Problem with chorus

peshti

Hey guys all my beats are sample based and I always get stuck on the chorus. Can you give me some tips, techniques etc?

Thanks

Unless you want to use a totally different sample (which sometimes works well) it's looking for a variation on the flip IME

I don't make sample based music anymore, but that's where I started.

When I was working on a song, I'd create a big pool of all the loops that fit the feel I was going for, and that fit each other. But that doesn't mean all of them played all at once, all the time. Some would participate in the verse, others in the chorus, and others throughout the entire song to give the track consistency.

If your loop library is like mine, a loop may have siblings. Do you have four different bass parts that are all similar sounding? In the same style, with the same instrument, by the same musician, and in the same key? Grab one of them for your verse, and another for your chorus. Same goes for drums: does your loop library have 16 similar drum performances, but some are more complex than others? Add a simple one for your verse, and a complex one for your chorus. This will allow you to switch up the style without detracting from the consistency of your song.

Most tracks add intensity and complexity with the chorus, though same take away intensity and complexity for the chorus. Decide which you want your song to be, and then add more layers for the intense section. For example, make your chorus fuller sounding by adding a pad loop or a loop of weird effects. Maybe a second drum layer that sounds like a different kit, but layers nicely with the first drum layer. Add and take away, depending on where you are in the song.

And, in my opinion, adding even a little bit of instrument-based or virtual instrument-based performance to your track can help you easily scale the intensity for each section of the song while keeping consistency. Even an easy-as-can-be three chord pad synth part. Lower for the verse, but a little higher pitched and with a new chord for the verse. Super easy to record, or even to create with your mouse on the piano roll, and it can really glue your track together.

Try adding some elements that only come round with the chorus. Try thickening out your samples with some pads you've synthesized yourself or having some return effects on the samples that fatten up when it comes to the chorus.

Back