Producers out there, how many hours a day do you spend making music?

PummelVision

As the title states, do you guys spend the majority of your time behind the workstation, or do you take a break every once in awhile? And also, is it good to find other hobbies to do (ie. play video games, workout,) or do you producers exert most of your energy and time into music production?

I had many other hobbies before I got into producing which I still do. But making music takes up so much time, I'm not complaining because I love it but it really gave me less of a social life and I'm all about business now. I'm a high school student so I still hang with friends but pretty much just on weekends. Otherwise I'm making beats from 9 in the morning to 3 at night nawmean. I spend that much time making music though because I love it and know I'm good and have potential to be great and turn this into a stable career. Yah, I catch myself getting out of shape sometimes, forgetting to eat. Not even getting out of bed. Barely any sleep. I kinda have to force myself to do my other hobbies now because making beats is way more fun.

I spend a lot of time messing with fl and reason, not every day like 2010-2012 but it's it is still alot lol.when I do it it's about 1-9 hours messing with everything in kong and drumaxx, omnisphere zebra garritan etc it almost replaced gaming entirely at one point then I found out about pcsx2 :p

rpgmaker is the most fun game i've found beside a few fighting games and such but yeah, I can see myself having beatmaking as a main hobby instead.Not sure why but I enjoy it alot.

As the title states, do you guys spend the majority of your time behind the workstation, or do you take a break every once in awhile? And also, is it good to find other hobbies to do (ie. play video games, workout,) or do you producers exert most of your energy and time into music production?

I make music whenever I'm inspired, an spend as much time as needed to prepare songs to the point of presentation. Maybe it's just me but I like to keep beat making more like fun and less like work, you know? I have other hobbies also, although they also revolve around entertaining with music.

Ive just been getting really inspired to spend ALOT more time on fl so i really have all day to work since its summer time too

2+ hours a day.If I can't dedicate that due to time constraints then I'm doing something that'll improve my game like practicing the keys,reading a book on music,creating drums etc

When i was younger and the beat market was more profitable I used to put in plenty of 10 hour days. nowadays i just make beats whenever a good opportunity comes around that inspires me or when someone that I know is about their business needs some tracks I will make up a fresh batch for them to choose from. Probably only average around 5 hours a week or so on beats.

Maybe 10-15 hours a week on average? Most of the time for 1-2 hours but occasionally for longer chunks on days off. I'd like to do more but not only is tough to find the time, I find myself having to take breaks to let my ears reset... If I don't I find that my music sounds really cool when I'm making it and then somehow turns to crap by the next day, haha.

Ive just been getting really inspired to spend ALOT more time on fl so i really have all day to work since its summer time too

Speaking of inspiration, I'm thinking about spending some time remixing this. Maybe I'll peak back to this thread to share a how much time it took. What do you think FP?

Last edited:
1-2 hours during week days, 4-5 hours during weekends. I have a job that takes most of my day, also my wife and kid as well.

1-2 hours during week days, 4-5 hours during weekends. I have a job that takes most of my day, also my wife and kid as well.

same here but I have two jobs instead of one saving for a down payment on a house. and two kids instead of one... and now it's summer we go to the water park,zoo,children's museum,and the downtown park
and being a Netflix freak doesn't help either

I hardly have time for music
I make a beat every two days but play around just about every day...
up to midnight and back up for work by 4.45 a.m.

Last edited:
I average about 1-2 hours on the days that I'm not working. Always stay hydrated, and look at a wall every now and then to save the eyes.

maybe an hour a day average... some days i'm not in the mood.. but some days i'm at it for 2-3 hours tops.. it all depends..

11 hours today alone. It takes a push for me to sit down and begin, but once I do actually get started I lose ALL track of time and it goes by crazy fast.

Did I mention that 11 hours was spent progressing my song an entire 35 seconds? haha. Not even sure i'll keep those 35 seconds either.

It doesn't even make sense to me that people are saying like 1-2 hours a day. When I get in the zone an hour feels like about 5 minutes.

Last edited:
11 hours today alone. It takes a push for me to sit down and begin, but once I do actually get started I lose ALL track of time and it goes by crazy fast.

Did I mention that 11 hours was spent progressing my song an entire 35 seconds? haha. Not even sure i'll keep those 35 seconds either.

It doesn't even make sense to me that people are saying like 1-2 hours a day. When I get in the zone an hour feels like about 5 minutes.

Exactly dude. Exactly. Most of the time I don't even get a beat done that day. Mostly because of my lack of resources but I could make beats all day all year. This is something that I want to be a career for me.

When I get more than 5 hours it's been a good week for me ;). And a couple more hours browsing sites and reading books related to music.
But I can't really call myself a producer, a hobbyist rather.

Lately I've been able to put in a good 5-6 hours. It's great being able to actually put in a sufficient amount of time to make progress.

Back