Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piano Advice

Thanks

Piano Advice

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm looking to get started on piano, mainly to learn to play music in any Black music genre but my love is Jazz. My gradual goal is to incorporate the aforementioned genre, and eventually others, into instrumental Hip Hop compositions. I have no access to credentialed teachers who solely teach adults in my city plus not everything on YouTube is a good starting point so what should I do?
    Last edited by OGBama; 08-17-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OGBama View Post
    I'm looking to get started on piano, mainly to learn to play music in any Black music genre but my love is Jazz. My gradual goal is to incorporate the aforementioned genre, and eventually others, into instrumental Hip Hop compositions. I have no access to credentialed teachers who solely teach adults in my city plus not everything on YouTube is a good starting point so what should I do?
    Listen to alot of jazz and study the songs by ear.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapheaper View Post
    Only on future producers could someone ask about melody and have two posts which don't mention anything about notes.

Thanks
    Scales and chords.
    Learn to read sheet.

Then again that's all I currently know about music theory since I use a mouse in everything xD

Thanks
    I never, ever play more than 4-bars at a time of any instrument I'm recording.
    Bass and guitar I record audio and treat in the same way as I would a sample from vinyl.

Piano - I start simple and overdub. Then I edit the shit out of the MIDI. So I don't really play piano parts - I build them...
    I'm all about that boombap.

Thanks
    I'd recommend YouTube!!!

Thanks
    What city are you in, OGBama? I'll bet there is _somebody_ there that can teach jazz piano and theory...

GJ

Thanks
    HearAndPlay Music was a tutorial series I followed long enough to get me started. I'm like ImNoGuru, I don't really play piano, I build my piano parts. But I got more fluid when I started doing "Piano Freestyles". The object of my piano freestyle videos is to improvise as long as I can without repeating or messing up.I usually make a beat that I can loop forever, hit record and go. Example:
    "I set myself on fire, and people come to see me burn." - John Wesley

Thanks
    Step 1: Learn how to read sheet, know about scales and chords.
    Step 2: Play and listen to easy piano pieces. Try to make your playing sound like the recorded piece.
    Step 3: Gradually increase the difficulty of the piano piece. Always use piano sheet books that have the correct fingering.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ryamakesmusic Twitter: @Ryamakesmusic

Thanks
    I am unsure where you are located. However, if there is a Jazz and/or Blues scene in your area that caters to the soulful-side of the said genres, I would visit a few events and discuss with the keyboardist whether he or she offers lessons or would be willing to teach you. If he or she does not teach, the keyboardist or other musicians may know of someone for you to contact.

Also, at least in the areas where I have lived, the Gospel music scene has a lot of keyboardists, as well, that are familiar with Jazz, Blues and other urban music genres.

Unfortunately, the instructors that will more than likely benefit you the most are not going to be found online or via the yellow pages and do not actively seek students. Going out and finding them, in their playing environment, is the best option, based on my experience.

In the meantime, learning to read music is beneficial. Also, a good book to help get you started, in small chunks of information, is 100 Jazz Lessons: Keyboard Lesson Goldmine Series.

I hope this information helps.
    Last edited by TedH03; 09-02-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks
    Yea learn Chords and Scales, also learn some chord progressions in differents keys, that will help you to make tracks easier

Thread Information