. Don't put pressure yourself, just relax and let ideas come to you.

How much of music theory do you think it's enough? I mean I know it's never enough, but how much music theory is good for you to step your game up? Knowing scales, chords, minor and major? Or maybe something more? Will I hit the brick wall knowing just the minor and major scales and chords? Will it be neccesary to learn MORE music theory at some point? Or can I make creative beats with current knowledge forever?

Basically, knowing more will always be an advantage because you can always apply what you learn to your current knowledge. It's all preogression. Knowing the technicallities is a must!

You first of all have to enjoy creating the music. If you enjoy it learning it will be effortless becuase you will be having so much fun that you won't notice learning.

I have fun when I tamper with garageband. But then I hear songs and I just wonder how I could ever do what they do, it just sounds so good; and I begin to doubt myself. This is basically the last career option I have left which has me more nervous than ever.

If you're just starting out it will probably be a bit hard at first and may feel a bit overwhelming.But if you're really determined and keep at it you'll slowly realize how it all makes sense and it only gets better from that point.

Sure there are a lot of tutorials on youtube on how to make certain types of beats and these will certainly help in figuring it all out faster.

Then it's just a lot of practice and you'll slowly but steadily get better.Good luck and don't give up till you make it!

I'm not like "everyone" and don't want to be drunk when I'm trying to do something serious.

On a serious note, drinking, smoking or whatever usually doesn't help me much. At some times I really have to concentrate playing an instrument when I'm trying to make a difficult loop. Being drunk or stoned doesn't help one bit at that. Sometimes being stoned helps me improvise but if I actually wanna record it then and mix it into some production I take a longer time then usual and don't come up with difficult links between instruments and effects.
Not being like everyone does get you somewhere imo, that is, if you're not trying to make it on the mainstream or pop scene. But mostly coming up with stuff that others don't come up with gives you a pre, if you make quality and stuff that ppl do like.

The tip i have is this.. as your a beginner in most aspects of producing..
the most important thing you need to do is gather the right resources.. Cause you could end up jumping from location to location trying to piece the puzzles together that way which isn't good, to form a good understanding of production you need to build from the bottom up at least at the start.. otherwise you will end up wasting time.

Will Youtube tutorials teach you what you need to know? or can you purchase/get a hold of tutorials from e.g macProVideo.com - Streaming Tutorial-Videos & HD Training Downloads for Audio, Graphics, & Video Editing Software or other sites like this and have a begining and an end to your learning process. both in the short term and long term.

I know this is a stretch, but if I was given the chance to intern with a pretty well known producer, should I take it? I'm in college but attend an online school so I live at home and do everything at home. If I was given an internship in California (I live in NJ), would it be dumb to pass down the opportunity? Not saying that I was offered, but just curious.

I know this is a stretch, but if I was given the chance to intern with a pretty well known producer, should I take it? I'm in college but attend an online school so I live at home and do everything at home. If I was given an internship in California (I live in NJ), would it be dumb to pass down the opportunity? Not saying that I was offered, but just curious.
Serious? The adventure, the things you could learn, hard to say no to tbh. If you don't have a woman/kids or a job tying you down to the location you are, MOVE :D
Tbh , what's this mysterious hypothetical crap man?

"What if I would be cleaning windows at a big studio and the top man hears me whistling a song, asks me to come inside and puts a record deal for 20 million euros under my nose,on the fly, would it be stupid if I would turn it down?"

"What if it would rain down lemon drops and gum drops?
Oh what a rain that would be...."

"What If the sound of me peeing, makes RZA's productions sound like fingernales over a blackboard, should I get in business selling my pee sound?"

Man, sounds like me being stoned throwing some random "what ifs" at it :victory:

Record producer Chuck Harmony was looking for an intern according to his site. I was planning on applying to it once I got a lot more knowledge under my belt. But the thing was, I don't really have the money right now and I'd rather have a little bit of a background before I even attempted to try and get that.

It always comes down to being able to sell yourself. Internships are easier to sell yourself to then actual gigs/jobs as they expect you to be somebody who has to learn stuff over being a professional. Selling yourself does become a lot easier if you have something to give. But convincing the other that there's no better choice then you is number 1. You could always try, if you don't try, you know nothing. There's also a lot more producers out there looking for interns. So if one doesn't want you, maybe the next one. But hey, if you feel like you're not good enough, don't try anything until you're ready to change your attitude and start believing in yourself. If you don't believe in yourself, how is someone else gonna believe in you? I assume that's your soundcloud in your link? If that's you, I'd say go for it. As I said, if you don't try, you know nothing at all. I don't know how much of those 2 songs you actually been producing over mixing them together like a DJ but I like them.

The thing was I haven't started producing yet, I'm just getting the money and preparing to but everything. I don't want/have a job since I live at home and was gonna make producing my "job" right now. I was thinking around a time like December I would apply for it. One problem is I have anxiety disorder which gets me really nervous about basically everything. The soundcloud songs are just my lyrics, not my voice or production. I'm not really a people person which would make me very intimidated around established producers.

Yeah, that kinda makes it more difficult. Gotta keep in mind that if you start making your job being a producer, you won't have income from the first day, unless your very very talented and/or very very lucky.
For the anxiety disorder, as a psychology student, I would say talk to a professional therapist about that. I think they'd be in a far better place to give you advice and counsel you through some difficult decisions. Next to that, they can help you shine a light on what right and wrong coping styles are, etc.
Anyway, gl man, PM would be a better place if you wanna continue this conversation I'd think.

Hi there,
Definitely it’s hard. Producing music is a multi-step process; what those steps are depends on the artist with whom you are working. At the least, as a producer you must be detail-oriented, have the ability to deal with different personalities, and have business sense.

It is hard as heck until you get good. After that, it becomes relatively easy.

New producers just have to grind it out for about 3 years. There really no shortcuts for putting in the time and doing the work. Even if an amateur is presented with shortcuts, he will not understand them. Just do the work for three years and build up your skill set.

buybeatsdownload.blogspot.com

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Honestly Its What you make it if you give up youll get nowhere

Back