Presets and Instrument Packs.....VS.....Sample Packs....???

Chew_Bear

I use Ableton and I keep finding numerous presets packs and "DIY" / "made up" instruments of analog gear/hardware for some of the virtual instruments that come inside Ableton. (Don't know about other DAWs...FL, Cubase, Reason, Logic etc.)

If these preset packs and instruments offer more diversity, flexibility and tweak-ability for making my own unique sounds...

Would it be easier to just get these preset packs/instruments instead...therefore that way I don't have to get your standard 'run-of-the-mill' sample pack that every other producer buys and therefore you can somewhat set yourself apart and have a different/unique sound...???

Is there still a purpose or advantage to buying sample packs even though most producers buy them all the time because they are the easiest and most direct way to getting sounds and start producing...???

Since music is subjective and everyone has their own style/take on it...If you were to give 2 producers the SAME EXACT sample pack and tell them to make a song out of just that one pack...You would still get 2 different songs/perspectives even though they used the same exact pack...right...???

Therefore...even though it seems like every producer has the same standard 'run-of-the-mill' sample pack....If they are smart, creative and inventive...The same sounds that have been used already in say a famous/popular sample pack...can still hold numerous "Potential" to be turned into a Big/Good song even though its samples have been used extensively in the past...right...???

I guess its all in the tools and how you use them and makes no difference regardless of where the sound/sample comes from right...???

Help...?!?!?

It's the same thing with other daws if you mean if they come with stock sounds and such.
There's a bunch of free and paid drum kits everywhere also.

Although when it comes to presets for synths, imo it's best to just stick to free since presets of a synth are literally a configuration of parameters that can be touched.

Well, of course you can twist a pack of samples into something very improbable - but unless it's a personal mission to transform well-known samples beyond recognition, I don't see why you'd want to buy them in the first place, especially if you want to stand out. Then again, if that's a primary goal - why buy any packs? Just do your own sounds.

You can be creative using the same old presets, but if you can design your own sounds you can be doubly creative.

Also, they cost money, and a lot of amateur producers tend to be on a tight budget and I think most people would benefit more from spending their money other ways- like nicer headphones/monitors/microphones/new plugins/midi controllers-
But if you have the cash to spare then go for it

Back